I'm curious to know if there are other D&D fans in the Wildfire Games / 0 AD community.

What are your favorite settings? Mine are Planescape, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Spelljammer, Ravenloft and Dark Sun. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, m7600 said:

I'm curious to know if there are other D&D fans in the Wildfire Games / 0 AD community.

What are your favorite settings? Mine are Planescape, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Spelljammer, Ravenloft and Dark Sun. 

Spelljammer and Mystara are my favorites. I'm fond of Forgotten Realms as well.

• Like 1

Incidentally, 0 AD has a 3D dragon model, complete with textures. Obviously this model will never be used in Empires Ascendant, but clearly someone from the team was thinking of making a mythological mod. There's also an Elven ship and a few other things.

Screenshot from 2021-04-24 13-21-49.png

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Sturm said:

Although I played a lot in the second edition of AD&D, as well as the classic D&D, I confess to being a big fan of the cartoon based on the games. :)

I noticed that your profile pic is from Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager. It was painted by Gerald Brom, one of my favorite artists. He did a lot of work for Dark Sun.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sturm said:

Although I played a lot in the second edition of AD&D, as well as the classic D&D, I confess to being a big fan of the cartoon based on the games. :)

I enjoyed that Cartoon too and Neverwinter Nights which was based on D&D.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, m7600 said:

It was painted by Gerald Brom, one of my favorite artists.

I do have a large collection of books of most of TSR artists of that time... Keith Parkinson, Gerald Brom, Clyde Caldwell etc.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Sturm said:

I do have a large collection of books of most of TSR artists of that time... Keith Parkinson, Gerald Brom, Clyde Caldwell etc.

Legends, all of them. I love almost everything from the TSR era, part of it is nostalgia but there were truly amazing things being done back then. It would be awesome if they brought back Spelljammer and Dark Sun for example.

• Like 1

I remember when I was 13 or 14 years old, and I started to become interested in role-playing games. In Brazil, the market was starting to expand, so there were still few options and almost no access to imported games. In this context, a store called "Forbidden Planet" made advertisements in magazines and newspapers with some of the works of Keith Parkinson. Wow, that stirred my imagination. The works of all these artists, especially without the use of digital colorization, amuse me much more than the current works that use digital art to some extent. Of course, I don't believe that one technique is better than the other. It's a matter of taste. I still know that it looks like old people (- Ah, in my time things were better ...) But ... I still marvel at the works of the golden days of TSR. Good old days. 

• Like 3

I was never really interested in RPG electronic games, I must confess, lol. Ah, I played the first versions of Phantasy Star (I even played the Dreamcast version, I think). I was always more "old school", you know, table games, character sheets and dices. As a matter of fact, not even RTS games like 0 a.D I play. LOL. I'm here because I admire the beauty and the joint effort around this game. Thank you guys and congrats! And I am here also for recognizing the formidable result of a whole team of programmers, artists, players, etc. I always cite in my work 0 AD as a fabulous example of collaborative work and properly licensed in an open way, even though I am not exactly a great player. 

Edited by Sturm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still have Baldur's Gate CDs and the Core Rules CDs though getting them to run on Win10 just will not work no support for DX12 though they will work under WINE for us Linux Geeks since it can emulate XP and Win7 but not Win10 ATM. Also have quite a lot of the TSR books and campaign modules(and boxed sets).

Enjoy the Choice :) 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

Still have Baldur's Gate CDs and the Core Rules CDs though getting them to run on Win10 just will not work no support for DX12 though they will work under WINE for us Linux Geeks since it can emulate XP and Win7 but not Win10 ATM. Also have quite a lot of the TSR books and campaign modules(and boxed sets).

Enjoy the Choice :) 

I have Ubuntu, and I use Wine to run them. The only one that really gave me some problems was Icewind Dale 2, I had to edit Wine's registry in order to make it work.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Well… I can only say one thing: you NERD weirdos!

I never imagined feeling so part of a community like this.

My childhood and adolescence were marked mainly by rolling dices playing "Vampire, the Masquerade" and "Werewolf, the Apocalypse" - among other themes of the White Wolf franchise ... BUT I had countless - and equally tireless - nights unraveling puzzles, looking for rare and ancient artifacts, saving maidens and creating alliances and pacts with Kings and Dragons in D&D.

For years I dedicated my life to work and I kind of left games and fun aside (not least because I didn't try to transform my setup - which has been Linux since 2001 - into something that allows more popular games). As I said on another occasion, I rediscovered 0 a.d. looking for games for my children that were not just to pass the time - something that involves reasoning, logic, strategy and not just point and click shooting junk - and this has been my greatest fun ever since.

Just before the COV-pandemic started we played a lot of board games here at home - a lot adapted to a simplified format (closer to 3D & T, even to make it easier for them to understand the mechanics behind the theater and the games). My kids are 6 and 8 years old and today and in addition to 0ad, we play Zumbicide, Catan, War… And of course we have an ongoing D&D campaign (:

Sometimes with my girl we play the ponies mod, but as there is no consensus here at home, we usually stay in the traditional version - although we are debating about creating a mod with the things they like (supernatural, fanciful things, those things that children and adults with exacerbated creativity).

Farewell, my dear fellow.

• Like 1