English Or English?

There are many different dialects of English. There is US English, UK English, Australian English, etc. What are some words and differences that you know?

I speak US English and some of the things that are different for me are:

In UK English they spell things differently, like color is colour.

Some words that are different are:

lorry- truck

chips - fries

crisps - chips

pram (didn't know about this until Tim mentioned it) - baby carriage

What are some words that are different that you know?

lift(british) = jack(american)=steal, as in to take without paying (common word)

let me bum a f-a-g (;)) (british) = lemme have a smoke (american) = let me borrow a cigarette (common)

chap/bloke (british) = gramps/granpa (american, ok so it's that diverse) = Old guy. Yes we call old people "gramps" sometimes in America, refering to a Grandpa/Grandfather.

I'll think of more later

Stu should be good at playing this :blush:

By the way tim, you censored f-a-g?? Come on, it means smoke for crying out loud :( In Britain atleast

let me bum a f-a-g () (british) = lemme have a smoke (american) = let me borrow a cigarette (common)

chap/bloke (british) = gramps/granpa (american, ok so it's that diverse) = Old guy. Yes we call old people "gramps" sometimes in America, refering to a Grandpa/Grandfather.

Um... not exactly right as far as I speak.

Old people are merely old people, any adult is a chap or a bloke and it can apply to old people, but not solely.

Never heard let me bum a f-a-g either... maybe its a London thing but cigarettes are definately called f-a-gs

lorry- truck

Dont americans say lorry? Anyway, English use both.

Also:

{UK - US}

Lift - Elevator

autumn - fall

biscuit - cookie

boot - trunk

bonnet - hood

cot - crib

cupboard - closet

first floor - second floor

ground floor - first floor

holiday - vacation

trousers - pants

waistcoat - vest

sweets - candy

pavement - sidewalk

petrol - gas

handbag - purse

spellings:

flavour - favor

humour - humor

center - centre

fibre - fiber

metre - meter

theatre - theater

diarrhoea - diarrhea

foetus - fetus

lift(british) = jack(american)=steal, as in to take without paying (common word)

I actually hear "lift: used more often here in USA...

also, we use a variant in "shoplift"....maybe its cuz im in shoplifting prevention (;)), so i hear "lifters" used quite often referring to shoplifters...

anyways, some ive heard and needed to learn at my work (when we have UK people in the store):

washroom (and something else) [uK] vs bathrooms/restrooms [uSA]

and

Dustbin [uK] vs Trash/Garbage Can [uSA]

:blush:

I love it, it would be funny if i went to the UK and said, "I have a stain in my paints." That's great. Don't know why pants though. In Spanish, pants are known as los pantalones. Which is the same as pants. Interesting.

I found this one:

"all mouth and (no) trousers" It means something like don't bother to listen to him. Say that in the US and people will laugh. Not sure if you guys use it though.

Do they call Cell Phones "Handies"or was that in Germany.

Dude (US) - Friend (UK)

Dude is a slang word, not proper "american english", but Friend is used on both sides, it's a common and easy word.

The British version of dude would be "mate" but that would be stretching it alot, and that applies to Australia more.

"all mouth and (no) trousers"

this means the person is all talk but won't do anything about what they've said. People who make empty threats.

Telli/Tube-England TV-America

Tube? Never heard of that. It's either TV or Tele or Television here...

washroom (and something else) [uK] vs bathrooms/restrooms [uSA]

Again, ive never heard washroom...

Do they call Cell Phones "Handies"or was that in Germany.

...definately not here.

Mobile Phones/Mobiles [uK] - Cell Phones [uS]

No offence but, to my ears (and I'm sure to other americans) british english sounds effemanate or womanly. I'm really not sure why but it does. Maybe because your "r"s are so soft. So how does american english sound to britsh ears?

Just wanted to ask.

To me (depending on the person speaking, of course) American English sounds coarser; more simplistic and less subtle than (English) English. (Again, no offence :banana: )