Windows 11 codename : Sun Valley

• Lion.Kanzen changed the title to Windows 11 codename : Sun Valley

I don't believe this. I remember Microsoft said they will only release new features for windows 10 and no new OS. Are you sure these are not powerpoints? Also, why does the design look so similar to Windows 10? 

Anyways, it will be 3 days until I can ditch Windows 10 and Microsoft office completely, so I am not interested in their new OS ;) 

OS that I recommend:

1. Fedora 34

2. Debian (not ubuntu or ubuntu derivatives!)

3. Arch (>=200IQ) Also real Arch or no Arch! 

4. OpenSUSE

OS to stay away from:

1. Any Microsoft stuff

2. IOS

3. Any non-open-source Google stuff

4. Ubuntu and any of its derivatives. 

5. Manjaro

6. Steam OS :D 

Hackintosh is interesting, only use it if you need some apple stuff or their video editor. 

Tail OS: don't know why you need that

Kali Linux: good for hacking and those interested in internet security, not so good for everything else.

BSD: Promising ZFS file system but too few software

Unix: not free

Android: used to be good, but not sure what Google is doing. 

JingOS: promising new OS but not sure how to install :( 

4 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Why Ubuntu is bad: when you type sudo apt-get install 0ad they give you A23! :( 

I installed linux mint 20 several days ago, and it does the same!

On the other hand, if you look in the software manager, you see two files and A23 is downloaded from the repositories while you also have the option there to get A24 from play0ad.com.

To be honest, I like to be able to use wine. And after installing mint 20, the software manager does not correctly install wine. And all of that in the very moment I was feeling like monk-rushing someone on Voobly.

1 hour ago, LetswaveaBook said:

I installed linux mint 20 several days ago, and it does the same!

On the other hand, if you look in the software manager, you see two files and A23 is downloaded from the repositories while you also have the option there to get A24 from play0ad.com.

To be honest, I like to be able to use wine. And after installing mint 20, the software manager does not correctly install wine. And all of that in the very moment I was feeling like monk-rushing someone on Voobly.

Linux mint is based on Ubuntu,it is a derivative of Ubuntu. So it has the exact same problems. :P

43 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I like Mint nd Zorin OS

They are both based on Ubuntu. Zorin OS is not open source and the pro version costs money, so I stay away from it. It is also a little bit slow due to the desktop environment. Zorin OS also aims to resemble Windows 10, which is a poor choice of role model. 

Mint is lightweight and is sufficient for Linux nubs. Everything is good apart from apt package manager. 

In general, I recommend getting the very basic grandparent distros (debian, arch, fedora) then customise the OS by yourself instead of using some superficial distro customised by other people. 

8 hours ago, m7600 said:

Another thing is that I wouldn't describe Kali Linux as "good for hacking", because this can give the wrong impression about that distro. Contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, the term "hacking" does not necessarily refer to illegal activities, nor is it necessarily restricted to network security. Firstly, although it might seem obvious, it should be said, just in case, that Kali Linux is not illegal, nor does it encourage illegal activities. Secondly, the term "hacking" is very broad and it means different things. In the context of programming, the term has nothing to do with "getting into someone else's computer". Instead, it refers to crafty but not entirely desirable solutions to a given programming problem. Let's use 0 AD as an example. 0 AD uses hacks, believe it or not. For example, look at lines 90 to 97 in cast.hpp. That's a hack. In other words, if you're fixing something in a program, in a creative but not entirely desirable way, then you're "hacking" that program. In any case, if would be more accurate to say that Kali Linux is "good for ethical hacking", understanding the term "hacking" here as vaguely synonymous with network security.

Sorry I did mean a mixture of white hat hacking, black hat, pentest and educational purposes. You can also experiment with security software. 

5 hours ago, Trinketos said:

I like Blender 3D :D

All of the OS mentioned above can run blender 3D. Some better than others.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, a jump from 20GB to 64GB (number sourced from Microsoft's website). What on earth is even in there.

The aesthetics are just weird now. File explorer is somehow even more lacking, still no tabs ftw. And I don't like rounded corners, I like sharp right angles and defined lines.

Startmenu seems to be better. Those atrocious tile things are no more and was replaced with widgets which seems to be a bit less atrocious.

Seems like they optimized for tablets / touch controls.

The size requirement alone makes me want to not update. Windows 10 supported until 2025, so there is still time.

• Like 1

64GB is not optimised for tablets my friend. A lot of tablets have 32GB or 16GB emmc disks, so Android is the way to go here ;) 

Windows 11 is said to be more optimised for gaming... they say they got some SDK component installed by default... I doubt that will increase my fps in 0AD 4v4 TG.  

Let's not even talk about aesthetics... who are they to talk about appearance when they can only have one desktop environment? 

1 hour ago, Yekaterina said:

64GB is not optimised for tablets my friend.

This size is for desktops and PCs. I meant the UI designs. The file explorer buttons and options are now spaced for touch controls. Makes it pretty ugly though.

Windows 11 is said to be more optimised for gaming... they say they got some SDK component installed by default... I doubt that will increase my fps in 0AD 4v4 TG. 

DirectStorage I guess. I doubt 90% of desktop games would see any performance impact out of it. Maybe new games built with it in mind would be faster. Regardless, loading assets with SSDs isn't that slow even without DirectStorage. I think they also ported some other graphic stuff over from xbox.

Let's not even talk about aesthetics... who are they to talk about appearance when they can only have one desktop environment? 

If there are no fancy animations, and graphical effects hogging resources, I am fine with it to be honest.

31 minutes ago, smiley said:

DirectStorage I guess. I doubt 90% of desktop games would see any performance impact out of it. Maybe new games built with it in mind would be faster. Regardless, loading assets with SSDs isn't that slow even without DirectStorage. I think they also ported some other graphic stuff over from xbox.

Just get a NVME M.2 SSD and you are ready for anything. If you are extra fancy you can go for PCIE SSD. NTFS has the worst performance out of all file systems second only to FAT32, so no matter how they optimise it any Linux or BSD system will smash them easily in performance. 

33 minutes ago, smiley said:

If there are no fancy animations, and graphical effects hogging resources, I am fine with it to be honest.

Unlikely for them to remove graphics effects. They think their customers are stupid, and the sad fact is, a lot of them are. People spend extra money on the looks of their systems and chassis... when you don't know any computer science...

Dude, wouldn't it be easier to allow users to install xfce or gnome or kde on their windows system?

4 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Dude, wouldn't it be easier to allow users to install xfce or gnome or kde on their windows system?

I don't think so. In windows land, things are not that modular. 

Maybe it's time to ditch windows. Yekaterina, what OS do you recommend?

• Haha 1