easiest Civ for beginners?

From a beginner's perspective, similar things should look similar too. compare india war ele and mauryans archer elephant. I think those who have been playing a little longer will of course not want to change that (almost all of them). I understand that of course. it is confusing anyway. to make it easier to understand, mauri seem sometimes good to me. for quick play ptol. many of the ptol looks a bit similar. my opinion.
maybe Spartans are a bit slower, thats maybe the easier.

Maurya and Ptolemies are not easy civs to play with, because they require a lot of micro-managing. 

Easy beginner civs:

1. Rome (good at defence, doesn't have major weaknesses, not too complex structure tree)

2. Britons (not much to learn, pure brutality, useful dog, quick houses)

3. Iberia (OP defence, simple structure tree)

Spartans are slightly more difficult because you need to balance the eco for skiritai and hoplite champs. Requires much metal mining.

Carthage is strong if you bother to learn their structure tree. They can play many different strategies. Same applies for Macedon

Athens... strong navy but weak on land.

Kush, Seleucid, Ptolemies, Maurya are OP if you know how to play them, but maybe not for beginners. 

Persians... hard to master, slow boom. 

Gaul... you have to rush and raid at all times, which is not easy for nubs. I can't play them. 

• Like 2

I think Seleucids would be the best for beginners.  I consider rushing not a strategy suited to beginners, so I would recommend a civ that has the tools to crack a defense. Seleucids seem to be the best for that. They have pikemen, cavalry archers, cataphracts with more HP, good siege&elephants and their military colonies are nice too. The thing why I would recommend them over Ptolemies is their champion swordsmen which prevents a weakness to rams.

• Like 3

The camp swords really make the diference although you can g with   a 5/1 or maybe 5/2  , pikemen swordsman ratio ,  get no more than 5  elephants  ( 10 or more if go with seleukus) , then sink your resources in the champ cav paired with stable upgrades and antiochus , this army comp will make godly at micro when you eventually start winning ehehheh.

• Like 1

Seleucids do have the potential to cater for a wide range of strategies, yes, especially cavalry. They are almost on par with Persians in that respect, but also have the siege tower troll and elephant tsunami...

However, you need to choose between champion pikemen and champion swordsmen. Not sure if nubs can always make the correct choice. Also their structure tree is above average in complexity. 

Personally I find cavalry somewhat difficult to use compared to infantry push, maybe nubs will also find it challenging. 

• Like 1

My favourite civ now is Macedonians. I am not sure if they are suitable for beginners but I can pull out many surprising tactics with them. 

Pros: they allow you to play any strategy you can think of (except for elephants, of course). Counters archer effectively

Con: Booms slowly due to pikemen, complicated structure tree. 

Macedon is a good starting point to learn the game because you see pretty much every infantry and siege unit, as well as some cav options. 

• Like 1

Like seriously Phillip makes xbow  and  companions godly. For cavalry i find that you have to kinda trick your opponent  to bait them into coming a bit ou of position since that is what melee cav punishes more . I am yet to try spear cav plus cav skirms or regular skirms though . The only gripe i have with phillip is that in game he doesn't have the vergina cuirass.

Demetrios is a very safe and solid choice obviously but I'll always remember him as the poor sod who couldn't take Rhodes.

8 hours ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

Quick update , phillip indeed has the armor , i tested this just now  but i swear i did a game where he had that brown armor that is on his portrait , maybe he also has cuirass permutations?

Yeah, he has an armor variation ith the big gorgon face on it. In DE, I believe I removed that variation and used it elsewhere.