Alpha 25 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

The error from the "unexpected crash".

oos.thumb.png.40d35b127cba8f1e338b11f77020a3e2.png

33 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

We were able to continue with no obvious effects.

And we also were able to confirm this during the game as well. (Who was attacking with how many and where, etc.)

My files should reflect, unequivocally, chrstgtr  2021-06-16_0004.zip 

2021-06-16_0002.oos.zip 2021-06-16_0002.zip

On 15/06/2021 at 2:32 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

That would be nice if each version will generate its own folder. For example revision 25799 It should have its own settings folder, named under the revision name.

Maybe using the -writableRoot parameter helps as a "workaround" when executing pyrogenesis.exe

-writableRoot store runtime game data in root data directory

(only use if you have write permissions on that directory)

https://github.com/0ad/0ad/blob/master/binaries/system/readme.txt

BTW, would it be possible to add a path to that parameter? Then you could even select different paths for different versions. Just a thought...

Oh, now I have this problem (has nothing to do with the -writableRoot parameter):

The RC exe file tells me that 0AD is already installed and that I shall deinstall it first.

Is it possible to have a "portable" installation that does not care whether 0 A.D. is already installed?

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

I've tested the SVN version slightly, and I really like it so far. There are only a few minor bugs that I've noticed.

I've noticed that when units are building a structure with more than one visual variant, like a house, it will show one variant during construction, but once the structure is finished, the variant will sometimes change.

Another minor issue is that the Kushite warships have outdated icons:

Screenshot-from-2021-06-17-07-26-46.pngScreenshot-from-2021-06-17-07-27-40.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nullus said:

I've noticed that when units are building a structure with more than one visual variant, like a house, it will show one variant during construction, but once the structure is finished, the variant will sometimes change.

Carthage, or any house ?

@Palaiologos Can you confirm that you're using the proper RC revision and that you recompiled the game? Your OOS with langbart was caused by either an incorrect revision or not recompiling on the given revision, and it seems much of a coincidence that you are involved in all OOS reports so far ;)

The correct rev for RC1 is 25799.

Edit: having checked, I am in fact quite confident that you are not using the correct revision/need to recompile.

---

Unfortunately the OOS dump you've posted isn't correct / isn't for that game: your commands.txt start to diverge at turn 5561. It does seem to have actually changed things, but if you didn't actually notice the OOS I'm not sure.

3 hours ago, Ceres said:

The RC exe file tells me that 0AD is already installed and that I shall deinstall it first.

Sorry, to bother you guys once more about this, but at the moment, I do not understand how I can install RC1 besides a24, when the RC installer asks me to first deinstall the previous (a24) version. Am I the only one with this problem? If yes, the problem is very likely that I do something wrong, but what exactly?

8 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Sorry, to bother you guys once more about this, but at the moment, I do not understand how I can install RC1 besides a24, when the RC installer asks me to first deinstall the previous (a24) version. Am I the only one with this problem? If yes, the problem is very likely that I do something wrong, but what exactly?

I think, on windows, the program files overlap, so the old files need to be removed. 

• Thanks 1

So I was wrong thinking that different 0 A.D. versions can be installed in Windows in parallel. Hence, the -writableRoot parameter to store runtime game data in the root data directory is only partially helpful, or isn't it?

This is in no way meant as criticism of the developers (I would feel ashamed :blush:). I am just humbly asking if there is anything that could be done in the future about this without too much efforts, e.g. for the next RC, to ease testing it?

Anyway, I am looking forward testing and giving feedback on the RC! You all are doing magic! :)

Wishing that I had thought about this earlier (and hoping that it's adequate to post it here), maybe Windows 10 users might find this little (and admittedly stupid) PowerShell script useful:

Echo "Backing up mods, replays, saved games, and screenshots (C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\0ad\)."
cp "${env:homepath}\Documents\My Games\0ad" "${env:homepath}\Documents\My Games\0ad_bak" -Recurse
Echo "Done."

