Alpha 25 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

13 hours ago, wraitii said:

This is incorrect however, the different maps show off different biomes.

That I am familiar with, but where exactly are players suppose to be able to view the different biome choices that were removed since they can no longer "preview" them on such a map as mainland for instance? Only reason for bringing it to ones attention with ...

20 hours ago, Palaiologos said:

When cycling through the different biome choices, the actual biome image no longer appears in top right map preview unless under the selection of Gulf of Bothnia (frozen lake, late spring/ winter) & Persian Highlands (spring, summer). Every other map under the 'Recommended for Multiplayer' remains as the Subalpine image.

Kind Regards

Here is the first 'Release Candidate' of Alpha 25 - Yaunā

We've entered Commit Freeze, which means we only now fix Release Blocker issues that we might yet find. As of now, there are 2 pending commits about minor things.

We've heard of some OOS reports, so please read the instructions below carefully on how to efficiently report those.

Downloads - Current bundles are for SVN revision 25799

Things to note:

• Translations are not complete & may be buggy -> Play in English for now.
  • Mind your mods -> they might introduce issues or Out Of Sync.
  • Save your A24 config file somewhere, ideally.

Notable changes since the last bundle:

• Increase to elephant & ram turn rates to help movement
  • We've switched the mod key to A25 so the mod downloader will show nothing
  • A number of small UI/code fixes

Currently known issues:

• We have reports of Out of Sync errors: please read below.
  • We have reports of issues with the replay filter, but haven't been able to confirm
  • There are a few others that shouldn't affect play much, see the Milestone for details.

What to do if I have an error or notice something weird?

Post your commands.txt (replay) and the interestinglog.html file from your folder. You can also reply to this thread.

What to do if the game crashes?

Update your crashlog.dmp and crashlog.txt  see https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

What to do if I have an Out Of Sync?

You should go in your logs folder, find the replay (commands.txt at least), the mainlog/interestinglog and find the OOS dump folder. Zip all these files and upload them here.
We need the reports from two players to compare them: One OOS and one non-OOS players at least should upload their oos_dump files.

Things you may want to test (non-exhaustive)

1. Launch a random game
  2. Launch a skirmish.
  3. Connect to the lobby
  4. Play on the lobby with someone
  5. Launch Atlas and try things out there
  6. Open Unit tests demo (To see if there any breakage in displaying entity's) (It's in scenarios)
  7. Enable feedback and see if it works (Main menu) https://videos.pair2jeux.tube/videos/watch/ca45fa29-c120-487e-af9c-cf52020666ab
  8. Connect to and use mod.io
  9. Test replaying new games
  10. Test Screenshots (F2)
  11. Test Big Screenshots (Maj+F2)
  12. Test hotkeys
  13. Test Saving and loading a game.
  14. Test Quickload/Quicksave

And of course playing games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wraitii said:

Here is the first 'Release Candidate' of Alpha 25 - Yaunā

We've entered Commit Freeze, which means we only now fix Release Blocker issues that we might yet find. As of now, there are 2 pending commits about minor things.

We've heard of some OOS reports, so please read the instructions below carefully on how to efficiently report those.

Downloads - Current bundles are for SVN revision 25799

Things to note:

• Translations are not complete & may be buggy -> Play in English for now.
  • Mind your mods -> they might introduce issues or Out Of Sync.
  • Save your A24 config file somewhere, ideally.

Notable changes since the last bundle:

• Increase to elephant & ram turn rates to help movement
  • We've switched the mod key to A25 so the mod downloader will show nothing
  • A number of small UI/code fixes

Currently known issues:

• We have reports of Out of Sync errors: please read below.
  • We have reports of issues with the replay filter, but haven't been able to confirm
  • There are a few others that shouldn't affect play much, see the Milestone for details.

What to do if I have an error or notice something weird?

Post your commands.txt (replay) and the interestinglog.html file from your folder. You can also reply to this thread.

What to do if the game crashes?

Update your crashlog.dmp and crashlog.txt  see https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

What to do if I have an Out Of Sync?

You should go in your logs folder, find the replay (commands.txt at least), the mainlog/interestinglog and find the OOS dump folder. Zip all these files and upload them here.
We need the reports from two players to compare them: One OOS and one non-OOS players at least should upload their oos_dump files.

Things you may want to test (non-exhaustive)

1. Launch a random game
  2. Launch a skirmish.
  3. Connect to the lobby
  4. Play on the lobby with someone
  5. Launch Atlas and try things out there
  6. Open Unit tests demo (To see if there any breakage in displaying entity's) (It's in scenarios)
  7. Enable feedback and see if it works (Main menu) https://videos.pair2jeux.tube/videos/watch/ca45fa29-c120-487e-af9c-cf52020666ab
  8. Connect to and use mod.io
  9. Test replaying new games
  10. Test Screenshots (F2)
  11. Test Big Screenshots (Maj+F2)
  12. Test hotkeys
  13. Test Saving and loading a game.
  14. Test Quickload/Quicksave

And of course playing games.

That would be nice if each version will generate its own folder. For example revision 25799 It should have its own settings folder, named under the revision name.

• Like 3

First impressions:

- looks beautiful

- is there even less wood on 'Phoenician Levant'? meeeh

- I thought gatherers would stay counted; if you look at the replay you'll see my horse being on and off the count

- when I pause and save everything disappears from the map??? (Reappears after un-pausing, still...)

0ad-thevoid.jpg.a2f148af1a9e6abc473066064414305b.jpg

2021-06-15_0002.zip

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I thought gatherers would stay counted; if you look at the replay you'll see my horse being on and off the count

That is because it goes from gathering to attacking (hunting). That is not easy to fix. The rest of the gatherers should stay accounted for.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

First impressions:

- looks beautiful

- is there even less wood on 'Phoenician Levant'? meeeh

- I thought gatherers would stay counted; if you look at the replay you'll see my horse being on and off the count

- when I pause and save everything disappears from the map??? (Reappears after un-pausing, still...)

