Addition of Han Chinese to 0AD

1 minute ago, m7600 said:

And not everyone plays this game simply for the sake of power gaming or number crunching. Some of us just like to build pretty cities in sandbox mode, or in the Atlas Editor.

Of course. When I first started I also enjoyed building pretty cities. But eventually bloodlust took over and high K/D ratio became my pursuit. Your mind will be changed as soon as you join the multiplayer lobby. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

There are many fans who want to see a faction from their homeland in the game. 

I am not Chinese but I still want to see them because there were arguably one of the most powerful civilisations back then and still is now. There was a story of Persian kings importing made in China arrows which penetrated Roman shields easily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

The problem is singleplayer is too easy and boring after some time. The AI Petra Bot never uses any interesting strategies and you can predict their behaviour after a few matches. The Chinese allows for weird strategies, just like Mace and Kush. 

If the AI is totally predictable after only a few matches, adding another civ ain't gonna help you with that...

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed most of the technical bugs. First proper game of Chinese against very hard Persian AI:

image.thumb.png.504a348501613baef214d5dae5685783.png

What can I say apart from exclaiming "China OP!" ? The Persian bot rushed me twice, the first one caught me out a bit but the second rush they ran straight into my fortress and my group of 60 infantry cutting wood. 

Softcore bugs found:

1. Unlock champion infantry tech is misplaced; the barracks can train champion infantry by default when you reach phase 3, but the fortress requires a tech. In A24 or later this shouldn't happen right? 

2. You need the unlock champion cavalry tech in order to train from fortress. But, this tech can only be researched from the stable. This confused me quite a bit. 

Overall impressions:

Strengths:

1. Population cap bonus paired with archers

2. Ministers help with resource gathering, and the techs are good.

3. Strong heroes.

4. Good variety of infantry and cavalry

5. Mangonels are so strong and shoot so far!

6. Oxybeles without packing is convenient.

Weaknesses:

1. No rams or elephant. A little slow to siege. 

2. No amazing eco bonuses in early phase.  

Just now, Lion.Kanzen said:

What have you done with them

He gave them incompetent siege. in DE even archers do a better job than the bolt shooters. Their siege towers are a joke in DE. I took out a fortress with a few spearmen but 5 bolt shooters and 3 siege towers cannot make a dent in anything.

• Haha 2