Addition of Han Chinese to 0AD

28 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

We don't know what he actually looks like but this should look good for our purpose. We can basically use this portrait as the thumbnail in the game. 

We can't because that image is not free. :)

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Stan` Can you use your art skills to draw the thumbnails? I can give you some pictures of modern actors playing these historical characters as a reference:

Han Xin:

Political ability of Han Xin after all how? These 3 bagatelle can see -  粉丝服务(fensifuwu.com)

Liu Bang:

刘邦怎么死的_揭秘刘邦死因真相_找历史网

Wei Qing:

http://5b0988e595225.cdn.sohucs.com/images/20190119/9f72141ce1174dcd81779fe8af6eb1f3.jpeg

http://5b0988e595225.cdn.sohucs.com/images/20190119/9f72141ce1174dcd81779fe8af6eb1f3.jpeg

Wei qing:

历史上卫青的评价怎么样?为什么卫青在历史上的评价不高? - 历史趣闻网

1 minute ago, Yekaterina said:

No problem stan, we could use the models you made.

To be honest the looks of the heroes are not important because nobody knows what they actually look like. The important bit is their auras and balancing. 

Again, not in my skillset :P But it's now in yours, so make me proud.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, m7600 said:

For the helmet it's the same technique. Make it in 2D, front view, and then apply it as a texture to the 3D model.

The design you sent looks pretty good, I'll look at it carefully tomorrow.

I need to research the helmets, even by dynasties, I don't know much about Chinese culture or the evolution of metallurgy in their military equipment.

@m7600

On 01/05/2021 at 3:20 PM, hyperion said:
  • The idea of a central command tower in the original was actually good just oversized me thinks.

What I meant with a central command tower was basically an elevated platform from where you can see all the walls, so a commander can direct the defence from there with a few assistants waving flags which doesn't work with your approach. Anyway the last prototype looks great albeit more like a palace than a fort :)

As for the texture colour, unlike in the west yellow is the colour associated with earth, so it's ok to assume yellowish earth to be rather dominant over there.

3 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Maybe it would be better to implemented new civs only in mods, as the multiplayer community seems to have no need for new civs? Singleplayer-oriented players can play mods, they don't need to be in synch with the multiplayer community. Multiplayers do.

Even better outsource 12 of the existing civs so no one can complain about balancing anymore and development efforts can be spent on more important stuff!

Seriously, han should be added. First to show appreciation for the work done, then for easier maintenance, lastly there is a rather large (potential) user base which has a much closer connection to han than any civ already in game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Maybe it would be better to implemented new civs only in mods, as the multiplayer community seems to have no need for new civs? Singleplayer-oriented players can play mods, they don't need to be in synch with the multiplayer community. Multiplayers do.

We want more diversity in the lobby as well! Right now we have pretty much figured out every single plausible strategy for every civ. There had been no new civs since A23. 

The problem is singleplayer is too easy and boring after some time. The AI Petra Bot never uses any interesting strategies and you can predict their behaviour after a few matches. The Chinese allows for weird strategies, just like Mace and Kush. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1