Is it possible to run 0 A.D. in a "server-mode"? Or otherwise consuming less resources when only hosting?

Hello!

I have a laptop here, which currently hosts a game for 2 kids, who play on 2 mini PCs (LAN). ;) I thought that maybe using the laptop as host has some advantage to using one of the 2 mini PCs as host, but its fan is constantly at maximum speed. :o So maybe it was not such a good idea. :blush:

Is it possible to run 0 A.D. in a "server-mode" only, i.e. consuming less resources on the device than compared to when playing on the device itself? Or is it simply enough to put all gfx to a minimum on the server and let it run (e.g. in windowed mode) in the background? I am not talking about a "headless" mode, as I assume the server needs the GUI to select all the necessary game settings. But maybe it would be helpful if in a "server-mode" at least gfx (and audio) stuff could be (temporarily, i.e. while the game continues?) switched off, when gfx (and audio) are not needed on the server. Sorry, if this does not make sense to you at all. Maybe I'm creating something up without a need. :blush:

A way to ease the load on the laptop is:

1. Host a game, but let the host laptop be a spec

2. When the match starts, turn all graphics settings on the laptop to minimum, then choose one of the player's perspective. 

The idea is normal observer/overload perspective allows you to see every detail on the map, which increases load. If you switch to a player's mode, you only need to render what that player can see. This would only require the laptop to render a small portion of the map, hence the load is smaller. 

Even better: add an unassigned player and switch to that perspective. The unassigned player will never explore or expand so its field of view would be limited to just the starting cc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both - great hints! :) I assume that the spectating player should be non-KI and the starting figures should be set to passive or hold, right? (else, they might interfere with the real players?)

@Stan`

Could you please consider adding these hints in the Wiki? If I was allowed doing so, I would be happy to take this task. ;)

Edited by Ceres

How about there? https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/FAQ#BasicTroubleshooting

Issue: When hosting a game, the PC/laptop can barely cope with the required technical prerequisites, leading to game lag.

Possible solution:

1 hour ago, Yekaterina said:

A way to ease the load on the laptop is:

1. Host a game, but let the host laptop be a spec

2. When the match starts, turn all graphics settings on the laptop to minimum, then choose one of the player's perspective. 

The idea is normal observer/overload perspective allows you to see every detail on the map, which increases load. If you switch to a player's mode, you only need to render what that player can see. This would only require the laptop to render a small portion of the map, hence the load is smaller. 

Even better: add an unassigned player and switch to that perspective. The unassigned player will never explore or expand so its field of view would be limited to just the starting cc. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Done. :)

Great, there are not many users who edit wiki pages, I'm glad you did.

Note:

(1) Adding a small comment makes it easier to check what has been changed.

1044818771_Screenshot2021-04-20at13_55_04.thumb.jpg.4e2601358e3c0f99c9dcd0ba0f80f8e3.jpg

(2) I have used the date format (DD/Mon/YY) throughout the page, we should keep it consistent

1092972309_Screenshot2021-04-20at13_57_40.thumb.jpg.687169b986314d00778d7640dd219585.jpg

• Thanks 1