Aok 0ad/raw

SUD

Yumm, AOK isnt dead!

I am resurrecting the very origin of the 0ad game!! :) I will post a list of the things I am doing.

Right now I am almost finished with these 3:

MILITES

Replacement of: Militia.

Weapon: Short sword

Armor: Bronze Corynthian style helmet without crest, medium size bronze-wood round shield.

Wearing: Barefooted, tunic with short sleeves.

History: Not based from a specific nation and it fits Greeks, early Romans, Carthaginians, Macedonians... It resembles a typical light infantry soldier of the Bronze age.

Aprox time period: 1000 BC to 300 BC.

Milites2.JPGMilitesFight.gif

HASTATUS

Replacement of: Man at Arms.

Weapon: Short sword.

Armor: Bronze helmet, bronze breastplate, bronze greaves, oval shield.

Wearing: Sandals, tunic with short sleeves.

History: Based on the Roman republican hastati troops in sword mode, though the difference with them is that these didn't carry 2 greaves but only 1. The look of this soldier fits for many Mediterranean civilizations.

Aprox time period: 500 BC to 100 BC.

Hastatus2.JPGHastatusFight.gif

(Credit to Irishstag for the shield texture)

HOPLITE SWORDSMAN

Replacement of: Long swordsman.

Armor: Bronze Corynthian style helmet with crest, lynen cuirass, skirt with leather straps (pteriges), bronze greaves, large bronze round shield (hoplon).

History: Based on a hoplite in sword mode from the Peloponesian Wars to Roman era.

Aprox time period: 500 BC to 180 BC.

HopliteSwd2.JPGHopliteSwStand.gif

CELT WARRIOR

Replacement of: Berserk.

Weapon: Long sword.

Armor: Iron helmet, oval shield.

Wearing: Long pants, shoes, no wearing on torso.

History: A typical celt warrior.

Aprox time period: 1500 BC to 100 AD.

Celt1.JPGCel1Stand.gif

(Credit to Irishstag for the shield texture)

More to come :lol: Note: As I am not allowed to post more images here scroll down the topic for more units

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that looks pretty good, Sud :lol:

Just because we are on this topic now... I once lead a German AoK modding project that was going to transform AoK into antiquity, but it got canceled because of lack of interest in the community. I still have some work me and others did back then - including some building graphics (but no 3d files or such, only plain MS Paint edited 2d graphics). Any interest in using these ? :)

Also, I'd give the Hoplite a spear and let it replace the Pikeman, while making the Halbardier (sp?) a Phalanx. That'd be more accurate considering history and also should not be hard to do.

BTW, I recently found a way to edit the AoK language.dll without having the character restrictions - so if you need some language.dll-mods, tell me, I could do them ;)

Thx! :lol:

By the way, yeah there are 2 more hoplites: Classical hoplite as spearman and more advanced/Macedonian hoplite as pikeman; I have planned to make the halberdier a Roman spearman (auxiliary infantry). Oh and there is still a problem I need to solve: I dont have poser spear attack animations.

About buildings, there is a problem, I didnt include any Germans but just Romans, Greeks, Celts, and a couple Carthaginians and Persians (if I ever finish this). I would like to use Roman RAW's buildings if Wijit lets me :) , because I dont have any skill making buildings.

The language dll thing, yes!! It would be pretty useful ;) I was very restricted giving names to units, so now I can change them to the ones I need, cool thx!

Hoplites during the Peloponnesian War didn't look like that. That hoplite is closer to the Persian Wars type of garb. Hoplites during the Peloponnesian War actually had less(!!!) armor than their Persian Wars counterparts. However, after the defeat of Athens and the rise of Thebes, heavy armor came back into fashion, in an albeit slightly different form.

About buildings, there is a problem, I didnt include any Germans but just Romans, Greeks, Celts, and a couple Carthaginians and Persians (if I ever finish this). I would like to use Roman RAW's buildings if Wijit lets me :) , because I dont have any skill making buildings.

Hmm, that's a pity... we already had some Barbarian buildings done - but anyway, most likely they would not fit your expectations.