Echo "Backing up cache and logs (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\0ad\)."
cp "${env:localappdata}\0ad" "${env:localappdata}\0ad_bak" -Recurse
Echo "Done."

Echo "Backing up config and possibly other user data (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\0ad\)."
cp "${env:appdata}\0ad" "${env:appdata}\0ad_bak" -Recurse
Echo "Done."

It copies (i.e. backs up) the three 0 A.D. game paths described there. It has no error handling, nor does it care if folders are already copied, so please use with caution. It works in my environment, though, and is also attached for download.

Understanding that this is really nothing fancy, maybe some of you would like to use it as a little support. If you think it's worth to add some further functionality, please let me know, and I will see what I can do.

Again, I hope it's ok to post it here in this thread, which should be rather about 0 A.D. RC. If developers/ moderators/ users want to rather not see it here (as it might distract from the original topic), please kindly advice me where it fits better, and I shall move it there. Thank you. :)

0AD_backup_game_folders_20210617_v01.ps1

PS:

If you cannot execute the script, please consider trying this first in PowerShell:

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -scope CurrentUser
Edited by Ceres
Added note about ExecutionPolicy

35 minutes ago, Ceres said:

The 'Credits' and 'Exit' buttons in the main menu get overlapped by text below (happened already in a24). Can this be fixed?

Our minimum supported resolution is 1024x768 and we don't really make much of an effort to support smaller screens in either direction. So I wouldn't expect somebody from the team to suddenly fix this tbh, but we might accept a neat patch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ceres said:

So I was wrong thinking that different 0 A.D. versions can be installed in Windows in parallel. Hence, the -writableRoot parameter to store runtime game data in the root data directory is only partially helpful, or isn't it?

This is in no way meant as criticism of the developers (I would feel ashamed :blush:). I am just humbly asking if there is anything that could be done in the future about this without too much efforts, e.g. for the next RC, to ease testing it?

Anyway, I am looking forward testing and giving feedback on the RC! You all are doing magic! :)

They can but not through the game installer. E.g. you can have 5 svn copies. Or five extracted installer versions.

I think that 7zip might be able to extract the data from the installer.

11 hours ago, Nullus said:

@wraitii is it possible that transform.js forgets to set the seed or something ?

58 minutes ago, rollieoo said:

It happens in windowed mode. 

What's the window resolution ?

2 hours ago, wraitii said:

Our minimum supported resolution is 1024x768 and we don't really make much of an effort to support smaller screens in either direction. So I wouldn't expect somebody from the team to suddenly fix this tbh, but we might accept a neat patch.

It's an LG 4K TV screen with Windows 10 resolution set to 1920 x 1080. Maybe I should set it to its optimal (4K) resolution? But then I fear performance issues (at least with some other games). So please don't bother about this (I try to "fix" this on my side).

1 hour ago, rollieoo said:

It happens in windowed mode. 

True. I use the windows mode on the LG TV, because there is no sound of 0 A.D. in full screen mode (a known Intel NUC HDMI driver problem - well, they in turn blame developers :rolleyes:). Again, please don't further bother about my problem.

12 hours ago, Nullus said:

Gee, maybe I don't pay enough attention to the details of construction sites.

@NullusYou're not one of those proverbial people watching the grass grow or the paint dry, are you? ;)

• Haha 1

This rar folder contains pyrogenesis.exe and pyrogenesis.pdb

Hopefully that helps. 

I am on an earlier build, and that might affect some things. 

In general crashes happen very rarely, and only occurs if my pop cap is set to more than 250. So I have a feeling that it is caused by lack of ram and processing power instead of a genuine bug. 

987483002_Newfolder(2).rar

12 hours ago, wraitii said:

having checked, I am in fact quite confident that you are not using the correct revision/need to recompile.

Yea...... well....... you see........

12 hours ago, wraitii said:

it seems much of a coincidence that you are involved in all OOS reports so far

I got nothing :)

(a25 looks great though)