How Do You Take Down Notes?

It's intended to be a place where everyone can describe his method at taking down notes. Maybe we can get some profitable hint from other's ways of studying.

For istance: i take very "graphical" notes, in the sense that i divide concepts with grafical signs and with actual spatial separation (like square boxes linked by arrows and so on). Moreover i use to number the pages (otherwise i would soon find myself in big troubles).

As for summarizing books i have to study, i use the same method, but with a particular timing.

First i read a chapter, then i try to list the most important concepts by mind. Then i check the outcome and, if i'm not satisfied with it, i add the things that were left out and then i copy it all on a new sheet.

After that i must say that i almost don't go back to the book: i rely mainly on my notes.

And now it'syour turn.

:)

Matteo

In class I just jot down sentences the teacher says and seem important to me. Of course, I normally copy whatever s/he writes on the board, since they are often the highlights of the topic at hand. I try to write with as many logical connectors as possible: cause/effect, comparison etc.

Me too.

I write everything that is on the projection screen and anything on the boards. In addition if they are jsut talking then when they repeat something twice or give a 'umph' to it I will write it down.

Also whe nthey say 'this is very very important, it will be on the test' is a good sign to write it. (read that but use an Indian accent, then you got my biology teacher) :)

I have a bad habbit of not taking notes, usually my memory helps me... though if I do take notes it's when the teachter TELLS me to do so or if I'm having trouble in an area (has happened only once, long ago) then I use highlight words like....

But the ring was not on the island; he had lost it, it was gone. His screech sent a shiver down Bilbo's back, though he did not yet understand what had happened. But Gollum had at last leaped to a guess, too late. What has it got in its pocketses? he cried. The light in his eyes was like a green flame as he sped back to murder the hobbit and recover his 'precious'. Just in time Bilbo saw his peril, and he fled blindly up the passage away from the water; and once more he was saved by his luck. For just as he ran he put his hand in his pocket, and the ring slipped quietly on to his finger. So it was that Gollum passed him without seeing him, and went to guard the way out, lest the ‘thief’ should escape.

Ring lost Gollum Mad Bilbo Runs Invisible Gollum Passes, though some times a bit more detail...

I never take graphical notes, too lazy :)

good topic. Like ph4tom, I rarely take notes, especially in math or science classes. Important equations and examples normally work though.

As for history (my main note-taking class) I wield a bic 4-color pen and make my notes gaudy: green for chapter titles, blue for major section titles, red for detail section titles, and everything else in black. Fits the book we use well ;)

Color-coded notes are really good though, once you get a system down its very easy to go back through them when craming for a midterm :)

I tend to abbrev. and cut "filler" words (to, and, a, ect.) in notes.

This is not such a problem in Hebrew, since in Hebrew script one normally only has to write the consonants - a kind of shorthand, if you like. Makes for a much faster dictation speed. B-)

I tend to abbreviate things by decreasing the number of words, but not the actual words. Then I draw a scribble that is close to the shape of the word. The result is a mess that even I have trouble reading.

Of course, it doesn't help that my writing 1.5 to 2 millimeters tall. (I measured it just now.)

Yet, somehow I still manage to get A+'s. Don't ask me how.

As for history (my main note-taking class) I wield a bic 4-color pen and make my notes gaudy: green for chapter titles, blue for major section titles, red for detail section titles, and everything else in black. Fits the book we use well 

Une idee tres bien!

That would fit my history textbook well also. :)

I tend to abbrev. and cut "filler" words (to, and, a, ect.) in notes.

This is not such a problem in Hebrew, since in Hebrew script one normally only has to write the consonants - a kind of shorthand, if you like. Makes for a much faster dictation speed. B-)

Burarum, this sounds very... hmmm... ...hasty... ;)

These are my notes (90% of them) from our first history unit in Latin.

Warning: big file. small notes.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/users/ryan/la...latin_notes.gif

Ouch!

I wonder how you're able to read them after a while... ;p

I try to reduce things on paper, rather than write with tiny letters (also because i would find difficult to read anything after a few weeks ;) )

Matteo

P.S. Timbo: it was Ryan, not Me ;)

I write very fast and my handwriting is tiny, so sometimes it can be hard to decipher later. My notes are basically just text; I use few things like arrows, etc. Oh, and of course, I use things like x instead of "por" ("por" is used to multiply: 3 por 4 = 3 by 4), xa (="para"), xq (="porque"), etc.