Hotkeys always set to English keyboard layout? (despite different language setting)

Ceres

@seeh

Thanks for your PM, mentioning autociv (nani's mod, which @Stan` also mentioned above). For passerby - have a look there:

This thread here has become some life of its own (not to say that I went quite OT ;)), but it seems to be ok. So please allow me to add some further thoughts about key mapping and hotkey templates:

Understanding that we do have default key bindings in 0 A.D., everybody can change them in the game settings. Therefore, providing a ready-to-use template only makes sense for this default key setting (which over time might change as well). I would like to only prepare a default template (let's see how far I come with this), very likely without the autociv mod mappings. If the result is agreeable, I would ask Michael to add it to his database (see Master Table for an overview of his keyboard list). From there, every interested 0 A.D. user could fetch it and change it to her/his personal flavour. :) Feel free asking questions about his tool in his GitHub repository.

Edited by Ceres

I will create a first template for the keyboard I own myself, which is a (German) Apple Aluminium Keyboard A1243, understanding that there might not be so many 0 A.D. users with this one. It is too difficult (if not to say impossible) to do this for a US ANSI keyboard as I previously planned, as I do not own one and would not know where exactly which key is. But maybe it will not be too difficult to edit it to one's own keyboard layout when it is officially available.

@wraitii

The [Alt] setting there is not clear to me, as it seems to be defined twice:

[hotkey.selection]
cancel = Esc                            ; Un-select all units and cancel building placement
add = Shift                             ; Add units to selection
militaryonly = Alt                      ; Add only military units to the selection
nonmilitaryonly = "Alt+Y"               ; Add only non-military units to the selection
idleonly = "I"                          ; Select only idle units
woundedonly = "O"                       ; Select only wounded units
remove = Ctrl                           ; Remove units from selection
idlebuilder = Semicolon                 ; Select next idle builder
idleworker = Period, NumDecimal         ; Select next idle worker
idlewarrior = Slash, NumDivide          ; Select next idle warrior
idleunit = BackSlash                    ; Select next idle unit
offscreen = Alt                         ; Include offscreen units in selection

Militaryonly and offscreen? Or are these not really defined twice, because each definition is related to a certain situation/trigger? (sorry, I cannot play 0 A.D. right now to see myself)

Besides, I face the difficulty that Michael's tool includes the Apple A1243 US keyboard with 109 keys, whereas I have the German layout A1243 with 110 keys and some positioned differently. I always try keeping in mind that it does not really matter what is imprinted on each key, as long as the mapping makes sense (haptic-wise).

Sorry, another question:

[hotkey.selection]
remove = Ctrl                           ; Remove units from selection

[hotkey.session]
attack = Ctrl                ; Modifier to attack instead of another action (e.g. capture)

Does ".selection" differ from ".session" in the way that the latter Ctrl is seen in combination with mouse button click? Left or right? Else, I would not understand how it can be defined 2 times with the same key. Thanks for helping me understanding this.

Ok, thank you. I guess for today I call it a day (as the hotkey.session part is a bit difficult for me). Please see what I have managed so far (knowing that there might be mistakes and there is lots of room for discussion, amendments, and additions):

EDIT1: Sorry, I had to reupload.

EDIT2: When I look at it, I think that hiding the key letters/symbols might be beneficial, as the layout itself explains it already. There is (from my perspective) little reason to show Q, W, E, ..., Bright-, Ins, etc. Hiding these would leave more space for the 0 A.D. game settings and make them also more readable. Futhermore, the layout of the legend for the mouse could be amended (which is not under my control, though).

Please let me know what you think - even if you think this is of no use at all. Then I still learnt something from it. :D

1.png

keyboard-diagram-0ad.html

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 2

A note from Michael over on GitHub:

Also, note that there is an icon in the top-left of the editor that looks like two curly brackets { }.

If you click on it you get to a page where you can import/export JSON code. If you feel it is easier to edit this code in a text editor, you may use it instead. This code does not (yet) care whether it is a PC or Mac keyboard.

So 0 A.D. could create a proper JSON file based on the default or user-set key bindings, which could then be imported in Michael's tool. This is certainly not of a high priority, but when you developers/contributors think of touching/updating the key settings part, maybe you would like considering this for somewhere in the future?

EDIT: The key settings shown on the screenshot in the previous post are captured in the attached JSON file.

keyboard-diagram-0ad.json

Edited by Ceres

@wraitii

Hello!

I would like to be reviewer of German translations of 0 A.D. I asked 2 reviewers in the transifex 0 A.D. repo but have not yet heard back. Where else could I ask to add me to the group of German language reviewers (incl. group of translators, if that is possible) for 0 A.D.? Thank you so much for your hints.

Kind regards
Ceres

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @Stan` :)

Is it planned that all translations are reviewed? If I saw it correctly, all German translations have not yet been reviewed. I am uncertain about the general approach for 0 A.D. translations and especially reviewes, hence my question.

Wishing all of you a nice weekend! B)

Edited by Ceres

15 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Is it planned that all translations are reviewed? If I saw it correctly, all German translations have not yet been reviewed. I am uncertain about the general approach for 0 A.D. translations and especially reviewes, hence my question.

It's better if they are but it's not mandatory. Reviewing means you attest that a word or a sentence is 100% correct and matches with the other translations.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Localization

As you can see at the bottom there are dedicated pages for each language where you can add more rules. I can create a German page if you want.

• Like 1

I've started a "TOC". Well, it's not really a TOC but at least a start. :) I'm not sure yet, where this will lead to, but foremost, I shall spend more time on the review (and maybe some missing translation if there are such). But the idea to have some basic rules for translation is certainly nice - a style guide, so to speak. ;)

• Like 1

@Stan`

If you and other people involved in the development and in translations of 0 A.D. would you like consideration of Transifex alternatives, you might have a look there (another GitHub-hosted project, where Transifex has been used til now, until they found something - for them - more suitable):

https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/discussions/4641

Knowing the proverb "never change a running system", I fully understand if Transifex should be kept as the preferred solution.

And please accept my apologies that this has become OT now. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2021 at 5:19 PM, Stan` said:

@Ceres Sorry it took so long. I've added you as reviewer.

Maybe I misunderstood something, but I do not show up as reviewer there:

https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/teams/17418/de/

My name at Transifex is different than Ceres. Should I delete it and register as Ceres instead there?

PS: When I try to register as Ceres, it tells me that this username is already taken. I fear that I have messed it up somehow. :blush:

Edited by Ceres