The 0AD Editor Layout

Aeros

Hey everyone :lol: Currently I'm working on the layout of the scenario editor for 0AD, since we have a priority for community input, I'd just like to get some opinions from the masses.

concept2.gif

Please vote in this poll on how you would rate this layout, also please state what you like about this interface concept, what you don't like, or how you think it could be improved. Note that this is only for the layout of the editor, not it's features.

Some notes on the concept:

- The white boxes are shortcut buttons, similar to those in AoM.

- the "Info box" is a unique feature to our editor that displays handy information on the current task that you are doing in the editor. It's just there on the screenshot to give an example of where it will be placed.

- the Gray areas are "opague", and you can't see through them.

- The "section menus" area is where the terrain section, and unit section and triggers section etc will apear.

note that this image in no way represents the features or layout of our Editor and is only for Conceptual purposes only. This layout is not guarunteed to be carried out into release.

Me, a guy who doesn't even touch the editor, is thinking something like. Wouldn't you normally have a higher resolution on the screen? That'd mean you could keep everything the same size it is now, but that you'd just expand the game world area. Sound ok? Cause I'm agreeing with Ulysses about the viewing area, it looks pretty small.

Gotcha :lol:

Well we're doing a bunch of things to increase visibility, like a hide UI feature, where all the opague parts are turned transparent, so you see through everything but text and buttons.

For this concept, I always forget to say things :)

The section menus won't be exactly like that, imagine the one in the pic a 2 seperate bars, a horizontal and vertical one. At any given time only one of them will be displayed, so you'll have room to see. (am I allowed to be saying stuff like this? ;) Oh well)

About changing resolutions, I'm not sure what we'll do, but we'll probably have everything in the editor be scaled to whatever resolution you're on, so things won't stay the same size.

Question: Is this concept better than this one?

concept1.2.gif

Note that the undo history is just part of the info box, it displays things like that like I already said.

Thanks for the input, yeah we're going to tweak the size of everything so it's just right, and we've yet to try this concept out in-game.

The help box will be toggled on and off :) It'll really be a feature to just introduce newbies to the editor.

So you guys all like 1.2 better than 2? But then maybe thats because you all came from AomH, Concept 1.2 is really an AOMish theme :lol: Meh

We'll probably combine both concepts and get everything thats good from them into one, once again thanks for your input

Another thing I would like to add,

Many times, you don't even need two menus (selection, list).

For example, map generation can come just in the bottom one, same with Terrain placement, same with Units too infact.

As such everything can be incorporated into one set of box, but two might be useful for triggers and camera sequences.

So I would suggest keeping one of the box relative to the menu selected, you don't need it all the times, unless you plan to have a way to incorporate all functions in two lists.