Auto-Queue for 0 A.D

azayrahmad

8 hours ago, nani said:

@azayrahmad could you tell what lines were added in the github repo, hard to see without being able to diff with the original.

I'm sorry, turns out I forgot to push the latest commit to GitHub. Please take a look at the latest commit to check at the diffs. For unit_actions.js check the two latest entries in g_EntityCommands.

9 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Honestly this is a quality-of-life option that should make the game less micro-intensive, one core value that 0 A.D. aspired for.  

Honestly I just don't like the feature. If anything, it's something else you have to manage to prevent your eco from drying up at crucial moments. 

• Like 1

Not really a fan of the feature either, i get the "reduce micro" mentality (although i dont support it), but i feel like there should be limits. This is just another way of dumbing down gameplay. Multiplayer is about skills and organizing/micro is a part of that when it comes to RTS. However, since manual batch training is still considerably better im not really against it personally, but only if the tool is available to everyone in the base game and the autotraining is not able to autotrain batches of units, only singles.

I still like the effort you put in though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

Multiplayer is about skills and organizing/micro is a part of that when it comes to RTS

Keep in mind that not everybody plays multiplayer :)

Personally I would also be happy if the skills to be good at micro would be replaced by the skill to deploy different macro strategies and to plan ahead. Which is of course only possible if there are enough interesting macro strategies to choose from.

5 minutes ago, Nescio said:

It would make using the corrals to raise animals to butcher for food considerably easier.

That can considerably backfire by having a players food disappear at a time where unit production is crucial. It can be compared to auto farm reseed from AoE2, which is only used in the late-game by high level players as it can eat up wood right when it's required for important buildings, siege.

1 hour ago, Grapjas said:

Not really a fan of the feature either, i get the "reduce micro" mentality (although i dont support it), but i feel like there should be limits. This is just another way of dumbing down gameplay. Multiplayer is about skills and organizing/micro is a part of that when it comes to RTS. However, since manual batch training is still considerably better im not really against it personally, but only if the tool is available to everyone in the base game and the autotraining is not able to autotrain batches of units, only singles.

Thing is, this kind of feature would reward good macro, assigning workers in such a way to sustain constant production.  As ValihrAnt noted, even the corral option has a major liability that this feature would help with players who meticulously have calculated their production and consumption; if you've ever tried sustaining a corral economy while actively attacking an opponent, I can assure you that having to cycle through the corrals is a frustrating distraction.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Thing is, this kind of feature would reward good macro

7 hours ago, Grapjas said:

However, since manual batch training is still considerably better im not really against it personally

EDIT: also, if everyone will start using corrals because of this new option, the game will lagg much worst then before. 

Edited by Grapjas

On 16/04/2021 at 7:24 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't mind having auto-queue, but keep in mind that it was introduced once, and then abandoned for almost 20 years now for some reason. ;)

I've searched the forums extensively today, but I couldn't really find any discussion regarding that. Only the occasional comment stating (dis)liking the feature.
Do you happen to have a pointer where I can find these discussions?

8 hours ago, Freagarach said:

I've searched the forums extensively today, but I couldn't really find any discussion regarding that. Only the occasional comment stating (dis)liking the feature.
Do you happen to have a pointer where I can find these discussions?

I meant it was introduced in Age of Mythology, and then abandoned by the Age franchise. :) 

• Thanks 1