"Pulling the plug"

This is a rant. Why even play 1v1 if you don't want to risk losing your ranking? Ffs after archer and elephant spam people still disconnect after 20 minutes when their "strat" doens't work. Really here i am trying to rush age 3 to get towers before i get an avalanche of arrows in my face vs them only having to gather wood and food for most of the game. Plus making cavalry ain't gonna help against archers or elephants cuz spear cav sucks against everything that ins't a woman, hell even skirmishers kill elephants faster than spear cav.

Seriously this is ridiculous as it happened twice today.

" oh well better alt-F4 , he can't win if there is no opponent " I just can't fathom why even do this in a community made game that is not mainstream.

Edited by PyrrhicVictoryGuy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

This is a rant. Why even play 1v1 if you don't want to risk losing your ranking? Ffs after archer and elephant spam people still disconnect after 20 minutes when their "strat" doens't work. Really here i am trying to rush age 3 to get towers before i get an avalanche of arrows in my face vs them only having to gather wood and food for most of the game. Plus making cavalry ain't gonna help against archers or elephants cuz spear cav sucks against everything that ins't a woman, hell even skirmishers kill elephants faster than spear cav.

Seriously this is ridiculous as it happened twice today.

" oh well better alt-F4 , he can't win if there is no opponent " I just can't fathom why even do this in a community made game that is not mainstream.

Skirmishers deal a lot of damage per second, so it's no surprise that they are more deadly against elephants than spear cav
Spear cav is not too bad, especially if it levels up
If someone quits a rated game without resigning, it should be counted as loss. We need a technical solution for this, by the help of a timer for example.

Edited by Player of 0AD
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

@PyrrhicVictoryGuyIt seems you know firsthand the struggles of playing a non-archer civ versus archer civ. I know 1v1s can be frustrating or stressful,  and this is why I stick to Team games. 

Team games are often so laggy that again ranged inf and elephant armies always win because the most played maps are just awfull for anything micro intensive like cav or artillery.

Also archer civs dont even make champion archers , their eco is basically wood and food.

17 minutes ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

Also archer civs dont even make champion archers , their eco is basically wood and food.

Mauryans, Persians (champion chariot archers). 

17 minutes ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

Team games are often so laggy that again ranged inf and elephant armies always win because the most played maps are just awfull for anything micro intensive like cav or artillery.

Lag is a problem, but it's not so bad on certain biomes of mainland and with pop cap of 200. I think the main thing that makes micro frustrating/ not worth trying a lot of the time is the longer unit rotation times. From what I understand the unit rotations for CS are going to be reduced, and the number of necessary buildings will also be reduced, (faster unit production). My hope is also that forts, towers, and ccs will see range and damage and health (forts and towers) rebalances after their buff in a24. These things will make the congestion considerably less in the games, and make non brute-force strategies more viable.

As for successor civs, I think Seles are my favorite in this alpha, try combining a couple garrisoned siege towers and eles against some archers, along with a big army with plenty of pikes and spears. If you send this army with the ele hero, be careful to go for a good target where the archers will be forced to die to your siege towers.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

Age games tend to have a really good balance system, but 0ad has another layer of complexity because we have citizen soldiers. I think most people will agree that a23 was more fun than a24, but many good features and changes came in a24 (blacksmith upgrade categories, stables, melee vs ranged balance, viable champs) that are being overshadowed by some of the bad things (ranged vs ranged balance, palisade spam, not enough metal, really bad mercs, turtleing). I am optimistic about a25.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Mauryans, Persians (champion chariot archers). 

Lag is a problem, but it's not so bad on certain biomes of mainland and with pop cap of 200. I think the main thing that makes micro frustrating/ not worth trying a lot of the time is the longer unit rotation times. From what I understand the unit rotations for CS are going to be reduced, and the number of necessary buildings will also be reduced, (faster unit production). My hope is also that forts, towers, and ccs will see range and damage and health (forts and towers) rebalances after their buff in a24. These things will make the congestion considerably less in the games, and make non brute-force strategies more viable.

As for successor civs, I think Seles are my favorite in this alpha, try combining a couple garrisoned siege towers and eles against some archers, along with a big army with plenty of pikes and spears. If you send this army with the ele hero, be careful to go for a good target where the archers will be forced to die to your siege towers.

Actually i did just that against these two mauryas but i difnt throw more than 2 elephants.Ended up doing towers ,whatever pikes/skirms i had ,merc cav and merc swords , only used the elephants as rams really.

21 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Age games tend to have a really good balance system, but 0ad has another layer of complexity because we have citizen soldiers. I think most people will agree that a23 was more fun than a24, but many good features and changes came in a24 (blacksmith upgrade categories, stables, melee vs ranged balance, viable champs) that are being overshadowed by some of the bad things (ranged vs ranged balance, palisade spam, not enough metal, really bad mercs, turtleing). I am optimistic about a25.

I first played a few alphas back but didnt even playing online so i can't really say anything. But what i get from the opinions on the forums is that they are kinda afraid of nerfing ranged hard. I dont see what is the problem , ranged civs are always going to be powerfull due to well having range. 

Agreed, it's a reasonable take.

However, the current way ratings work waits for a message from all players until it actually rates the game (to avoid one user cheating, obviously). This means it can't rate a game where one user disconnects.

Changing that without making it possible to cheat is not so easy.