A paused multiplayer game seems to keep the clients very busy with high load on GPU, CPU, and fans

Hello!

When playing a multiplayer 0 A.D. game on 2 PCs and pausing it on both, both PCs keep being very busy with high load on GPU, CPU, and fans. Since saving and restoring multiplayer games is not yet possible, the kids wanted to let both PCs running with the game paused. Because of the continuing high demand on the hardware, power consumption, and noise of the fans I was not too happy about their idea. :huh:

Is there anything that could be done to reduce the load on PCs with a paused multiplayer game? Already now with the latest developers' version or maybe in the future? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Just now, Stan` said:

I think the problem is that the game keeps rendering the static image when paused (Because i can use that to test options quickly)

Nothing wrong with adding a execution speed 0x option or pause renderer option (D1217) distinct from pause ... Pause is pausing the game foremost.

• Thanks 1

Pause render option is possibly useful for fast-forwarding a replay or for catching up as an observer in multiplayer games.

Execution speed x0 would be useful for testing graphics option or could be used as simulation pause when opening menus like civ page.

Pause as in "game pause" for me is "I do currently something different, don't bother me with sound or high load meanwhile, I'll be back".

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hyperion said:

Pause as in "game pause" for me is "I do currently something different, don't bother me with sound or high load meanwhile, I'll be back".

Thank you! :) This is what I have on my mind but was unable to describe properly.

Would that work for multiplayer games as well?

Edited by Ceres

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

I think the problem is that the game keeps rendering the static image when paused (Because i can use that to test options quickly)

@vladislavbelov

It's not static, you can move your camera while paused, you can use UI while paused. To fix overload one might enable V-Sync or use FPS limiter. If it's all enabled then the hardware isn't good enough to handle its current graphics settings.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

It's not static, you can move your camera while paused, you can use UI while paused. To fix overload one might enable V-Sync or use FPS limiter. If it's all enabled then the hardware isn't good enough to handle its current graphi

My point is it shouldn't use any resources when minimized :)

• Thanks 1

Maybe putting the PCs to sleep would be an option. However, when we did that and later woke them up again, it was not possible to continue the multiplayer game. The message was about a player behind or something like this. I can check again.