Some questions and proposals in my first post here

Marbod

Hello all.

I am very excited about the ongoing development.

I play this game since A23 but only vs AI (very hard).

I am a modder myself (just for myself though).

I did mod games like Baldur's Gate 2, Medieval Total War, Skyrim and Stalker series.

Here are some points i would like to discuss. Most are AI related.

1. Why doesn't the AI use healers?

Wouldn't it be easy to implement the usage of healer units by the AI? Eventually the AI would be stronger then?

2. Why doesn't the AI use barracks to gain xp for some of their troops?

I could imagine that this would not be to easy to implement?

I did a workaround as i was playing agains roman bots, i added some roman field camps to their starting area in my modded map, so they keep building at least some units with xp level 2. I didnt even know that roman field camp units start at xp lvl 2.

3. Why is there no option, like for barracks, to train healers in temples?

I must admit, i for the most time didnt know that my people could get xp from barracks. I always trained them in field battles lol.

But as i discovered that some months ago, i thought that it would be not a bad idea to give healers the same opportunity to do the same it temples.

4. It could be more challenging if the very hard AI would not be restricted to build leaders/heroes only once.

Thanks for reading and thank you all for participating and developing this gem of a game.

• Like 1

The AI is not aware of lots of things it very simple ATM feel free to create a patch we use Phabricator for formal review the AI is mostly written in java script with some helper functions in C++ since it's just Js you could just post a mod here on the forum I imagine someone would happy to try it out ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)

5 hours ago, Marbod said:

I must admit, i for the most time didnt know that my people could get xp from barracks. I always trained them in field battles lol.

And as you experienced first hand, the game does sometimes a suboptimal job at explaining how some things work. So if you want to help out with that it would also be very much appreciated :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marbod said:

It could be more challenging if the very hard AI would not be restricted to build leaders/heroes only once

True. Could be an interesting idea if to make the very hard AI harder. But it could also feel a little bit unfair to the player, if the AI shows up with multiple heroes. 

1 hour ago, maroder said:

True. Could be an interesting idea if to make the very hard AI harder. But it could also feel a little bit unfair to the player, if the AI shows up with multiple heroes. 

Well, that would be too much. But i only meant the restriction to build them only 3 times.

Because in longer games, if i killed the 3rd one, the potential of the AI army is significantly lower, even though its eventually just a very strong unit less on the battlefield. But i think it would be not too hard to have always 1 enemy heroe in field. For the player it is really nice not to be able to build them all over again.

22 hours ago, Marbod said:

Well, that would be too much. But i only meant the restriction to build them only 3 times.

Because in longer games, if i killed the 3rd one, the potential of the AI army is significantly lower, even though its eventually just a very strong unit less on the battlefield. But i think it would be not too hard to have always 1 enemy heroe in field. For the player it is really nice not to be able to build them all over again.

Or rather just let the AI retreat the hero when significantly endangered.