Who Do You Think....?

Paal_101

I don't know much about the unit list, but I'm guessing here :lol: who do you think would be the absolute most dangerous of these units? Romans will be pretty dangerous, the best swordsmen of the ancient world, but don't knock the sheer power of the Spartan hoplite. Gauls would be fast and quick with a good sword, plus the Immortal has a bow to compliment his weapons.

It may be a bit early to be asking this, but hey keeps the boards busy :) Plus speculation is fun!

You can't really compare their battle performance like Issus and Gaugamela (both of which was a great victory on the Greek side), because it all depends on tactics, commander, etc. For example, if you have a commander like Crassus, even the post-Marian legions can get thrashed. :lol: Heck, if you look at Varus you might as well call the Visigoths King of the Ancient Military World.

That said, 1-1, I'd probably think the Post-Marian Legionary of early Empire.

Actually, I'd rather be Roman than a Gaul: better armour, HUGE shield that can cover 90 percent of your body, and a sword that is almost always fatal went stabbed into an opponent's thorax. Gauls may have been bigger, but his sword was a slashing sword which the Romans were able to block easily (first off you saw the blow coming from a long way off, prep for the swing just advertises "I'm gonna hit you"), whereas you couldn't detect the stab with a gladius until a split second after he jabbed it out.

The long sword vs. short sword thing is exactly the same principle that we use in karate in the round-house-punch vs. harpoon/straight-out-punch that Wado karate uses. The roundhouse/long sword requires a shift in weight, shoulder position, feet position, etc. These just scream "Here it comes!" But a quick "snake strike" punch (in-out) like with a gladius is hard to see (trust me I've been nailed but those punches, and used 'em too :lol: )

And biggest thing: Roman was trained how to use his equipment, whereas a Gaul had great fighting spirit (not knocking Gauls at all, just telling my side of the pic ;)) but was more of an amateur compared.

My money would be on the Roman :)

Spartan Hoplite.  They're the coolest whether or not theyd win (one v one or army v army). :lol:

Hmm, if I may give this critical remark: In 168 B.C., Roman troops under Aemilius Paullus fought against the whole greek phalanx (about 25,000 men), and the Roman Legionaires cut the greeks to pieces with great success - mainly because the phalanx was not very mobile in battle and the Roman Commander was a wise one and did not waste his troops running against the Greeks spears.

This was the battle at Pydna, on the foot of mount Olympus - it took place on 22. June 168 B.C. and set an end to the remains of the post-classical greek empire of Alexander the Great.

When the two armies, the Greeks slightly superior in numbers (four Roman legions vs. the whole greek army), met in the dawn of the 22. June, the Romans first threw their pila and then attacked with the sword. The Greeks were standing in a narrow formation with their spears pointing to the Roman front. When the pila hit them, many got slightly hurt or the pila got stuck in their shields and they couldn't remove them without putting down the shield and spear. Now, the Roman lines advanced, but didn't try to break though the wall of spears - though the first line crashed into them on purpose, so that the Greek spears were fixed to the Roman shields and the Greek men could hardly move. Now, when the Romans attacked with the sword, the General commanded the Centurions to advance with their units on their own command. The Centurions then used the elevation of terrain and points like trees to get around the greek spears and attacked the flanks. While being penetrated by the Romans in this way, the Greeks still could stand the attack. Now, general Paulus commanded one more Legion he had been holding back to attack the center of the Greek formation. Now, being attacked from three sides, the Greek phalax broke and the Romans got into the Greek lines. The big spears now only hindered the Greeks and they started to flee the battle. When the sun got down behind the mount Olympus, general Paullus commanded to stop the interception of the few remaining Greek troops and ordered to count the fallen soldiers. The Romans lost about 100 Legionaires - while there were 20,000 death Greeks lying on the plain in front of mount Olympus. Greece had fallen to Rome.