How do I create a campaign

5 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

A25 introduced a new campaign mode. At the moment there is only 1 campaign: tutorial. How do I make my own campaign maps / scenarios and add to the list? If the devs can teach me then I can perhaps make some interesting and challenging campaigns. 

image.thumb.png.c985ee097dd28d4638a49ba292e4d910.png

Some triggers scripting would be great.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stan` said:

Why is that menu pink

I like pink colour ; )

I made a GUI mod which tweaks the user interface purely to my personal preferences. I used nani's technique to bypass the lobby mod detection. If you want I can drop you a copy. But beware that I used some materials that might be copyrighted.

Why not a campaign teaching multiplayer principles and standards? That's something you can do better than others.

The only problem is that it could be made obsolete easily, by changes relatively small changes in the game.

But the game is accumulating some inertia anyway, with all the new assets.

• Like 1

a change in the role of pikemen or elephants, DE farmland or bushes, bonuses for formations, are just examples of things that may be changed, or maybe not, but are relevant for the present topic.

I'm not saying new assets block the development of the game, and I don't believe that, I was just expressing a sincere worry I would have if I were to create a new asset myself.

I have some project for a tutorial campaign (see that thread), but so far haven't uploaded anything actually concrete.

I can make it available on GitHub if you'd like.

--

As for campaigns itself, yes you just make a Json like the tutorial 'campaign' and then load scenarios. You don't necessarily need to bother much with triggers.

12 minutes ago, wraitii said:

I have some project for a tutorial campaign (see that thread), but so far haven't uploaded anything actually concrete.

I can make it available on GitHub if you'd like.

--

As for campaigns itself, yes you just make a Json like the tutorial 'campaign' and then load scenarios. You don't necessarily need to bother much with triggers.

Yes please do upload it onto git!

1 hour ago, alre said:

Why not a campaign teaching multiplayer principles and standards? That's something you can do better than others.

The only problem is that it could be made obsolete easily, by changes relatively small changes in the game.

But the game is accumulating some inertia anyway, with all the new assets.

I guess I can introduce a cavalry rush opportunity and some big fights. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 10:32 PM, Yekaterina said:

What types of campaign are you looking for and what difficulty would be appropriate?

The most fitting ones are where you reenact historic military campaigns of the 0ad heros. But if you want to send a centurion with his man on an odyssey to go save the princess from the evil dragon that's fine as well (finally a use for the dragon ;)).

As for difficulty, make it so it's fun for you first and foremost.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, hyperion said:

The most fitting ones are where you reenact historic military campaigns of the 0ad heros. But if you want to send a centurion with his man on an odyssey to go save the princess from the evil dragon that's fine as well (finally a use for the dragon ;)).

As for difficulty, make it so it's fun for you first and foremost.

Hmm Alexander Ho Megas of Macedon against Achaemenid Persians sounds like a good campaign. However, no 'Centurions saving princesses' please, that is too pointless: if a princess needs to be saved then she clearly is not strong enough to fight alongside me, and therefore there is no point in saving her. 

To be honest I would much prefer playing against real humans to bot-controlled units because I would be able to predict what move they make, then it becomes a contest of brutality, especially if you are the programmer behind it. 

However, we can try campaigns where you have to fight off a much larger force with less units than the bot. 

Edited by Yekaterina