Paper Frogs

This isn't the best picture...

frogssmaller.jpg

The small group of frogs in the center with one in the front are the Norwegian frogs. To the left (our left), is the Canadian frog team, and on the very left the Turkish frog team. On the right of the Norwegian frogs, in the front rank, ten frogs across is the Swedish team. The frogs behind each Swedish frog currently lack nationality (I don't think I will ever given them one). Behind the Swedish Frogs and Blank frogs are the Australian Frogs. Behind the Australian frogs are my mini frogs. To the left (again, our left) of the Australian Frogs are the Swiss frogs, and to the left (for the last time, our left), the frogs of old, my first paper frogs.

Check here later for more information on how to fold paper frogs and paper frog wars.

I want to "war" them because "warring" them is fun. I did a count, the number of frogs I lined up in that picture totals to 186.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

More information:

One may wonder what inspired me to spend hours upon hours cutting squares, and folding frogs the size of a penny. The most simple way to put the reason for that would be competition, and pride in the work. Me and my friend, this will have been my sixth year knowing him, have been folding paper frogs since grade 4, when I met him. He brought some frogs to school, and I caught on using a method I saw in an origami method (which was different from the folding method he used to fold frogs). We eventually devloped "Froggy Wars", and through this, the competitive spirit to fold more frogs.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Froggy Wars: Introduction

Froggy wars can be considered to be fairly basic. We set our frogs up within a flat area that is designated, and take turns making one frog jump at a time. The object of the game is to hit an enemy frog with the frog you're jumping. When an enemy frog has been hit, it is removed from the game. Usually we play until only one person has frogs left, or until someone has figured out they have no chance of winning.

Later I'll introduce some of the finer details of froggy wars.

• 10 months later...

I haven't made a post here in a while, though I haven't completely left. I scanned in some old pictures of my frogs.

frogs01.png

Seen here on the left is the Turkish team, the Canadian team on the right, and an older team without any nationality in the rear centre, and the Swiss team on the rear right. Strewn about are the Swiss Guards, folded in my friend's style.

frogs05.png

Swiss team in the rear left, and Swiss Guards strewn about as with the above photo. Norwegian team on the left, Swedish team in a line on the right, with some generic frogs behind. Behind those are the Australian frogs, and some particularly tiny frogs are behind those.

Some more shots with all the frogs:

frogs03.png

frogs02.png

frogs04.png

I finally got to making a step-by-step instruction on the art of paper frog folding. Almost all of it came from memory, and a mere glance at a frog was enough to make me remember what I forgot. Strange, I haven't folded a frog in ages ;)

First, here are all the steps for making frogs. Don't worry, I'll tell you what they show.

frogfold.GIF

1. Take a square piece of paper, and fold it in half. As you can see, dotted lines represent folds.

2. Fold diagonal creases on the top side of your newly created rectangle.

3. This is a tricky step to illustrate, and just as hard to explain. First, create a crease halfway across the top half of your rectangle. Now, bring in each end of that crease, using the diagonals from the last step, so that the ends of the crease touch the very centre of your rectangle. You should have a triangle on top of a square, as in step 4.

4. Create front legs for your frog by folding the tips of the triangle upwards. Don't rip the whole triangle, just the part that is above the main body.

5. Fold the bottom half of the square upwards.

6. Fold each side inwards, not folding the front legs, only the area of paper underneath them.

7. Fold the bottom half of the square upwards.

8. Even trickier part, even harder to illustrate. You'll have to use that brain, in coordination with my visual aid, to reach step 9. Fold the tips, that are touching the centre, outwards (a), making sure that you make diagonals (:P as shown. For the love of frogs, please don't resort to ripping anything.

9. You have created the rear legs. Fold them downwards.

10. Fold them upwards again. This simply adds more depth and thickness to the legs, which is important in making the frogs jump.

11. It also looks nicer.

12. Flip frog over.

13. The lower crease goes in, the upper crease goes over. This is a particularly important part, but it takes practise to know the right way to do it. What this does is create the spring that allows your frog to jump.

14. You're done! If your frog in no way resembles this, re-read instructions, then post about how my instructions make absolutely no sense.

Pictures of a British team, which will soon be in the works, and potentially an Icelandic team, will be coming in the near future.