Sneak Peek of 0 A.D. Alpha 25

mysticjim

sea1-400x225.jpg

Sneak Peek of 0 A.D. Alpha 25

A provisional date of June 2021 has been proposed for the ‘Feature Freeze’ – the point at which new features for the upcoming Alpha version of 0 A.D. stop being added and the development team focus solidly on bugfixes. This is not the release date. The feature freeze is one of the precursors to release, with the specific launch date to follow. You can find more information here.

First Impressions of Alpha 25

Be sure to tune into the Tom0AD live stream on YouTube on Friday 7th May 2021 at 9pm CET to see a preview of the latest development version of Alpha 25 in action. The broadcast will feature Tom and fellow YouTubers, Alistair Findlay, and Jim Cogan (0AD Newbie Rush) putting the dev version through its paces live on air. And there will also be a live Q&A session with 0 A.D. Developer, Stan`.

New Features

Following closely on the heels of Alpha 24, this latest iteration of 0 A.D. will look to further build on functionality and further expand the existing feature set while also fixing existing  bugs. With a shorter planned gap between alpha releases this time around, most of the proposed additions are subtle and geared toward small improvements in the current and future player experience rather than headline features. But there are a few notable things to look out for.

• Single Player Campaign Support:
    The ability for 0 A.D modders to create their own single player campaigns will be added. Alpha 25 will only include the base functionality for this with full campaigns scheduled to be added in later iterations.
  • Improved Multiplayer Responsiveness
    A technical improvement that players may ‘feel’ rather than see, this is another progressive improvement step to smoothing out multiplayer gameplay and enhancing unit pathfinding. Before commands in multiplayer were processed twice per second, now five times like in single player.
  • Ongoing Balancing Changes
    Numerous changes to balance of the game by way of micro adjustments to various civilisations, buildings, and units.

For a full list of all proposed features/changes visit the Alpha 25 Wiki page.

Get Involved! Your Chance to Name the New Alpha

Every new iteration of 0 A.D. gets a name, and this is your chance to contribute your suggestions. The Alpha 25 Name Suggestions thread on the 0 A.D. Community Forum has been open since January 2021, but there is still time to vote for your favourite and put forward your own suggestions.
0 A.D. release names start with the letter of the alphabet that corresponds to the release version. Alpha 22 was Venustas, Alpha 23 was Ken Wood, Alpha 24 was Xšayāršā, and Alpha 25 will start with a ‘Y’.
Check out the thread here.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, mysticjim said:

Every new iteration of 0 A.D. gets a name, and this is your chance to contribute your suggestions. The Alpha 25 Name Suggestions thread on the 0 A.D. Community Forum has been open since January 2021, but there is still time to vote for your favourite and put forward your own suggestions.
0 A.D. release names start with the letter of the alphabet that corresponds to the release version. Alpha 22 was Venustas, Alpha 23 was Ken Wood, Alpha 24 was Xšayāršā, and Alpha 25 will start with a ‘Y’.
Check out the thread here.

Elephant or Starfish....

(Joke)

On 03/05/2021 at 7:49 PM, av93 said:

Nice to see this kind of news again

Thanks - it's part of the PR/Social Media Strategy I'm enacting. The announcement also appeared on the website and was either quoted in full or linked to the website announcement across the mainstream social media platforms. I think @Stan` has done some of the more niche platforms - pretty sure he posted on Mastodon, but for now I'm focusing on website, forum and Twitter/Reddit/Facebook and Insta. The plan is there will be one main announcement per calendar month like this one, then ad-hoc postings and retweets/shares across the SM platforms throughout the month. It's just to keep the Social Media accounts ticking over with activity, spread the word a bit and get some trending on the 0AD hashtag, etc - hopefully giving the project a little more visibility and accessibility. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/05/2021 at 8:24 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

We need this type of content in multiple languages.

Not at all obviously.

Got to admit - so many of the players and contributors speak such good English, it's easy to forget just how international the 0AD community is. Being a native English speaker I'm probably guilty of taking it for granted, so I think you make a great point regarding translations. 

I'd imagine getting it translated into Spanish, German, French and Italian wouldn't be all that tricky and would cover the largest reader-bases. Beyond that, I think it would be best endeavors - you can easily make a case for Portuguese, Russian, Mandarin and Cantonese, Urdu and Punjabi, then you're into the realms of a major translation exercise to rival that of the game itself before you even get to Middle Eastern, African, Eastern European and Scandinavian languages. It would be quite an effort (apologies to everyone I've not mentioned, too!) 

I don't think me running it through Google Translate would really cut it, and I'm not sure how we'd present it all either. But - I've met people from all over the world playing 0AD, it's one of the best things about this community - we do have to think internationally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mysticjim said:

I'd imagine getting it translated into Spanish, German, French and Italian wouldn't be all that tricky and would cover the largest reader-bases

And Portuguese (Brazilian)

Lopess and -Borg speak that language

In addition, the rest of the usual ones.

Wraitii and Stan  speak French.

I speak Spanish ( also Alexandermb, Trinketos and av93) 

Several speak German or some Germanic language.

@Sundiata speak many languages

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mysticjim said:

I'm focusing on website, forum and Twitter/Reddit/Facebook and Insta. 

Recently a YouTube video was posted here by @Lion.Kanzen, the video is called Top FREE Games: First Look - 0 A.D. (29/Apr/21). In this video, a user goes through the site and takes a look at the game. He does pretty much the same thing I did after discovering 0 A.D.: he collects information from play0ad.com. Are there any plans to update outdated information on the website, such as "Game Info" (Features, Factions), "Media" and "About" (The Story of 0 A.D.)?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Langbart said:

Recently a YouTube video was posted here by @Lion.Kanzen, the video is called Top FREE Games: First Look - 0 A.D. (29/Apr/21). In this video, a user goes through the site and takes a look at the game. He does pretty much the same thing I did after discovering 0 A.D.: he collects information from play0ad.com. Are there any plans to update outdated information on the website, such as "Game Info" (Features, Factions), "Media" and "About" (The Story of 0 A.D.)?

@Stan` this for you because is of   highly management, the people who think about the whole project.(you).

Stan connects us, he is the center.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Langbart said:

Well tell me what you want to change :) I have access, you have the time and means :)

2 hours ago, azayrahmad said:

Sorry to nitpick, but I believe it is Sneak Peek.

Also this is just my opinion, but I think it would be good if the in-game screenshots are not heavily edited/filtered, so people wouldn't have incorrect perception on how the game actually look.

You're right :/ We missed that.

• Like 2

• Stan` changed the title to Sneak Peek of 0 A.D. Alpha 25
On 03/05/2021 at 5:06 AM, mysticjim said:

Single Player Campaign Support:
The ability for 0 A.D modders to create their own single player campaigns will be added. Alpha 25 will only include the base functionality for this with full campaigns scheduled to be added in later iterations.

This is god :v

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/05/2021 at 2:46 AM, mysticjim said:

I don't think me running it through Google Translate would really cut it

No it would not. People can always run it through GT themselves  - it still makes grammar mistakes and some mistranslations that could be anything from slightly embarrassing to quite incomprehensible, depending on the language pair and direction translated.

Regarding Twitter/Mastodon, there's a nice crossposter that could save you some work https://masto.donte.com.br/@crossposter

• Like 2