Windows 11 codename : Sun Valley

3 hours ago, smiley said:

Maybe it's time to ditch windows. Yekaterina, what OS do you recommend?

Personal favourite: Fedora Workstation 34. 

If you like stability and outdated software: Debian and its derivatives

If you want something easy: Ubuntu and its derivatives

If you have high IQ and want bleeding edge: Arch

If you are feeling adventurous: OpenSUSE, BSD, Mandriva, Slackware...

I already ditched windows since 18th June 2021, graduation day. 

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Any Windows like in PC is good.

I don't like to use terminals 

Windows doesn't save you from terminals, it just gives you a stupid terminal that is almost unusable. 

If you don't like terminals, check out Deepin OS (if you don't hate China), Manjaro (for nubs and gamers), Linux Mint (I think Letswaveabook is using this), Ubuntu (a lot of 0AD players are on this) 

Using Linux does not necessarily mean you have to use terminals; Linux gives you an option to use terminals which makes a lot of things very simple and efficient. There is always a long-winded graphical way of doing things but most users would rather type in 1 line of command and hit enter instead. The habits of these people give you the wrong impression that anything other than Windows is CLI heavy but in fact they just give you an efficient alternative that you will eventually fall in love with. The same applies for BSD. 

But Lion I would recommend you to stay away from Arch because that stuff is actually command heavy and you need to install it by command yourself.

• Like 1

I was mostly joking, but thanks for the answers anyway.

Aside from my computer at home, literally every other computer I interact with runs Linux. Ironically, my work machine runs Linux too despite my own machine not running it which is usually the opposite problem to have. Then there are the servers.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2021 at 3:47 PM, DerekO said:

Yes, it has a wine pre-set

Winetricks, lutris, crossover...

You can do most Windows work-related tasks, but not gaming. No PUBG I am afraid, but fortnight runs I think. You don't need Zorin OS for wine but Zorin has a pretty desktop. 

On 29/06/2021 at 12:01 PM, Stan` said:

We could use more bsd testers.

I tried GhostBSD once and it felt quite similar to Linux. I will run it on virtual machines

And the acronym can remain as is - BSOD. :LOL:

I'm using Debian (stretch) in a VM (besides some other and smaller distros) on a Synology NAS with 16 GB - works nicely.

Now I am investigating which OS to install on an old Intel micro-ATX board with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @2.4 GHz with only 4 GB (DDR2) of RAM @800 Mhz (extendable to 16 GB - whether it's worth it, I don't know). The GPU is an NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 with 4 GB (DDR6) of RAM. Currently, it runs Windows 10 Home 64bit, which I am resetting (in the hope to get rid of some problems. Alternatively, I could install a free OS. Which OS would you recommend for gaming, e.g. of course 0 A.D., on that machine? (besides waiting for Win 11 with the brandnew black screen of death ^_^)

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

And the acronym can remain as is - BSOD. :LOL:

I'm using Debian (stretch) in a VM (besides some other and smaller distros) on a Synology NAS with 16 GB - works nicely.

Now I am investigating which OS to install on an old Intel micro-ATX board with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @2.4 GHz with only 4 GB (DDR2) of RAM @800 Mhz (extendable to 16 GB - whether it's worth it, I don't know). The GPU is an NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 with 4 GB (DDR6) of RAM. Currently, it runs Windows 10 Home 64bit, which I am resetting (in the hope to get rid of some problems. Alternatively, I could install a free OS. Which OS would you recommend for gaming, e.g. of course 0 A.D., on that machine? (besides waiting for Win 11 with the brandnew black screen of death ^_^)

I'm using Debian (testing) and that fares pretty well on a rig that is comparable to what you describe. ;) (Intel Centrino 2 @3.06 GHz, 4 GB @1067 MHz with a GeForce 9700M GT with 512 MB)

• Thanks 1

On 29/06/2021 at 12:01 PM, Stan` said:

We could use more bsd testers.

Subtle. ;)

On 03/07/2021 at 12:14 PM, Gurken Khan said:

Microsoft’s Blue Screen of Death is changing to black in Windows 11

The change to the BSOD screen I'd prefer would be that it wouldn't auto-reboot after a few seconds.

(I have a Windows 10 laptop issued to me for work. Sometimes - but not always - when I return to the office I find it powered off. Took me months to realise why - it BSODs, reboots, hits the bitlocker screen and - seeing as I'm not present to enter the code - powers down. I return later and have no idea why it's off.)

(Also, when I am present, by the time I've grabbed the nearest device capable of reading a QR code and opened the relevant app... the darn laptop's rebooted, and taken the code with it!)

On 16/06/2021 at 12:13 PM, Yekaterina said:

Also, why does the design look so similar to Windows 10?

From what I've seen, I'd say it looks more like Microsoft are trying to bring about the second coming of Windows Vista.

20 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Why does history have to repeat itself?

In all seriousness, was that a dig at Microsoft or at me?

(History repeating in the sense of Microsoft bringing back Vista-like ideas; or history repeating in the sense of the next wave of comparisons of a new version of Windows to a former, widely disliked, version.)

1 hour ago, s0600204 said:

In all seriousness, was that a dig at Microsoft or at me?

(History repeating in the sense of Microsoft bringing back Vista-like ideas; or history repeating in the sense of the next wave of comparisons of a new version of Windows to a former, widely disliked, version.)

I am very frustrated by Microsoft and how they make their OS. Windows is the most popular OS in the world so all software developers focus on them. There are so many softwares that can only run on Windows, yet it being a trash OS (getting even worse) is very very frustrating. We are forced to use it because certain software demands it but the experience on Windows is always excruciating. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I am very frustrated by Microsoft and how they make their OS. Windows is the most popular OS in the world so all software developers focus on them. There are so many softwares that can only run on Windows, yet it being a trash OS (getting even worse) is very very frustrating. We are forced to use it because certain software demands it but the experience on Windows is always excruciating. 

do not be surprised that... this version of Windows is more Anti privacy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Trinketos said:

Its Manjaro good?

Manjaro is only good for Linux noobs who want to try Arch but can't install it themselves. Manjaro is usable out-of-the-box and provides good support for gaming. Apart from that, it is trash. The last time I tried it it got itself into an endless loop of dependency clashes and eventually failed to boot. 

AUR works better on real arch. Remember this: real Arch or no Arch. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Trinketos said:

Its Manjaro good?

Yes it is. You get rolling updates, repos are sourced from arch, installation is easy and KDE images comes with great out of the box config. The manjaro and arch community don't get along, half because arch users are douches, half because manjaro users can't read the manual and somehow always end up in arch discussions. But that's a battle for people with way too much free time.

The logo doesn't matter in the least, so if you want Arch repos, rolling updates and don't want to manually install a system, go for it.

40 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

AUR works better on real arch. Remember this: real Arch or no Arch. 

AUR works the exact same way regardless of distro.

Regarding dependency hell, manjaro Devs have messed up before, don't update after pushes before a few days, let someone else check for breakage.

• Like 1