Alpha 25 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

@Yekaterina I think it's a bad diagnostic. The problem lies in the fact gtk3 has wx-config-gtk3 executable and no longer a wxconfig executable like gtk2 did. This can be overriden by passing WX_CONFIG=wxconfig-gtk3 or something to update workspaces.sh (in theory you shouldn't need gtk2 at all) You shouldn't need to pass enable atlas. Not sure it's even a flag so I'll take your word for it.

My Konsole terminal told me I was missing "wx widget" and recommended that I install "wxgtk" packages. I searched this up in AUR and installed all three things that include "wxgtk" in their name and it worked. I know it is GTK2 because my GTK3 theme is WhiteSur and GTK2 is set to be Breeze; the Atlas looks distinctively Breeze and not WhiteSur at all. 

I am sure there should be a neater solution but this is the best I could do for now. 

It is perfectly usable and not too ugly

8 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

0ad-nosil4.jpg.ed517d65f322921db3f01570501960ba.jpg

I never got a reply regarding the silhouettes being unreliable. @Stan`

Would be great if we can have a metal deposit silhouette or some marker, because today when I played A25 my women were mining a small lump of metal under a huge canopy when I thought that they were chopping the trees. That slowed the boom quite a lot. 

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

Would this be possible in the GUI, too, in a future version? The average player will not know how to tweak a template. Are there any further objects that currently remain hidden despite silhouettes are turned on in the GUI?

We don't support differentiating types of silhouettes so it will have to be added first.

If they have silhouettes no.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

War ships where mostly floating barracks so basically not enough cargo space.

I anticipated a reply like this. It's simply not how treasures work anywhere else in the game. Cav and women for example can pick up endless amounts of treasures (eg 'Canyon', eight treasures); so this pseudo-realistic argument against warships being able to collect doesn't convince at all.

I still get crash upon opening Atlas with Unhandled unknown exception error. Like this:

gambar.png.d373e2a6424268a1ca3322897b7fd36e.png

I have attached the crashlog.txt below. Entire logs folder has also been attached, although not sure if it helps since mainlog and interestinglog don't show anything suspicious. This still happens even after I deleted cache folders. Is it just me?

crashlog.txt logs.zip

• Thanks 1

On 08/07/2021 at 4:38 PM, Gurken Khan said:

0ad-collecttreasures.jpg.d1770772604286c952e5e92105b2b812.jpg

AFAIK shipwreck treasures can only be collected by merchant ships? I was too stupid to figure that out on my own, so maybe that could be included in the tip? Or changed of course; I don't get why you can't collect the treasure if you can reach the wreck with any unit...

Ooo.  Ive played 0ad for a long time and just learned this nuance.  Wow.

19 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I anticipated a reply like this. It's simply not how treasures work anywhere else in the game. Cav and women for example can pick up endless amounts of treasures (eg 'Canyon', eight treasures); so this pseudo-realistic argument against warships being able to collect doesn't convince at all.

I don't think there was any "realism" argument originally, just to make the merchant ship a little more useful. 

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't think there was any "realism" argument originally, just to make the merchant ship a little more useful. 

I always hated it. Just let the merchant do his business; instead when I scouted sth with my warship I had to send the commercial nutshell after it. Which is especially annoying when you have hostile ships & fortifications around.

But I hated ships anyway and often wouldn't play naval maps because of that. Now ships are less stupid & annoying, but naval maps don't seem to come up with random random maps & default filter.

12 hours ago, azayrahmad said:

I still get crash upon opening Atlas with Unhandled unknown exception error. Like this:

gambar.png.d373e2a6424268a1ca3322897b7fd36e.png

I have attached the crashlog.txt below. Entire logs folder has also been attached, although not sure if it helps since mainlog and interestinglog don't show anything suspicious. This still happens even after I deleted cache folders. Is it just me?

crashlog.txt 18 kB · 0 downloads logs.zip 16 kB · 0 downloads

I thino there is an error in the environment. You are running more than 1 instances of 0ad simultaneously, so the program crashes. Try killing all 0ad process in the task manager, reboot pc. If this problem still occurs, you may be missing files. In that case download atlas.dll from the repository and copy it to binaries/system folder.

Furthermore check if your wx widgets have been installed and activated

• Thanks 1

How can I track down the reason that a self-made map of my kids causes crashes on their editors when they try to open it again in Atlas (no other instance of pyrogenesis running) - i.e. on 2 PCs - but opens without problems in the editor on my laptop? (same RC2 of a25) All 3 devices have 8 GB of RAM, so it does not seem to be a shortage of memory (the almost flat map is giant with lots of animals but almost no trees, plants, or any structures ;)).

Edited by Ceres

12 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

But I hated ships anyway and often wouldn't play naval maps because of that. Now ships are less stupid & annoying, but naval maps don't seem to come up with random random maps & default filter.

I think base game should just go the AOE route and skip all the notions of realistic size, movement, garrisoning siege engines on deck, etc. Just have an upgrade progression (like in AOE). Light Warship -> Medium Warship -> Heavy Warship, and size the ships down a little for better pathfinding. The only "cool" feature I'd maybe implement is ramming, since it's just an extension of charging, a feature we all want for soldiers anyway. But other than that, just stick to the AOE formula for ships, because anything else (besides ramming) will be too complicated to get right, unless someone comes swooping in and wants to put 100 hours into it. Better to make them playable than to spend time and capital on making them half-realistic.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think base game should just go the AOE route and skip all the notions of realistic size, movement, garrisoning siege engines on deck, etc.

I had the feeling that a lot of featured maps were designed before someone(s) decided to make the ships ~10x bigger for 'realism'; that, combined with their earlier stupidness, made me really hate them.

9 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

I thino there is an error in the environment. You are running more than 1 instances of 0ad simultaneously, so the program crashes. Try killing all 0ad process in the task manager, reboot pc. If this problem still occurs, you may be missing files. In that case download atlas.dll from the repository and copy it to binaries/system folder.

Furthermore check if your wx widgets have been installed and activated

I don't think this is multiple instance problem. I've restarted and run Scenario Editor from shortcut first thing after restart, still got the same error. Checked task manager, no pyrogenesis.exe. I also don't think it's missing files as it is retrieved from SVN, I have compared local binaries/system with repo and it has the same content.

Probably this is wxwidgets? Never have heard of this before, but previously never had problems like this as well. I have just installed wxWidgets and how do I activate it?