So you are going to make the late-game all-roman ? Just because you said you wanted to make the halberdier a roman auxiliary infantry... and the halberdier is available for a lot of civilisations. If you're interested in it, there's a big image of the AoK techtree with all the changes we planned for the "Age of Antiquity"-mod - we had really a lot of thoughts about how to change the units with being historically accurate and so on - would be great if all that effort wasn't wasted :lol:

Fire Giant, you piqued my curiousity, how did you manage to remove the character restriction on language.dll?

Well, it's quite easy if you use the right software - I got an application called "ResHacker" (not easy to use properly, though), that can edit the stringtables in Win32-DLL files. After opening the file, it's just a matter of finding the right string to edit :lol:

If I ever finish this it will be only for scenario design, I wouldnt put much much head-waste into thinking which to change and which not just for gameplaying.

The list I had is like this:

Militia= Milites

Man at Arms= Hastatus

Long swordsman= Hoplite swordsman

Two-handed swordsman= Caesarian legionary

Champion= Imperial legionary

Spearman= Hoplite

Pikeman= Phalangist

Halberdier= Auxiliary infantry (Roman)

Archer= Archer

Crossbowman= Archer

Arbalest= Auxiliary archer (Roman)

Skirmisher= Peltast

Elite Skirmisher= Javeliner

Hand Cannoneer= Same

Horse archer= Same

Heavy Horse archer= Same

Scout cavalry= Scout cavalry

Light Cavalry= Gallic light cavalry

Hussar= Iberian horseman

Knight= Cavalry (Greek)

Cavalier= Companion (Macedonian)

Paladin= Gallic heavy cavalry (Caesarian)

Frankish Paladin= Commander (Roman-Carthaginian general)

Camel= Same

Heavy camel= Same

Axe Thrower= Same, probably

Berserk= Celt warrior

Elite Berserk= Celt warrior

Woad Raider= Persian Immortal

Conquistador= Same

Teutonic Knight= Celt chieftain

Huskarl= Celt nobleman

Misionary= Same

Janissary= Same

Samurai= Officer (Roman centurion)

Longbowman= Persian archer

Chu Ko Nu= Same

Mameluke= Same

Cataphract= Persian cataphract

Elephant= Carthaginian War elephant

War Wagon= Same

Turtle ship= Same

Mangudai= Same

Tarkan= Celt raider

Jaguar Warrior= Praetorian

Eagle Warrior= Auxiliary cavalry (Roman)

Plummed Archer= Syrian Archer

Monk= Priest (like AOE's)

Aztec Monk= Roman priest

Ships= A couple triremes if possible

Siege weapons= Unchanged

Joan the maid= Free slot

Joan of Arc= Free slot

King= Emperor (Roman)

Heavy Swordsman (hidden)= Carthaginian infantry

Berserk (hidden)= Celt berserk

Hvy Crossbowman (hidden)= Numidian

Thx again! :lol:

Btw, I have a lot of those units already done in 3d model from the very first time I made historic models, some of you may remember the gallery I had posted in the old forums a long time ago :) . I just need to animate' em, which is the hardest and most time consuming to do...

Hmm, if it's only for Scn design, that's okay... but if you also want to use it in SP and MP random map games (what surely would give you a greater audience), you should think about the replacements.

I'll see if I can dig out the big word document where we used to place all the replacements we were going to do for the old AoA-project. We really had some quite big thoughts on it, and in the end, everything seemed to work quite nice - only we didn't manage it to do all the artwork :)

EDIT: Just saw it's your birthday today, SUD. Congratulations ! :lol:

It happened the same to the very first 0ad mod, we had all already planned for replacing everything back in those days. There were a lot of civs, a lot of bizarre units (man, there was a cavalry blowpiper to replace the conquistador!! hilarious) and some nice buildings done with 3d studio max. If I remember well, the replacements were :

Aztecs - Egyptians

Mayans - Syrians

Teutons - Greeks

Goths - Imperial Rome

Huns - Asia Minor? or something like that :lol:

Vikings - Republican Rome

Celts - Picts

Spanish - Iberians

Franks - Gauls

Britons - Britons

Koreans - Norse

Japanese - Germans

Chinese - Scythians

Mongols - Huns

Saracens - Palmyra

Byzantins - Persians

Turks - Jews

Persians - Carthaginians

I personally dont like a total conversion, I prefer the way I am doing now:

Aztecs-Mayans: Romans-Greeks

Eastern Europeans: Celts

Western Europeans: Persians-Middle East

Yeah sure... I don't believe a total conversion would be feasible with only a few people working on the project - I made this sad experience myself, when I still was the leader of the AoA-project. We had only 3 skilled modders and no real community - so we finally gave up in mid-2002 and founded MWD, which is a running much better.

