Nerf the Macedonian team bonus

Player of 0AD

yea I think this is a bigger problem in a24 given how important it is to get metal quickly at the beginning of p2. It is rare to see barter rates more reasonable than 100 metal---> 500 wood.

I had an idea where barter rates could be reflected in traders productivity of trading a particular resource. There is a thread for it.

4 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

The Macedonian team bonus is OP: It allows to gain resources by bartering. So you can create resources just by clicks, if you have some resources already and a market.

Please lower the 20% to a percentage where it's not possible anymore. 15% maybe?

I did not realise that. As you wish, I will make a mod to lower it to 15% for you to test out.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

it's

What exactly is "it's"? More specifically... Comprehend what your alluding to...

6 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

It allows to gain resources by bartering

Exactly. 95% of the bartering choices performed during competitive multiplayer games consist of exchanging the surplus food/wood > shortage stone/metal. So the 'selling' advantage provides benefits to the respective allies? Should be more like 20% > 25% given how the markets are manipulated in such manners as they are now.

3 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

exploit it.

3 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

This is really glitchy

Glitchy in which context? Diminishing marginal utility?

"Exploit it" - This implies a negative connotation when this bonus is MEANT to be exploited for that very reason. If anything 20 > 25%   /   20 > 30% because it is not as though every 5 seconds players are bartering 100/500xyz down to 1xyz which would ultimately just render the bonus itself pointless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think increasing metal availability and adding more uses for stone will help the barter system be a a little less frustrating in a25. In particular in 4v4s.

A while ago I had an idea for a system that would make the most bartered-for resource at the market also be the most profitable resource to trade for with traders. The idea is to make trading a less hands-off process and reward players who are looking out for resource values, potentially adjusting their unit composition based upon what resource is most profitable for their traders. 

Since currently traders get all resources at the same rate, mercenaries are the cheapest unit if ur whole eco is traders. If this is implemented, and resources are brought within reason in terms of availability and relative value, then traders would bring a much less predictable income stream. I think this would also prevent the market barter rates from stagnating and it would tie trade income to real-time player actions.

I think it is also nice for the people who take interest in historical accuracy and realism. Traders have/had a limited capacity to carry stuff, so to carry the most value with them, they would take whatever resource was most scarce. Also traders don't and didn't always have the same profits each time they traded.

If you are more interested in this mechanic you can come to that thread and make a comment :D. I would welcome some feedback on my idea.

• Confused 1