Addition of Han Chinese to 0AD

34 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Of course. And then we (or I in that matter) will have to teach them and then you get at the point where it's tempting to do everything yourself because you know you're gonna be there tomorrow and it might faster to do things yourself. I hate doing that and I I believe mistakes are good for learning.  But sometimes it backfires :) 

Of course contributors are more of an investment than getting things done quickly. Experienced opensource coders are not the norm. But there is no need for hand holding either, which you tend to fall into all to quickly. :)

11 hours ago, ymming said:

The application would more be like tomahawk.

This is good. Maybe a uniqueish Han trait is their throwy boys are a little shorter range but their archyboys are a little longer range thanks to crossbows.

It appears they definitely lacked slings though. Even the literal slingers.com forums couldn't fine pre 900AD sling.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

you get at the point where it's tempting to do everything yourself

The perks of maintaining an open source project :D But the teaching aspect is very good for building a community.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

You need someone with the committment to test. It might take months before that happen. Which can be fine, but also an extremely confusing / frustrating experience.

True I guess.

If I may add this: All your very helping hands were right from the beginning when I joined and still are so encouraging for me to dig deeper. I know that I belong to the very slow guys, but if I can add just a tiny bit and learn something (and I do), I am very happy and thankful. Cheers! :)

• Like 1

About the rice again:

On 02/07/2020 at 2:33 PM, Stan` said:

Another attempt

2.JPG

From my point of view, this could be a middle ground between the extreme square rice fields that are currently left in the han mod and the eyecandy round ones (Although the eyecandy ones would still be my first choice).

And I guess one could also make this design adaptive to the terrain as it is also comprised out of smaller units.

But I would still like the rice to be a little less perfect grid like and the dividing lines a bit less straight.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, maroder said:

From my point of view, this could be a middle ground between the extreme square rice fields that are currently left in the han mod and the eyecandy round ones

The square ones look like rice fields to me, the eyecandy version to me looks more like fish farming ponds designed by Botta.

And gravity will always be an issue, maybe restrict rice fields to flat terrain as a malus?

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

fish farming ponds

That would be another option to use those models :D

the Chinese did use some freshwater fish farming back then.

http://www.fao.org/3/y4762e/y4762e04.htm

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

maybe restrict rice fields to flat terrain as a malus?

I don't think the engine is able to do that.

But as I wrote, the can be made adaptive to the terrain since the are made up from smaller pieces.

Edited by maroder
Added link

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Update to mod on github: I fixed the deepfreeze error. Someone added this line to the template files of infantry units:

<Entity parent="civ/han|template_unit_infantry_melee_spearman">

This is NOT CORRECT!

It should be 

<Entity parent="template_unit_infantry_melee_spearman">

The reason is, there is no directory civ/han before simulation/templates/unit/

19 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

I have fixed the mod. @Stan` waiting for your permission to commit the patch. Should I do it on phab?

The syntax

is valid. In that case civ/han is a mixin, in other terms it's a partial template. We have to understand why we added it in the first place before removing it. Maybe the person who added it wanted Han units to have common properties.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Update to mod on github: I fixed the deepfreeze error. Someone added this line to the template files of infantry units:

This is NOT CORRECT!

It should be 

<Entity parent="template_unit_infantry_melee_spearman">

The reason is, there is no directory civ/han before simulation/templates/unit/

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

The syntax

is valid. In that case civ/han is a mixin, in other terms it's a partial template. We have to understand why we added it in the first place before removing it. Maybe the person who added it wanted Han units to have common properties.

It's so easy to verify this, I'm shocked that neither of you bothered to look into it.

This is the mixin: 

han_china\simulation\templates\mixins\civ\han.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Entity>
  <Builder merge="">
    <Entities datatype="tokens">
      structures/{civ}/imperial_court
      structures/{civ}/imperial_ministry
      structures/{civ}/great_tower
      structures/{civ}/laozigate
      -structures/wallset_palisade
      structures/{civ}/wallset_earth
    </Entities>
  </Builder>
  <Identity>
    <Civ>han</Civ>
  </Identity>
</Entity>

It was a way to add the other structures to their build list with less duplication. I did not make this mixin. I bypass all of that in DE with 1 simple master build list (I have no idea why the main game doesn't do this, but *shrug*).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wackyserious said:

We could make something new for them too

As long as there are good references. :D 

Though, there is some chatter that there are too many texture variants already, harming actor recognition (and graphics memory). Some more hero textures would certainly be welcome though, I'm sure.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...