0 A.D. 0.0.24b-alpha crashes under Windows 10

Ceres

8 minutes ago, Ceres said:

In VS 2017, I selected 'Release' and 'Win32', but I see that instead of 'Win32' I could also set a new environment for 64bit. Is it possible and does it make sense to build for 64bit?

It's possible and ir could make sense however you're gonna have to rebuild a lot more things than just the game.

• Thanks 1

I cannot execute 'update-workspaces.sh' when bisecting:

master@HP-PC MINGW64 ~/Documents/0AD/0ad (master)
$ git bisect start --term-old broken --term-new fixed

master@HP-PC MINGW64 ~/Documents/0AD/0ad (master|BISECTING)
$ git bisect fixed master

master@HP-PC MINGW64 ~/Documents/0AD/0ad (master|BISECTING)
$ git bisect broken A24b
Bisecting: 1308 revisions left to test after this (roughly 10 steps)
[ab3f99641ef65f471886987a102adfa8793032f6] Merge 'remotes/trunk'

master@HP-PC MINGW64 ~/Documents/0AD/0ad ((ab3f99641e...)|BISECTING)
$ cd build/workspaces/

master@HP-PC MINGW64 ~/Documents/0AD/0ad/build/workspaces ((ab3f99641e...)|BISECTING)
$ ./update-workspaces.sh
Updating bundled third-party dependencies...

./update-workspaces.sh: line 85: make: command not found
ERROR: FCollada build failed

master@HP-PC MINGW64 ~/Documents/0AD/0ad/build/workspaces ((ab3f99641e...)|BISECTING)

What am I doing wrong?

Building does not work either:

1>------ Build started: Project: Collada, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: atlas, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>------ Build started: Project: engine, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
4>------ Build started: Project: graphics, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
3>precompiled.cpp
3>Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results
1>precompiled.cpp
1>c:\users\master\documents\0ad\0ad\libraries\source\fcollada\include\fmath\fmvector3.h(107): warning C4458: declaration of 'x' hides class member

I do not understand why VS now tells me that the compiler version is unknown, when 10 minutes ago (starting from scratch and cloning the latest 0 A.D. version from GitHub), building was fine (and the game also worked).

What does bisect do with regard to the compiler version?

1.png

Edited by Ceres

There are 411 steps between 'pyrogenesis_25349.exe' and 'pyrogenesis_24938.exe' (I renamed them like this after DL).

Is it appropriate to halve this and go down from 25349 by 205 to 25144 and then (if it still works) again halve this and go down by 205 to 24939, etc. (roughly)?

PS:

How I can see only auto-built pyrogenesis.exe files in Trac between 24938 and 25356?

Edited by Ceres

21 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Is it appropriate to halve this and go down from 25349 by 205 to 25144 and then (if it still works) again halve this and go down by 205 to 24939, etc. (roughly)?

I suppose yeah as long as it works enough for the game to crash

22 minutes ago, Ceres said:

How I can see only auto-built pyrogenesis.exe files in Trac between 24938 and 25356?

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/log/ps/trunk/binaries/system/pyrogenesis.exe?rev=25356

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, even the latest autobuilt game crashes on the PC when GLSL is enabled, i.e. simply replacing 'pyrogenesis.exe' does not seem to be a solution to find out which version is the last one that crashes and which is the first one that does not crash anymore. Could it be that some other files are the "culprit", so I have to test them all (i.e. the full set, respectively)?

Edited by Ceres

22 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Unfortunately, even the latest autobuilt game crashes on the PC when GLSL is enabled, i.e. simply replacing 'pyrogenesis.exe' does not seem to be a solution to find out which version is the last one that crashes and which is the first one that does not crash anymore. Could it be that some other files are the "culprit", so I have to test them all (i.e. the full set, respectively)?

Well that means compiling is a dead end and its one of the files in binaries/data/mods/public/shaders. Or possibly a combination of both.

If you could install svn on the guilty machine you would'nt have to compile at all.

• Thanks 1

If I see it right, I have to extract these and test the game each time:

changeset_ps_trunk_binaries_data_mods_public_shaders_24777.zip
changeset_ps_trunk_binaries_data_mods_public_shaders_25018.zip
changeset_ps_trunk_binaries_data_mods_public_shaders_25114.zip
changeset_ps_trunk_binaries_data_mods_public_shaders_25118.zip
changeset_ps_trunk_binaries_data_mods_public_shaders_25271.zip
changeset_ps_trunk_binaries_data_mods_public_shaders_25283.zip
changeset_ps_trunk_binaries_data_mods_public_shaders_25285.zip

Will have lunch now, though. ;)

Edited by Ceres

Is it possible for testing purposes to have public.zip extracted when running pyrogenesis.exe? I ask because public.zip is always repacked when I replace files by earlier changesets. Or shall I use "pack-only" without compression? Would that work?

What shall I say? Believe it or not, but now the last auto-built version works also on that PC with GLSL enabled. This drives me crazy. :crazy: I have not changed anything about the game. The PC windows resolution is also the same etc. I feel really embarassed that I have stolen your precious time for replying so kindly and patiently to my many questions. :blush: Even more I want to express my sincerest thanks for your help. And I have not yet given up, because I have already learnt a lot, want to give something back to the community, and also because I am really curious to find out what in fact was the problem. And as it happens sometimes, maybe the problem returns, and then I shall have made some progress at least in better understanding git, trac, etc. :)

1 minute ago, Ceres said:

Sorry, this was not correct, I guess. I meant the latest available exe file for download on the play0ad website.

Can you try the other options to see if you can reproduce the crash?

It's also possible that your driver got updated ?

Hm, yes, there was a driver update from Intel. I will look into this and also about the other options. Don't get me wrong - I will still post here in this thread and let you know what I found. Just for today, I would like to call it a day. Have a nice evening!

4 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Hm, yes, there was a driver update from Intel. I will look into this and also about the other options. Don't get me wrong - I will still post here in this thread and let you know what I found. Just for today, I would like to call it a day. Have a nice evening!

Sure thank you so far :)

Well, it still works with GLSL enabled and even with all the other gfx options enabled and set to the maximum, except for the fps limit, which I set to slightly above 60, because my monitor runs at 60 Hz (1920x1080 pixels); vertical sync is also enabled. The fps is then miserable (avg. 15, max. 20), but the game does not crash anymore on that PC. It seems to be likely that the Intel iGPU driver update (version 27.20.100.9466, dated 16 Apr 2021) plays a role, but I am not sure, nor would I know what exactly could have contributed.

Do you have some further hints or thoughts what I could do retrospectively?

Edited by Ceres