A25 Feedbacks from testing

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What are they short of?

is a Spaniard phrase that has become part of my lexicon.

It means that according to what I have read. The Iberians had more cavalry units  than we are representing.

By the way. Do you know why we have an Iberian lancer?

On 03/06/2021 at 5:51 PM, Ceres said:

When hovering over the button to progress to a next phase, we see hints like we need to build e.g. 4 more entities of this and that. But of what exactly? The same, e.g. identical houses, or 4 other structures that we have not yet built? This is (to me) not clear. I have not consulted the Wiki or other information sources about this, but maybe we can make this clearer in the in-game hint?

On 03/06/2021 at 11:54 PM, Yekaterina said:

I can patch that. Just exactly what should we put there?

Sorry, I was unable to multi-quote on my no mobile device, hence I created these 2 separate posts.

Does anybody know what exactly needs to be built to progress to the next phase when this in-game hint is shown? Thank you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Sorry, I was unable to multi-quote on my no mobile device, hence I created these 2 separate posts.

Does anybody know what exactly needs to be built to progress to the next phase when this in-game hint is shown? Thank you!

U need any 3 town phase building, can be the same thing built 3 times

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ceres said:

And could this maybe made a bit clearer in the hint?

By the way, if I remember correctly, I once saw the word "undefined" (instead of a number) in that hint. I will try to reproduce this and post a screenshot (a24).

I have already submitted a patch, and this will be fixed in A25, I believe, if the other devs would approve. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ceres said:

Is it intended that it can be the same? Would it make (more) sense to have at least 3 different buildings?

The game mechanics intended that 3 of the same structures is fine, and I like that as I can skip to P3 quicker. There aren't that many buildings choices for most civs so I think that is reasonable.

However, for Carthage and Kush we can force them to build 4 or more town structures as their apartment buildings, embassies and camps all count as town buildings.  

On 05/06/2021 at 1:22 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Sheesh. I've been playing with these trees for over a year and run into no problems.

The trees look really nice and might have realistic size but I had the same impression like Yekaterina about the size. I think it could cause some trouble because you really don't see whats going on under the canopy (Except changing camera angel, which I believe most players wont do.). Ever fought under a treetop like this? I have the feeling players won't like this trees.

3 hours ago, Ceres said:
On 05/06/2021 at 10:40 AM, Yekaterina said:

U need any 3 town phase building, can be the same thing built 3 times

Is it intended that it can be the same? Would it make (more) sense to have at least 3 different buildings?

I thought about the same. A real city needs a blacksmith, a temple and a marked! Not 3 of one type of this buildings and also not any mixture of 2 of one type plus one another. :)However, most of the Civs need stone for the temple and stone is what u already need to go to P3. So this change might have a stronger impact then assumed. So far as I know most players avoid building a temple and prefer building a second black smith to go from P2 to P3. People should think about this and test it. It should be a future change and not as a last minute change for a25.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nobbi said:

The trees look really nice and might have realistic size but I had the same impression like Yekaterina about the size. I think it could cause some trouble because you really don't see whats going on under the canopy (Except changing camera angel, which I believe most players wont do.). Ever fought under a treetop like this? I have the feeling players won't like this trees.

I think the really wide one could be reduced in size, agreed. Though, don't the gatherers cast a silhouette? 

11 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I build 2 blacksmith anyways to upgrade the infantry in time, before the first confrontation. But summoning the top players:

@LetswaveaBook @Player of 0AD @ValihrAnt @chrstgtr @borg- 

What do you think about the 3 town phase buildings? Should they all be different? 

You should NOT be forced to build different buildings

Btw thanks but I'm not really a top player  ; )

2 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

You should NOT be forced to build different buildings

Btw thanks but I'm not really a top player  ; )

I agree, that would favour Carthage  and Kush too much over the other civs. 

lol you are too underrated. check out my new rating system here: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/42429-proposal-new-rating-calculation-system/

I need you to check my maths

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

What do you think about the 3 town phase buildings? Should they all be different? 

I think there is no need to require that. If people want to build 3 blacksmiths that is fine by me.

By the way: If you are talking about top players, Staratt and boredrusher are on the forum too and they are probably better than me.

Edited by LetswaveaBook

1 hour ago, Yekaterina said:

I build 2 blacksmith anyways to upgrade the infantry in time, before the first confrontation. But summoning the top players:

@LetswaveaBook @Player of 0AD @ValihrAnt @chrstgtr @borg- 

I don't believe in unnecessarily limiting player choice. There are pros and cons of constructing each building (and not constructing each building). Let the players decide what they want and what strategy they want to use.

And for that matter, I would prefer there be no building requirements at all. If a player wants to go p3 with 20 pop, fine. If a player wants to rush p3 without a market, blacksmith or other p2 buildings, fine. If you want players to make more types of buildings then the buildings themselves should be more worthwhile. 

Besides there aren't enough buildings to force everyone to build different buildings. If that was required everyone would have 3 of 5 (or however many buildings are available) and everyone's build order/base would look very similar. 

Edited by chrstgtr

Sorry, I didn't mean to challenge that they can be identical buildings. It's good if the hint is clear in this regard.

A bit OT:

If one has 2 blacksmiths (or any other 2 or even more identical buildings), does exploration of a new technology from these buildings progress faster than with only one? Would one have to select all of them before starting that exploration? Or is the "only" advantage of e.g. 2 or more blacksmiths that one can explore different technologies or upgrades in parallel?

17 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to challenge that they can be identical buildings. It's good if the hint is clear in this regard.

A bit OT:

If one has 2 blacksmiths (or any other 2 or even more identical buildings), does exploration of a new technology from these buildings progress faster than with only one? Would one have to select all of them before starting that exploration? Or is the "only" advantage of e.g. 2 or more blacksmiths that one can explore different technologies or upgrades in parallel?

At the moment it is just about parallel research. I don't think most players can afford to research techs at that rate if we give it a bonus. The only reason why I can afford this is because I have mined a lot of metal in village phase and can barter more using excess food or stone.

• Thanks 1

How do you test a25? Do you compile the latest available code, or do you use the latest available automated builds (for Windows)? If the latter, how do you fetch the complete package? Where could I find more hints about these questions?

I had a look there but am unsure how to proceed:

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk?rev=25719

How would I DL all the files that I need? (want to install/use them in parallel to my a24 installation, hopefully without any side effects, e.g. about the profile etc.)

(I am a bit reluctant to build, understanding that I might miss some late-breaking changes.)

Thank you! :)

Edited by Ceres