Addition of Han Chinese to 0AD

2 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

image.png.5e1efe2d9c5ece8a8f3dffe0f7ef969e.png

I made a sketch of what the composition should look like with the helmet.

Are you using MakeHuman? You can download some clothes and armor made by the community with the MakeHuman application. I think there are some helmets, right @Loki1950?

10 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

was trying mixing both techniques, we could definitely have better results in complicated cases.

estaba probando mezclar ambas técnicas, definitivamente podríamos tener mejores resultados en casos complicados.

You can import the drawing as a texture in Blender, and that will make it more 3D. For example, use two planes for the eyes, and you can texture them with the eyes from the drawing.

For this to work better, it's best to draw and paint the face from the front view, and optionally from the sides as well. Doing this with a 3/4 view is trickier, but it can be done. Here I've done a quick example in just a few minutes, so it doesn't look great, but if you put in more time, the texture will look smoother than what I did.

257051402_Screenshotfrom2021-05-0523-54-31.thumb.png.63f678f23a16ee53b43ba2a610702a9c.png

example_2.zip

Edited by m7600
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, m7600 said:

For the helmet it's the same technique. Make it in 2D, front view, and then apply it as a texture to the 3D model.

The design you sent looks pretty good, I'll look at it carefully tomorrow.

I need to research the helmets, even by dynasties, I don't know much about Chinese culture or the evolution of metallurgy in their military equipment.

@m7600

On 01/05/2021 at 3:20 PM, hyperion said:
  • The idea of a central command tower in the original was actually good just oversized me thinks.

What I meant with a central command tower was basically an elevated platform from where you can see all the walls, so a commander can direct the defence from there with a few assistants waving flags which doesn't work with your approach. Anyway the last prototype looks great albeit more like a palace than a fort :)

As for the texture colour, unlike in the west yellow is the colour associated with earth, so it's ok to assume yellowish earth to be rather dominant over there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Maybe it would be better to implemented new civs only in mods, as the multiplayer community seems to have no need for new civs? Singleplayer-oriented players can play mods, they don't need to be in synch with the multiplayer community. Multiplayers do.

Even better outsource 12 of the existing civs so no one can complain about balancing anymore and development efforts can be spent on more important stuff!

Seriously, han should be added. First to show appreciation for the work done, then for easier maintenance, lastly there is a rather large (potential) user base which has a much closer connection to han than any civ already in game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Maybe it would be better to implemented new civs only in mods, as the multiplayer community seems to have no need for new civs? Singleplayer-oriented players can play mods, they don't need to be in synch with the multiplayer community. Multiplayers do.

We want more diversity in the lobby as well! Right now we have pretty much figured out every single plausible strategy for every civ. There had been no new civs since A23. 

The problem is singleplayer is too easy and boring after some time. The AI Petra Bot never uses any interesting strategies and you can predict their behaviour after a few matches. The Chinese allows for weird strategies, just like Mace and Kush. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've worked on some other models (other civs) that didn't get added to the game, and I'm cool with that. If they're not good enough either from a historical or artistic point of view, then I'll just have to get better. I think it's fun to add new civs. You can always remove them in a later alpha or patch if they seriously break the game, but I don't think they will.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

The problem is singleplayer is too easy and boring after some time. The AI Petra Bot never uses any interesting strategies and you can predict their behaviour after a few matches. The Chinese allows for weird strategies, just like Mace and Kush. 

And not everyone plays this game simply for the sake of power gaming or number crunching. Some of us just like to build pretty cities in sandbox mode, or in the Atlas Editor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, m7600 said:

And not everyone plays this game simply for the sake of power gaming or number crunching. Some of us just like to build pretty cities in sandbox mode, or in the Atlas Editor.

Of course. When I first started I also enjoyed building pretty cities. But eventually bloodlust took over and high K/D ratio became my pursuit. Your mind will be changed as soon as you join the multiplayer lobby. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Of course. When I first started I also enjoyed building pretty cities. But eventually bloodlust took over and high K/D ratio became my pursuit. Your mind will be changed as soon as you join the multiplayer lobby. 

I have an account at the lobby, and sometimes I join just to see what people are talking about. I'm proud to say that I've never played a multiplayer game of 0 AD, and I intend to keep it that way (because it amuses me to have a multiplayer account and no games played). I prefer to spend my free time making 3D models for the game. But that's what's great about this project, you have a variety of options that cater to different tastes: you can be a lobby player, or a developer, or a city builder in Atlas, or a 2D/3D artist, etc.

I prefer to get my multiplayer experiences elsewhere, such as tabletop Dungeons and Dragons, or video game RPGs.

RTS games in general are not really my cup of tea for multiplayer experiences, but I like to make art for them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

There are many fans who want to see a faction from their homeland in the game. 

I am not Chinese but I still want to see them because there were arguably one of the most powerful civilisations back then and still is now. There was a story of Persian kings importing made in China arrows which penetrated Roman shields easily.

• Like 2