suggestions for Next Alphas (A26-30)

Lion.Kanzen

that elephants can break trees (to open roads and in case they get stuck)
Iberians and Lusitanians with Frisian fields, to jam battering rams and break infantry formations. 
that the siege towers serve to be able to capture
and the Macedonian siege towers can carry artillery inside them.
what more than one wants, a way to detect the last troops of the enemy, that requires some condition, like that the enemy has less than 10% of maximum pop or has no zone of influence. 
also make it so that mercenaries can take resources or give a raise to the workers, like women used to do T.T.

9 minutes ago, Nullus said:

It would be nice to have battalions implemented at some point. If I understand correctly, this would be fairly easy to add, at least in a basic form.

things would change a lot.  You have to discuss how to implement them.

Not all of us agree in that regard.

What I had in mind was a system where players could combine groups of soldiers into battalions. Players could give orders to a battalion as a whole, and all of the soldiers in the battalion would obey them, for example move and attack orders. Players could group soldiers into battalions and break battalions apart into individual soldiers. That way, citizen-soldiers would still be useful for more micromanagement for economy during peacetime, but they could also be easier to manage in battles. The description of D2175 is pretty close to what I had in mind.

If people come up with more advanced ideas for battalions, they could be implemented in the future, but I think that this would be a good base for them. 

- Balancing (obviously)

- Projectile trails for ranged units

- Make corrals more useful, or have maps where you can't build farms

- Sound & particle effects for healers

- Han Chinese & Scythians

- Asset rework for the older civs; Persians, Iberians, Carthage (the Greeks still look fine)

- Legionaries for Rome (I mean they're already in Atlas)

- Option to set default unit behavior to attack buildings instead of capturing them

- Turret mechanic for ranged cavalry units

- Torches for night maps (in its initial implementation they could just be night variation of buildings)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/06/2021 at 1:11 PM, LetswaveaBook said:

By the way. If you save a game and then load it again, it does not generate a correct replay file.

I think it's possible to merge the replay files for one game, but I never did it.

Suggestions:

- reconsider the availability of Cretan merc archers only at dock/trireme (Athenians); I'd love to have archers, but there's not a single puddle on the map (like a lot of MP maps)

- reconsider potentially useless team bonuses (ele bonus for non-ele civ, naval bonus on land maps...)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Themistocles? I have an idea for him, but I am not sure it wouldn't get shot down as ToO RaDiCaL.

Okay, so for "naval" heroes, such as Themistocles, I think it could be possible to have a tech pair, where you can choose 1 of 2 auras for him to have. So, he'd have his naval aura as a possible choice, and then perhaps a walls/fortress aura, and the player can choose which one for him to unlock.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

wouldn't get shot down as ToO RaDiCaL.

-5121140093048957362_120.jpg.e7fc9ed4385d04a83c6f48d5c3d9bc72.jpg

Facebook watches.

15 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphoneLet's hear it anyway, I'm all for radicalism! ;)

I'm afraid you've been exposed to a lot of Delenda Est radicalism and propaganda.

I admit it, I have plans for the game.

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I'm afraid you've been exposed to a lot of Delenda Est radicalism and propaganda.

I admit it, I have plans

What? Declare all Delenda Estians terrorists? ;P

Since I had massive stability problems with previous alphas I didn't feel like experimenting, I might check out mods like DE in a25.

On 20/06/2021 at 6:30 AM, Dragonoar said:

- Projectile trails for ranged units

Yes, please. As long as they are subtle and not a mile long and adjustable for mods or in settings. (y) 

- Make corrals more useful, or have maps where you can't build farms

Srsly. Let's make sheep, goats, and cattle capturable, and then give a trickle of food when garrisoned in a Corral. 

- Han Chinese & Scythians

Yassss Kween.

See: Delenda Est and Terra Magna. They could easily be added to base game.

- Asset rework for the older civs; Persians, Iberians, Carthage (the Greeks still look fine)

I think the Persians still look awesome (their wonder needs changed to the Apadana of Darius). The Iberians could use a higher resolution texture, and Carthage could maybe use some updates.

- Legionaries for Rome (I mean they're already in Atlas)

Hmm, technically Hastati and Triarii are already "Legionairies," but I know what you mean. Probably need some kind of "Ragnarok"-type tech or power to convert all Citizen-Soldier infantry to champion "Marian" Legionnaires. Maybe a kind of "timed" choice that's high-risk high-reward. 

- Option to set default unit behavior to attack buildings instead of capturing them

Yessssss. I would even make it an in-game feature that you can toggle at-will. A "policy" choice that can be toggled.

- Turret mechanic for ranged cavalry units

WIP

• Like 1

On 20/06/2021 at 11:30 AM, Dragonoar said:

Turret mechanic for ranged cavalry units

Easy solution:

1. Replace the cavalry template with siege tower template

2. Tweak the siege tower template slightly

3. Replace siege tower actor with cavalry actor

Just tell me what stats you want and I will make it for you. I think the Scythians and Parthians deserve this feature, as this was how Rome was smashed at Carrhae. Hmm, why has no-one mentioned Parthians yet? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yes, please. As long as they are subtle and not a mile long and adjustable for mods or in settings. (y) 

Thought you hated that :P Could be done with particles. no way to make it work without it, unless I add a big rectangle behind the arrow eg something like that.

|==========| >-------|>

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Thought you hated that :P Could be done with particles. no way to make it work without it, unless I add a big rectangle behind the arrow eg something like that.

|==========| >-------|>

Basically I hate how difficult it is to see arrows in EA so much I'm willing to settle for contrails. Lol

They're not too bad as long as they're subtle. Problem is they're hardly ever used subtly. Lol

3 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

'Turret mechanic for ranged cavalry units' What does that mean?

Instead of the horse that rotates it's the guy riding the horse, so archer cavs behave more realistically

also allows for parthian shot and run n gun gameplay a la horse archers in total war (which could be annoying and/or OP). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yassss Kween.

See: Delenda Est and Terra Magna. They could easily be added to base game.

I did. I think the han chinese is quite ready for release, but the scythians still need some works, im talking purely about the art of course

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yessssss. I would even make it an in-game feature that you can toggle at-will. A "policy" choice that can be toggled.

It's not that I hate this feature, it's just that unless I micromanage everything, my soldiers often try to capture a building alone and end up getting shot by towers, or just waste their time because the capture point won't go down. at least with default attack behavior they help reduce the building's HP.

it doesn't help either that they can't prioritize which buildings to capture first. like I don't need the houses or their farmsteads I need the barracks

• Like 3

Some sort of fatigue would be cool for a mod. Only replenishes when near a building which is tied to an area that has a civic center(to prevent capturing a building and instantly being replenishes)

Fatigue affects move speed and armor/attack/combat. That way an attacking army that wins has a decreasing effectiveness over time.

Maybe some way to control running/walking more. Maybe if they haven't run for 30 seconds then their next command will run for the first 5 seconds. 

• Like 1