What happened to the Stoa structure of the Spartans civ?

Altffenser

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but not in the game and that is why I felt that something was missing ... And the truth is that there are many changes from the immediate previous version to the recent one. Playing with the Spartans (my favorite civilization: D) I realize that the Stoa building no longer exists. Could someone tell me why the reason for disappearing it? I loved the variety of units on that Civ.

Thanks!

• Like 2

The stoa was generally used for commercial activities, something that Spartans were known to disdain.  Furthermore, doing a quick search for all examples of stoas on Wikipedia lists no Spartan one (That's not definitive of course, and anyone can list a case of a Spartan Stoa, I would appreciate it..).

Edited by Thorfinn the Shallow Minded
  • Thanks 2

Pausanias makes mention of the "Persian Stoa" in the Spartan agora. Called "Persian" because its construction was financed through spoils from the Greco-Persian War. When it as built, I am sure it was quite simple, similar to the "Painted Stoa" in the Athenian agora, but by the time of Pausanias the stoa had been embellished and enlarged many times so that it was covered with statues depicting the famous characters from that war. 

Also, the remains of a stoa from Archaic times was excavated in the Spartan agora during the 1924-1925 season by the British School of Athens. A Roman building was later built over part of it, but apparently the original size and shape is known.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

I stand corrected.  That all said, just because a building existed does not make it a worthwhile part of a building roster.  Undoubtedly people in the ancient world had latrines, but for some reason they are not represented.  

As it seems, the Stoa was removed for even more pertinent factions like Athens, but having a structure that served social functions and was the main meeting place for philosophers serve as a training ground for mercenaries does seem a bit odd.  That was an underlying piece of logic behind its removal.

Also Spartans can build multiple mess halls, so I don't see where the point about them being able to build from only one building comes from.

That all said, I have mentioned before and point out now that Sparta could theoretically be able to build mess halls in the town phase or even the village phase to make champions a more staple part of their unit compositions.