A25 Feedbacks from testing

Thanks to all of you. So when I build under Windows again, I shall try it. I have 8 GB RAM on my notebook but might try also building on a Synology VM with 16 GB (with a Debian guest OS, though).

Maybe a stupid question of mine: Can I build (cross compile) under Linux a Windows executable of 0 A.D.?

I have no clear preference between these OS' but just use whatever works best at the moment and for the purpose. :)

Edited by Ceres

Here is a replay from A25 build 30th May 2021, svn. 

Some comments

1. Amazing graphics (not sure if everyone's pc can handle this)

2. Very fast pace, like in A23

3. Units stick together (good for melee pushes)

4. Unit pathfinder and duty queue are a little bit strange. They don't really choose the closest woodline all the time. 

2021-05-30_0001.zip

Well done to the devs!

8 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

They don't really choose the closest woodline all the time.

Maybe because they choose the closest to the dropsite? Which may result in going around the dropsite? If not, do you have a specific point in time for that observed behaviour?

9 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

They don't really choose the closest woodline all the time.

I think I've seen this a couple of times.

9 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

duty queue are a little bit strange.

They stop training when they run out of resources. And you have to reassign the queue.

Speaking about reassigning queues: Do women (or other workers) go to nearby fields or other resources automatically if a resource is empty or (if not a field) is already occupied by the maximum of possible people? I ask, because in a24 I've seen them standing idle despite there were fields and trees very close. Sorry that I don't have a screenshot; maybe I can post one later. And I'm interested to learn if it's intended behaviour - also in a25? Thank you!

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

Sorry that I don't have a screenshot; maybe I can post one later. And I'm interested to learn if it's intended behaviour - also in a25? Thank you!

It seems to me that it is less obvious. what I do notice is that they stop a lot when they are in default formations.

• Thanks 1

I have not thought about this and never (maybe with very few exceptions) used specific formations, at least not for women.

So could it be that when in formation, this formation hinders the people to "walk away" to some errands close by, which would seem reasonable to a human player but not from the point of view of the design of a formation?

If this topic is too OT on this thread, please let me know; I would start an extra thread, of that is preferred and helps.

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

Speaking about reassigning queues: Do women (or other workers) go to nearby fields or other resources automatically if a resource is empty or (if not a field) is already occupied by the maximum of possible people? I ask, because in a24 I've seen them standing idle despite there were fields and trees very close. Sorry that I don't have a screenshot; maybe I can post one later. And I'm interested to learn if it's intended behaviour - also in a25? Thank you!

Well replays (short please) for such bugs would be nice.

14 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

4. Unit pathfinder and duty queue are a little bit strange. They don't really choose the closest woodline all the time. 

I think it's because that gathers in a25 try to find another source to gather from (if it's full like 8/8 of a tree) just after assigning them to gather resources, while previously they would only begin the search after reaching the target.

They should choose the cloest one from the target but not from themselves.

Edited by StarAtt
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, StarAtt said:

No they shouldn't. Unless you are a one handed gamer.

Or you cannot count past 8 up to 10

Or cannot be bothered to choose where to click to send your units in the game you are playing.

Or cannot be troubled to look away from the glorious artistic vision of your civic Center long enough to manage your units.

But Im a gamer.

4 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I have noticed that soldiers sometimes don't go on to the next tree, likely because they are assigned to a formation. Formation controller/UnitAI conflicts and makes the soldiers stop gathering after the first target is depleted? 

exactly that happens to me.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, StarAtt said:

I think it's because that gathers in a25 try to find another source to gather from (if it's full like 8/8 of a tree) just after assigning them to gather resources, while previously they would only begin the search after reaching the target.

Should they also switch to another resource (e.g. stone), if the previous one (e.g. wood) is depleted? Or should they stick always to the same type of resource? Should they become idle when all of the same kind of resource is depleted, or should they then at least switch to another resource?

Is it possible to tell them not to use one's allies' resources? Or even the foes' resources? (to draw less attraction) What if the currently worked on resources are depleted and they wander into foes' territories? Is there a wish to disable/toggle this behaviour? (just a few thoughts)

16 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Should they also switch to another resource (e.g. stone), if the previous one (e.g. wood) is depleted? Or should they stick always to the same type of resource? Should they become idle when all of the same kind of resource is depleted, or should they then at least switch to another resource?

Is it possible to tell them not to use one's allies' resources? Or even the foes' resources? (to draw less attraction) What if the currently worked on resources are depleted and they wander into foes' territories? Is there a wish to disable/toggle this behaviour? (just a few thoughts)

I think these are all things that would be "too much", from the unitAI standpoint. Players are still supposed to play the game ;) 

That being said, I think we could have a higher level AI-assistant (that would be an actual AI in coop) for these kind of things in the (probably far) future

• Like 3