0ad-thevoid.jpg.a2f148af1a9e6abc473066064414305b.jpg

2021-06-15_0002.zip 8 kB · 1 download

Can you reproduce consistently? What are the steps? Can you upload the logs of that day along with the userreport.txt and system_info.txt ?

2 minutes ago, soloooy0 said:

will the bellum mod be used for the A25?
that the greeks and iberians have champion units in phase 2 is very interesting and different and rome castra is more important, like see onagro in game 
will be made differences between horses and camels as you said @Yekaterina

Most likely not, as we are only fixing critical bugs now.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

Can you reproduce consistently? What are the steps?

Do you mean the stuff disappearing from the map? Yeah, it's consistent. Steps: pause, save, void.

logs1.zip

0ad-thevoid2.jpg.6c4f3289519d99e82722cea05a7d8ea4.jpg

logs3.zip

Meanwhile:

0ad-nolaketoday.thumb.jpg.7e512130897d75568fd387be30ce8c7c.jpg

logs2.zip

On the next try Wild Lake generated fine.

On Wild Lake and Caledonian Meadows relics still spawn outside the map.

savegame-5125.0adsave savegame-5126.0adsave

The description of the Arsenal still has the false advertising of those champs even when you're not that civ. @Yekaterina

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Yekaterina said:

We would like to let players test A25 heavily and see if there is any problem, then develop bellum mod alongside A25. 

The current problem with Bellum mod is the new units added don't have their own actor and their icons were made by me, so they are crass. We will ask artists to make better models and icons for the Soliffereum and other champion units. Also we haven't got full agreement from the strongest players yet. Most of the features were suggested by lion.kanzen and most liked posts on the forum. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soloooy0 said:

will the bellum mod be used for the A25

there are several things that do, and they suit the game well.

1 hour ago, Yekaterina said:

The current problem with Bellum mod is the new units added don't have their own actor and their icons were made by me, so they are crass. We will ask artists to make better models and icons for the Soliffereum and other champion units. Also we haven't got full agreement from the strongest players yet. Most of the features were suggested by lion.kanzen and most liked posts on the forum. 

the game is quite balanced for now. but I need keep testing.  We need more  Iberian cavalry units, I need to consult with the community. probably for A26.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Stan`

4 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Do you mean the stuff disappearing from the map? Yeah, it's consistent. Steps: pause, save, void.

To elaborate a bit: the moment the save-dialog disappears (and the screen refreshes?), everything (the actors?) disappears.

Spoiler

0ad-thevoid3.thumb.jpg.21bed68793f6cd8d15c37b4fc2584bde.jpg

The selection rectangle and the health bar of the storehouse are still visible, lol.

0ad-thevoid4.thumb.jpg.ef611c0f1b2dfe4a3f4d2167c2783751.jpg

I don't know if it has anything to do with the line of sight of my buildings. The allied harbor and units on my territory (stealing my metal) have disappeared, as have the trees and buildings on the enemy's territory being in sight of my towers. My women building a CC outside of my territory have not.

It's strange but not game-breaking. If I'm the only one experiencing this at least I can feel special. :freak:

I just wanted to mention that I'm not happy with p2 towers not counting towards the phase-up prerequisites anymore. It's a considerable investment, especially since stone is back in the tech upgrades cost. Also they usually have more practical worth for me in p2 than the blacksmith (which I usually don't use until p3).

#towerscount

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

I just wanted to mention that I'm not happy with p2 towers not counting towards the phase-up prerequisites anymore. It's a considerable investment, especially since stone is back in the tech upgrades cost. Also they usually have more practical worth for me in p2 than the blacksmith (which I usually don't use until p3).

#towerscount

Personally that all sounds like a good thing to me.  It makes the prospect of setting up defences to be a way of delaying potentially key upgrades.  That means that there is the potential for a meaningful choice.

Edited by Thorfinn the Shallow Minded
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

That means that there is the potential for a meaningful choice.

Like pretty much every decision you make? Doesn't really convince me that advanced towers are less a sign of progress than the other buildings in question. If it's the cheapest and quickest to just build several blacksmiths it feels like a forced 'choice', not really adding anything to the experience imho.

8 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

The idea is to prevent defensive play and turtle

If that's the ruling sentiment I guess I just gotta live with it. There was a discussion about making it clearer what buildings are required to advance, so maybe sth like 'except towers' could be added in the appropriate spot?

0ad-disobedientwarship.jpg.1ec8126e380673a36247416aa0aac3c5.jpg

I ordered my warship to shoot at the gate, and it shot at anything but the gate, while I clearly think that it should've been possible. (If you open the save you'll see several damaged wall segments and houses, while the gate is at 100% health.) It wasn't the only sign of disobedience to shoot what I ordered, maybe a way to improve that?

savegame-5133.0adsave

Speaking of ships, I question the 'i' part of the ai:

0ad-saveharbour.jpg.ec5b9d51af2f365fef9e0f828f8e46d3.jpg

As you can see on the minimap my ally isn't using its warships for anything, just amassing a dozen around the harbor.

And finally, I still think it's grossly inadequate that the wonder by itself doesn't give the slightest pop cap bonus. (So I keep killing my women in end-game to make more champs.)

• Like 1

First replay (-03) crashed unexpectedly. Both players in game crashed. No obvious reason why. 

Second replay (-04) we got an out of synch error in the middle of the game for no apparent reason (it said I was OOS). We were able to continue with no obvious effects. 2021-06-16_0004.zip 

2021-06-16_0003.zip

Edited by chrstgtr