Happy Birthday Jeru!

Thanks everybody!!!

(Rep++ all around)

I had the best birthday party in my life on Friday! In general I think my 17th birtday has probably been the best birthday I ever had. So I've been having a hell of a time recently.

I wish I knew how to say Happy Birthday in Hebrew!

יום הולדת שמח (Transliteration: yom hulédet samé'akh, you should be fine reading the transliteration if you can read Spanish, but if you can't, it sort of sounds like yowm hoo-LED-et saw-MEH-akh)

From right to left, of course. It's a bit confusing with this Western software, but it's easy to get used to all the oddities. If I were home I'd write something in Hebrew too (public computer = no way to have Hebrew fonts + keyboard set)

Happy birthday, Aviv!

יום הולדת שמח (Transliteration: yom hulédet samé'akh

so when a vowel is pronounced before a (final) gutteral, is it separated from previous vowels by a 'alef? As in mitzvae'akh (sp?)?*

*I'm transliterating the tzaerae malae' as ae, just like the tutorial I'm following does, but I pronounce it more like tzeréi malé' with Spanish-like vowels

Rohirwine, I don't really understand the question... But Hebrew is written from right to left and that's the way it shows up on my computer.

Sukkit,

so when a vowel is pronounced before a (final) gutteral, is it separated from previous vowels by a 'alef? As in mitzvae'akh (sp?)?*

I assume you're referring to מזבח, which would be transliterated mizbae'akh (In Hebrew: Altar). I can think of a dozen other words like that off the top of my head:

ריח réyakh / ré'akh - "Odor"

מבטיח mavtí'akh - "He promises"

אבטיח avatí'akh - "Watermelon"

-----

פותח poté'akh - "He opens"

זורח zoré'akh - "He shines"

פורח poré'akh - "He blooms"

זורע zoré'a - "He sows"*

פוגע pogé'a - "He hurts"

-----

פתוח patú'akh - "Open (m.sin.)"

פגוע pagú'a - "Hurt (m.sin.)"

תפוח tapú'akh - "Apple" (Comes from the root תפח, which means "to bloat")

...and all other verbs in these last two mishqalim (qotel and qatul, respectively, both from binyan pa'al - beinoni), when the last radical letter is khet or ayin. (As I showed in מבטיח, this occurs in other binyanim as well - in this case, הפעיל hif'il).

This is a special phenomenon called patakh gnuvah ("Stolen patakh" - Not quite sure where it was stolen from). This phenomenon occurs only in a final khet and ayin, AFAIK. Without the patakh gnuvah, one would have to say *potekh, *poge', and *patukh, *pagu', just like one would say kotev and katuv. While this happens all the time in Arabic and is just left as it is, the Hebrew tongue cannot stand such obscenities and must make things easier to pronounce!

In principle your analysis is right, but I'll rephrase it to be precise: When patakh appears under a final khet or ayin, it is seperated from the previous vowel by a glottal stop sound. This is the patakh gnuvah.

* הזורעים בדמעה ברינה יקצורו - "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy." (Psalm 126:5) :D (It's very common to quote all kinds of famous sayings when teching Hebrew. Instills some of the culture and heritage among all the linguistic babble, so to speak)