Our replacement plans were (finally found the documentation in the deep of my HDD):

Huns - Scythians (or something like that :)) - UU: ?

Goths - Macedonians - UU: Makedonian Spearman, Elite-M. S.

Teutons - Greeks - UU: Hoplite, Phalanx

Vikings - Romans - UU: Legionary, Roman War-Trireme

British - ??? (Scoths or something, don't know the english name) - UU: ?

Celts - Celts - UU: Something equivalent to a celtic warrior

Franks - Gallics - Axe-Thrower, Elite-A.-T.

Spaniards (sp?) - Iberians - UU: Mounted Slinger, Elite-M. S.

Aztecs - Goths - UU: Huskarl, Elite-H.

Mayans - Germanics - UU: Barbarian Warrior ?

Mongols - Persians - UU: Elephant Archer, Elite-E. A.

Japanese - Sassanids/Jews - UU: ?

Chinese - Babylonians - UU: ?

Koreans - Assyrians - UU: Siege Wagon, Elite-S. W., Catapult ship

Byzantians (sp?) - Egyptians - UU: Chariot, Elite-C.

Persians - Carthargians - UU: War Elephant

Saracen - Phoenicians - UU: Mounted Javelinist, Elite-M. J.

Turks - Nubians - UU: Slinger, Elite-S.

That all fitted well with the techs, units, bonuses and so on - but I doubt anyone can do it without lots of helpers :lol: So it's here just to give you some ideas.

Yea Poser.

You can find free stuff in the free section of Renderosity.com

Also there were a lot of other places in the net though now that I have almost everything they had there I dont have the links anymore, but you can do a google :lol: You can try 3dcafe.com and animotions.com free stuff sections.

• 2 weeks later...

IMPERIAL LEGIONARY

Replacement of: Champion.

Weapon: Short sword (gladius).

Armor: Iron Roman style helmet without crest, iron segmented armor (Lorica segmentata), skirt with leather straps, tower shield (scutum).

Wearing: Sandals (caligae), tunic with short sleeves.

History: Based on the typical classic Roman legionary of the Imperial period that comes into mind every time you think of Rome.

Aprox time period: 40 AD to 250 AD.

Legionary.JPGLegionaryWalk.gif

CARTHAGINIAN

Replacement of: Heavy swordsman (Hidden unit).

Armor: Bronze helmet with crest, breastplate, round shield, greaves.

History: Based on a typical Carthaginian soldier, but extensible to Greco-Roman and near East armies.

Aprox time period: 300 BC to 100 BC.

Carthaginian.JPGCarthaginianWalk.gif

BERSERKER

Replacement of: Berserk (hidden unit)

Weapon: Heavy two handed sword.

Armor: None.

Wearing: Pants

History: Based on a celt savage fighter, they wore no armor and little or no clothing to prove their courage in battle. German warriors also did this.

Aprox time period: 1500 BC to 100 AD.

CeltBerserk.JPGCeltBerserkFight.gif

Wow, great stuff SUD ! I like them all :band:

Though here's a minor point: If possible, I would not have the Roman Legionary walk around with a sword in his hand, pulled out of the sheat. I rather would have him only use it if fighting. Also, IMO the sword is too long for a roman infantry one.

Besides that - great work !

Hmm, some annoying question - I have no good props for Poser, and not much experience with it, but recently got hit by the idea to make some desktop background pictures containing various 0ad units (high quality and not low poly of course). So, my question would be if you could send me some of the units (probably only the legionary for now, I would have enough work with him already) ? That would be really great :D

I could send you the pz3 if you want

Btw, hmm I think a soldier walking to battle with only his shield would look strange..

And the sword being too long, that's a darn thing I thought too, I used the gladius that came with the DAZ legionary, which is odd..

For one of these days I will try to finish the big cake: the Carthaginian war elephant :band: