Phabricator is no longer being maintained (upstream)

As mentioned on #0ad-dev, Phacility (the organisation behind Phabricator) is winding down operations, and - as of June 1st - Phabricator is no longer being maintained.

We're self-hosted, so the only impact on us is that existing bugs, security vulnerabilities, and so on may/will remain unpatched. (They claim to no be longer accepting bug reports, and have stated a plan to decommission "Discourse", the site they prefer people use to submit reports.)

There does appear to be a group that are considering forking Phabricator and continue down their own path. Very little news (as of yet) about how the "big" users (e.g. Facebook, Wikimedia, Mozilla) will be handling this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for bringing this up. I guess it's another time where it's urgent to do nothing.

I guess this might make it easier to move away from Phabricator, as people might share migration scripts. Might also end up with a straightforward fork that's not a one-man project and end up with a more functional product. We'll see.

On 04/06/2021 at 6:16 PM, wraitii said:

We'll see.

Indeed.

I've been lurking in the chat room of the proposed fork: thus far they've chosen a name: "Phorge".

Amongst the ongoing discussions, I think the one most relevant to us (in that it might affect our own decisions) is that they're considering dropping support for subversion (and mercurial) repositories.

(Also, for those who don't like arcanist, there's been some discussion about replacing it with a new cli client (written in rust/go) and/or supporting "git push" directly.)

13 minutes ago, s0600204 said:

Amongst the ongoing discussions, I think the one most relevant to us (in that it might affect our own decisions) is that they're considering dropping support for subversion (and mercurial) repositories.

So they would be forcing us to migrate XD

13 minutes ago, s0600204 said:

(Also, for those who don't like arcanist, there's been some discussion about replacing it with a new cli client (written in rust/go) and/or supporting "git push" directly.)

That would be great, it's so broken on windows by default you have to use git bash for it to even work...  

Yeah, most of the replacement appear to not support SVN and I would expect that dropping SVN would be on the horizon regardless. If that happens, we would need to migrate anyways, so it's looking likely we should start looking at really doing that.

• Stan` locked this topic