Climbing hills

Hello!

In a24, I put 5 workers to build a fortress on top of a hill plateau. The structure was started but suddenly stopped. I realized that the workers could not climb that hill at all (which was not obvious to me before). Is this a known problem? What would you recommend about it? It's this something that can be corrected in code?

I will try to find that spot again and provide a screenshot and replay file if possible.

Possible reason: a part of that terrain is considered buildable for buildings, so the foundation can be placed down across the two types of terrains, as long as the greater part of the foundation is in the buildable terrain. However, it might be impossible for the worker to walk to an edge of the building and start working on it as they might be forced to traverse through an unpassable terrain.

In this situation I recommend just deleting the foundation before you start and build it elsewhere. You won't lose much resources.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Hello!

In a24, I put 5 workers to build a fortress on top of a hill plateau. The structure was started but suddenly stopped. I realized that the workers could not climb that hill at all (which was not obvious to me before). Is this a known problem? What would you recommend about it? It's this something that can be corrected in code?

I will try to find that spot again and provide a screenshot and replay file if possible.

Usually it means a not good map design.

• Thanks 1

I find it very difficult to design a map and to check and ensure that even the tallest building of any civ plus workers fits on any seemingly possible spot. In other words: From my perspective, it's impossible to ensure (as map designer) that all hill plateaus are large enough when they seem to be large enough. Oh my, it's very difficult to describe it, too. ;)

So maybe just let's leave it at that (and I shall keep in mind the hint about the foundation).

If I'm interpreting parameters in simulation\data\pathfinder.xml correctly, the maximum passable incline for both units and buildings is 45 degrees. Personally I think a good practice for any map maker is to mark any impassable inclines with a unique terrain texture. That way there is no ambiguity about where units and buildings can go.

• Like 1

Currently the engine doesn't support affecting the pathfinder (or anything else) with terrain textures. I think the pathfinder consider the grid to be uniform, as in it would ignore units being slower on mud if that was implemented.

• Thanks 1