Addition of Han Chinese to 0AD

12 hours ago, m7600 said:

Meanwhile, what do you think of this work in progress for the new version of the fortress? I think it sucks. @Stan`  made some really awesome buildings for the Han and I'm just butchering them.

Screenshot from 2021-04-29 15-17-19.png

There are several points that can be made.

• If it's rammed earth, there is no greenish stone stripe at the bottom as decoration
  • Walls usually don't have roofs, except for lookouts which are meant to be always manned as roofs get into the way as well as are a risk by themself.
  • The inner side of rammed earth wall is still rammed earth
  • The idea of a central command tower in the original was actually good just oversized me thinks.
  • The crenelations slits are of different size and some to small limiting the angle to shoot through, although if you are supposed to shoot over it (depending on height) the slits only makes it more fragile.
  • Leaving out the protection of crenelations right above the gate where you'd think it's the most important is questionable.

About sucking, well I don't thinks so.

10 hours ago, m7600 said:

Does this wall make sense?

Screenshot from 2021-04-30 19-27-34.png

• The coloured stripes seem rather off
  • The green stripe is supposed to be a stone layer, with that there is a material issue on the top of the step
  • The step doesn't make sense in the first place and increases footprint
  • The water spouts feel completely out of place
  • While fine the inclination of the wall could be made a bit steeper to reduce footprint
  • rammed earth should probably have a more yellowish tint

3 hours ago, m7600 said:

han_struct_02.png

I think the rammed earth section in the bottom right should be closer in color to the plaster texture in the upper right. 

3 hours ago, m7600 said:

Screenshot from 2021-05-01 12-56-16.png

The 3rd super tower could be another special building for them. Perhaps a build limit of 2 or 3 in City Phase, and uncapturable (gotta destroy it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The 3rd super tower could be another special building for them. Perhaps a build limit of 2 or 3 in City Phase, and uncapturable (gotta destroy it).

Correction: I will add this tower as a special building for them in Delenda Est. It's up to y'all if it's added to the EA version of the Han. ;) 

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

Halfway would be something like this:

578124429_Screenshotfrom2021-05-0117-05-51.thumb.png.3c7d629a79022515753a5668c9827ef6.png

BTW good call on changing the texture color to look more like the plaster section.

Great work! I really like this version. It is still sad that the original brick texture needed to go, but this looks also nice.

Hi everybody! Is there a way to insert some standard type of "dirt and color darkening" layer into the bases of the constructions present in the game, in order to give more visual realism? I mean, just like here...

image.png

6 hours ago, Sturm said:

Hi everybody! Is there a way to insert some standard type of "dirt and color darkening" layer into the bases of the constructions present in the game, in order to give more visual realism? I mean, just like here...

image.png

Nope. Well you could by tweaking the shaders do some stuff but easily no.

Or one needs to add another prop around the base of all buildings.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, m7600 said:

You know what I really miss from version 2.7? Edge Rendering, using the "Edge" checkbox in the Postprocessing tab. It's what I used for the lineart of the Kushite buildings. I don't know why they removed that feature. It was way faster than Freestyle, and in some cases it gave better results. I wish they could bring Edge Rendering back.

A simple and easy AO bake as it existed until 2.79 would be good too.:unsure:

7 hours ago, m7600 said:

Yeah, I agree. Baking textures in the new versions has a lot of weird steps. You have to add a material, and then add an image texture node, but the node has to be disconnected, but you also have to select it, or you get a "circular dependency" error when you bake. As a method, it works, but it doesn't make any sense from a practical point of view.

That's why I made my material :)

• Like 1