we need volunteers ... There are many absent members

Lion.Kanzen

4 minutes ago, happyconcepts said:

You ask us to clean up the A24 mess made by @borg- and @Nescio

Why these elitists cannot clean up their own mess? They make new fo3um names and move the circus along huh

Seriously.

We are working on it, we have to reach an agreement and well, we had to report more changes and they had to tell us what they wanted to achieve.

They only focused on the Phabricator. and there they discussed everything and there were few of us.

There are many mods proposed in this forum, that need serious testing. If we had some general testing schedule arranged in some way, it would be easier for us to join the efforts. I don't have so much free time, and just popping in the lobby when I can, to see if there's someone to try mods with, doesn't work. Or at least it didn't when I tried.

25 minutes ago, seeh said:

-make multiplayer attractive to new players and veterans

That is one difficult task, however, I have an idea:

1. Apart from the ratings, new players could be given a "newbie" badge to indicate they are new to the game, so that new players will play with new players instead of stumbling into a pro TG and get smashed at minute 3. Everyone will know who is new and will be gentle to them. 

2. The badge disappears after they have completed 10 multiplayer games, can be TG or 1v1. By the end of 10 games they would be quite familiar with multiplayer dynamic. 

The catch to this is newcomers to the lobby have a range of skills; some go straight in after finishing the tutorial while others are capable of defeating multiple bots simultaneously. Also there might be smurfs.  

If there is someone who is rated above 1400, I would be open to try a mod with that person and test balance. So if you see me around in the lobby, you can ping me.

It is not that I have a problem with people rated below 1400, but I feel that the result would depend on the difference in player skill instead of the mod features.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

If there is someone who is rated above 1400, I would be open to try a mod with that person and test balance. So if you see me around in the lobby, you can ping me.

It is not that I have a problem with people rated below 1400, but I feel that the result would depend on the difference in player skill instead of the mod features.

LetswaveaBook I am around 1420 :D 

It depends i think , there is skill in optimizing your eco and that is almost completely different from combat skill. The first tends to become a glass ceiling while the latter is far trickier to gauge precisely because it has so many variables. Being good at troop micro and game sense / map knowledge are good ways to measure a player's skill but aren't always rewarded. For example, micro management's impact  decreasses as the game goes on( and most games only end after phase 3) as it either dies when the game starts to chug and/or isn't really effective when going for a players home base( from my experience, an overwhelming majority of fights happen at someone's doorstep , there isn't almost any open field battles) and lastly some, not all, micro intensive units suffer from extremely awful path finding and collision issues. Might as well just set the spawn point of barracks to where the fight is and shift + mouse 1  away.

• Like 1

Everyone uses control groups , i personally like to put both melee inf and a dozen or so ranged troops in group 1 in battle line since  the game puts melee troops , specially champions in the front ranks and ranged inf in the back , i also put cav with group 2 in collumn formation since from my experience their pathfinding seems better and their collision is marginally lessed. 

Edited by PyrrhicVictoryGuy
  • Like 1

On 11/05/2021 at 12:07 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

No problem...  We need an army of volunteers.

-------

@BoredRusher @badosu You too.

Hello everyone !
Sorry for the late.

Yes, I'm obviously interested in joining the testing team !

What are the procedures please ? Should I simply play test newer A25 and send here my remarks ?

In addition, I have heard that this A25 will be the last version with features adding, so I guess it must be the best in terms of completion, right ?

I'm listening to you, thanks and all the best !

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BoredRusher said:

What are the procedures please ? Should I simply play test newer A25 and send here my remarks ?

Play testing intensively the development version is definitely something desirable, yes. 

33 minutes ago, BoredRusher said:

In addition, I have heard that this A25 will be the last version with features adding, so I guess it must be the best in terms of completion, right ?

Where have you heard that? The only thing that was announced that we will stop adding A25 features on the first of June, if there is no delay. It doesn't mean A26 won't get new features.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Stan` said:

Play testing intensively the development version is definitely something desirable, yes. 

Where have you heard that? The only thing that was announced that we will stop adding A25 features on the first of June, if there is no delay. It doesn't mean A26 won't get new features.

Nice ! I will get involved into this so. Will post my remarks and suggestions there soon.

And thank you for the precision :)

Have a nice day !

• Like 1

We are getting close to the alpha 25 freeze date now. Much ink has been spilled on a variety of worthy topics, hopefully not too much of it in vain. Happily, I've got the privilege of an unusually light work week on my plate starting tomorrow. If there are any last minute tasks that need doing, I can help out.

I'm guessing I should join onto the designated IRC to coordinate efforts and get help with using the version control system. Or is there a better way that you would prefer?

• Like 3

I am going to consult on how it should be better. I think that if we push a single mod to do weekly tests and from that mod patches could come out.

@Stan` 

we have many proposals, what would you like to know or what is most useful to developers?

we can make a single mod for A 25 - A26

and this one can be tested a lot.
or what you do with patches, but it is less popular and less people can test it.

@ChronA Indeed you are most welcome to join us for a chat on IRC to discuss the open tasks.

A start would be to create some gameplay patches that were discussed and mainly accepted on the forum and/or give your opinion on the already open gameplay patches (https://code.wildfiregames.com/search/query/hT5qQCqmuquS/#R). We're happy to help you getting up to speed with SVN or git.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Freagarach said:

@ChronA Indeed you are most welcome to join us for a chat on IRC to discuss the open tasks.

A start would be to create some gameplay patches that were discussed and mainly accepted on the forum and/or give your opinion on the already open gameplay patches (https://code.wildfiregames.com/search/query/hT5qQCqmuquS/#R). We're happy to help you getting up to speed with SVN or git.

how many people still needed at least?

Hello!

Is it possible to cross-compile, e.g. a Windows binary on Linux?

No big problem of not, as I could already compile latest git with VS on Win 10.

I have no experience in online multiplayer gaming (and don't want to), but I can test local multiplayer gaming on 3 PCs with the kids (who might get disappointed if something is broken, but I can explain to them they would be a part of something useful :)).

After I have gone through this thread, it's not entirely clear to me, though, if there is a specific approach for testing, a defined list of stuff that should be tested, where to post identified problems. Thanks for helping me understanding this better. I will be happy to help as possible.