Tasklist for closing out A25

As we enter Feature Freeze, we're going to be looking for the last balance adjustments before Commit Freeze (no exact date yet).

There are a few patches that I will merge soon, with some tweaks. I am taking opinions until them:

• Lowering Crossbowman walkspeed: D4096
  • XP trickle at stable & elephant stable: D3994
  • Lower Forge tech cost: D3679 < I am taking opinion on the Iber/Maurya tech
  • Add ram to Roman siege camp & increase cost slightly: D4080
  • Increase elephant archer pop to 2: D3599
  • Lower champion Elephant armour to pierce slightly: D4058

If there are simple patches missing, feel free to raise them here.

During Feature Freeze, we'll also be listening to balance feedback and make adjustments if necessary, however the objective is not to completely change the balance or introduce "nice to have" features, but try to make the balance better, nerf OP units, and/or make some civs more/less viable.

I am particularly interested, this time around, in:

• Data on archer & cav archer: are they still too OP?
  • Data on rushing & 'less turtled' gameplay.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, wraitii said:

XP trickle at stable & elephant stable: D3994

Lower champion Elephant armour to pierce slightly: D4058

Add ram to Roman siege camp & increase cost slightly: D4080

yes.

Don't have a strong opinion on the other ones.

I am wondering, incidentally, if the slightly better movement of elephants via pushing wouldn't justify nerfing them a bit, particularly with regards to crush damage, as they are more efficient now at actually reaching buildings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wraitii said:

I am wondering, incidentally, if the slightly better movement of elephants via pushing wouldn't justify nerfing them a bit, particularly with regards to crush damage, as they are more efficient now at actually reaching buildings.

Get rid of crush completely and give them a little more hack. :)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Get rid of crush completely and give them a little more hack. :)

You mean like one type of damage per type of attack? :D Nonsense :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Crush armor of structures is low in order to make them vulnerable to siege. 

I know. But yes but Yekaterina found a way to my slingers only hurt units with some crush attack.

8 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@Yekaterina Would it be possible to give the elephant crush damage without effecting defensive structures?

Give them a negative bonus against structures

<Bonuses>
<BonusCavMelee>

<Classes>Structures</Classes>

<Multiplier>0.01</Multiplier>

</BonusCavMelee>
<Bonuses>

4 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Actually we can keep the original values but give them a negative bonus against buildings. 

Seems worse (though it's a thrifty idea), because that's less readable for players.

10 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Seems reasonable, but what about pierce? Elephants had tusks that can stab people. 

Honestly I think giving units both Hack and Pierce makes little sense, and it seems to me Hack makes more sense for elephants.

But overall I would probably like to entirely rework the stats of our units at some point, the damage types make no sense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wraitii said:

Honestly I think giving units both Hack and Pierce makes little sense, and it seems to me Hack makes more sense for elephants.

But overall I would probably like to entirely rework the stats of our units at some point, the damage types make no sense.

So true. We would like to add poison and fire as well, so 5 damage types in total. But of course we need our balancing advisors. 

giving crash damage to slingers, but also a malus towards buildings, is like giving someone a bike, but also take the wheels out of it. damage types are not a fancy way of describing how some hit is gonna hurt, their scope is to discriminate the effectiveness of that damage against different classes of targets. crash damage is for those units that are given a role in damaging buildings, otherwise they can have a different damage type.

also, damage types that don't have any real strategic implication (like poison) could be removed entirely, as they only complicate the game needlessly.

the source of all this confusion seems to be the naming of damage types. it's been proposed to change it many times.