As i was playing  I started to wonder what the formations do at the moment, especially the more specific ones like the syntagma , phalanx and wedge ?

They aren´t fully impelemented as the starting screen in the menu states ( looking at you phalanx) and so i would like to ask what is planned for these 3 formations i mentioned in the next iteration of the game , not only from a unit stat change but their behavior in combat as well .

Of course i would also ask what would you guys think about the ups and downs of their implementation in regards to the current meta.

Answering as a "team member", I'll say that the notion of "plan" for 0 A.D. is murky at best. We don't really have a well defined end-goal for the gameplay at the moment.

The general notion was to have formations be a larger part of combat than in the Age of Empires series, though probably not as involved as Total War.

----

My personal opinion is that they're somewhat unlikely to be more than Age-of-Empires like, that is, a movement/micro helper. The current gameplay doesn't really benefit from formation, nor would they really work compared to not using them.

10 minutes ago, wraitii said:

Answering as a "team member", I'll say that the notion of "plan" for 0 A.D. is murky at best. We don't really have a well defined end-goal for the gameplay at the moment.

The general notion was to have formations be a larger part of combat than in the Age of Empires series, though probably not as involved as Total War.

----

My personal opinion is that they're somewhat unlikely to be more than Age-of-Empires like, that is, a movement/micro helper. The current gameplay doesn't really benefit from formation, nor would they really work compared to not using them.

We must consider the ideas of @DarcReaver, no all of them, but make a revisionism.

1 hour ago, wraitii said:

----

Well that is a shame , at the moment when you make a syntagma , the phalangites just spread out like normal and i was expecting a bit more going forward but oh well. 

• Like 2