Addition of Han Chinese to 0AD

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Right, probably a better comparison. Can be thrown like a tomahawk or hatchet.

Could solve the missing jav problem. I'm a bit afraid hans will have to completely botched down to fit the meta :/

55 minutes ago, maroder said:

There is still the farming animation missing for the soldiers.

What?

47 minutes ago, Stan` said:

But I shouldn't.

Nah, that's a good trait, you should. But that's no reason not to have a system that can minimize possible mistakes.

But yes some kind of micromanagement is always necessary I guess. Possibly something you could delegate? I.e some form of community reviews.

4 hours ago, Stan` said:

Well yeah. I tend to trust people. But I shouldn't. I hoped stuff could work without micromanagement.

Trusting people to try their best is certainly good. Trusting people are born fully fledged coders and knowledgeable of the ins and outs of the project is bound to not work.

The first thing about git is branches are very cheap, commits are very cheap. To test or review I don't need anything committed to master to reduce workload, so there is no need to commit anything to master either.

At one point you will have to look at what was done either way, so commits to master can't reduce your workload only increase it unless you don't care about the master branch in the first place.

Anyway good to run into such issues now, so you can ponder a workflow for in case of migration.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

Find me the people and I'm down :D 

I know, easier said than done. But I think in the case of this mod (without custom code), everybody who wants the Han included or who already contributed qualifies.

It's more about getting a more "formal" system to not only commit stuff, but also review the stuff other people committed, before it gets included. Even if its not a full review, but just play-testing, this will decrease the amount of bugs that can be introduced.

Cause without a more formal system you find bugs only by accident.

An of course when talking about the complete git migration, there has to be a different workflow and completely different level and quality of reviews.

Edited by maroder

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

Anyway good to run into such issues now, so you can ponder a workflow for in case of migration.

Indeed it's nice to run into it now, however the bar for mods has always been lower than the main game. 

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

Trusting people to try their best is certainly good. Trusting people are born fully fledged coders and knowledgeable of the ins and outs of the project is bound to not work.

Of course. And then we (or I in that matter) will have to teach them and then you get at the point where it's tempting to do everything yourself because you know you're gonna be there tomorrow and it might faster to do things yourself. I hate doing that and I I believe mistakes are good for learning.  But sometimes it backfires :) 

1 hour ago, maroder said:

It's more about getting a more "formal" system to not only commit stuff, but also review the stuff other people committed, before it gets included. Even if its not a full review, but just play-testing, this will decrease the amount of bugs that can be introduced.

You need someone with the committment to test. It might take months before that happen. Which can be fine, but also an extremely confusing / frustrating experience.