0 A.D. 0.0.24b-alpha crashes under Windows 10

Ceres

Build configuration

Make sure to select the "Release" configuration to build an optimized, more playable version of the game (the target will be pyrogenesis.exe). The "Debug" configuration can be more useful for debugging but has significantly reduced performance (the target will be pyrogenesis_dbg.exe). Both "Release" and "Debug" builds include debug symbols, see Debugging and Debugging on Windows for more details on debugging.

Now you should be able to build the code from within Visual Studio, using "Build Solution" (F7).

This is for the 'pyrogenesis' entry on the right hand side, correct? When I select it and build, a bunch of error messages appear, which I have yet to understand and to resolve. Please bear with me... (might take another day). Thank you. :)

1.png

Edited by Ceres

15 hours ago, Stan` said:

You need to install the xp toolset or change the toolset to the normal one :)

I have done this (with shift + select all). When I now do [Build] on 'pyrogenesis', I get error messages about a missing Windows 8.1 SDK. As I am on Windows 10, how can I install the 8.1 SDK? Where to get it from? And will it be installable at all without any unwanted side effects?

EDIT: And do I have to do run 'update-workspaces.bat' every time before doing [Build]?

Edited by Ceres

Oh my, I admittedly have no real clue what has been installed. I went through the wiki and installed VS 2017, but which SDK? Sorry, this is all very new to me (never used VC or Windows SDKs before). Thanks for your patience with me. :blush:

I am going to uninstall the Windows 7.1 SDK, because this does not seem to be correct/of help.

1.png

Edited by Ceres

Erm, sorry, I still don't get it. What do you mean by "Windows SDK Version"? The Property Pages show 8.1, and I understand that I need to install it, but where to get it? The information available on MS sites etc. are confusing to me.

Besides, I have now selected again "Visual Studio 2014 (v141)" as Platform Toolset. Correct, is it?

EDIT: Oh, the solution could be there:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43704734/how-to-fix-the-error-windows-sdk-version-8-1-was-not-found

I will have lunch now and be back soon. ;)

Great, it works from svn/git on my "developing machine" (HP laptop). :victory:

I have yet to test run this on the PC with the crashes, but that is in use by the kids right now. :rolleyes: Well, guess what they are playing? ;)

Only thing that occurs to me on first glance (on the functioning HP laptop) is that the gfx items (also the text in the startup screen - at least on first start) seem to "materialise", i.e. they take a few seconds until fully visible (before, there are just "shades" - difficult to explain without video, which I cannot take). That's when starting pyrogenesis from within VS and also from outside. And there is another thing that appears new (to me), compared to the 0.0.24a release: In the menu, there is a new entry called "Continue Campaign", greyed out (maybe a placeholder, you developers are currently working on?).

But this is off-topic here in this thread about the crashes. Oh, please allow me another OT comment - about the wiki (I hope, you don't mind):

Running

Run the game with F5 inside Visual Studio (assuming "pyrogenesis" is set as the startup project, which is default). If you want to run it outside the debugger, run binaries\system\pyrogenesis_dbg.exe.

To run the automated tests, run the "test" project. (Right click on "test" and "set as StartUp Project" and F5; or right click, "Debug", "Start new instance"). In VS's debug output window, ignore any "first-chance exception" messages; it should say ".......OK!" if it succeeded.

It's only "pyrogenesis_dbg.exe" if debug was selected in VS, I assume, since for me it is just "pyrogenesis.exe".

1.png

22 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Only thing that occurs to me on first glance (on the functioning HP laptop) is that the gfx items (also the text in the startup screen - at least on first start) seem to "materialise", i.e. they take a few seconds until fully visible (before, there are just "shades" - difficult to explain without video, which I cannot take). That's when starting pyrogenesis from within VS and also from outside. And there is another thing that appears new (to me), compared to the 0.0.24a release: In the menu, there is a new entry called "Continue Campaign", greyed out (maybe a placeholder, you developers are currently working on?).

Releases have precached textures. The development version does not. The grey thing is the texture being converted from PNG to DDS.

Yes we added a campaign menu, currently you can only play the tutorial through it.

23 minutes ago, Ceres said:

It's only "pyrogenesis_dbg.exe" if debug was selected in VS, I assume, since for me it is just "pyrogenesis.exe".

That's correct, debug is also much much slower than release.

5 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Sure, the "gaming" PC is not occupied by the kids anymore, and I have started copying the "binaries" folders/files to it - takes a while...

Yeah, you might want to zip them...

• Thanks 1

hi, 

first time in svn it takes a bit of time to load and cache needed textures so you see grayed out things for a bit of time. 

in release they are all provided in cached format directly. 

yes, there is new button in svn for campaign, though I don't think it is in best spot @wraitii, looks like it may confuse people why it is grayed out.

(Here I am not sure I understand your comment or question, anyway some info) 

Game can be build with debug or release setup producing pyrogenesis.exe or pyrogenesis_dbg.exe.

I dont really suggest debug unless you are stuck with debugging in release build since debug build is very slow.

Note you can use vs to start pyrogenesis in release or debug setup.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Releases have precached textures. The development version does not. The grey thing is the texture being converted from PNG to DDS.

Yes we added a campaign menu, currently you can only play the tutorial through it.

That's correct, debug is also much much slower than release.

Yeah, you might want to zip them...

Yep, good idea - thanks once more, also for your kind explanations and confirmation. Transferring the approx. 30.000 objects even over Gbit takes about 30 minutes, I just see...

@Angen

And thanks to you, too, for your kind confirmation. :)

PS:

Sorry, I never thought that copying a 4GB flat file from one PC to another through Gbit LAN takes longer than setting up VC. ;)

Edited by Ceres

Well, it works - also on the PC where the release crashes! :banana: It works both in windowed and in fullscreen mode. I played with some gfx settings, and there was never a crash with GLSL always enabled. The fps is not great when being too bold, but it's just a laptop. ;)

Guys, I thank you very much for your endurance to help me noob to get things up with VC etc. I hope that I can be also of further help to you, as I believe that here are very kind people around, and it's a great game. I am getting off-topic now, but I not only like the gfx but also the music. Just lovely! :wub:

Erm, before I forget, just a few minor remarks:

In the development version, some language names are not properly displayed, when you go to the language setting. And when the tutorial loads (I guess, it's the same for "plain" games), the nice info/picture below get dismissed automatically when the data are 100% loaded. Maybe you would like to consider adding a button the user can click to pause continuation to the game screen, so s/he can read the information completely? Else, it is hard to get it all, and it would be a shame to get it past the players without much notice. ;) Maybe you would also like to consider not to load combat scenes in that loading window for the tutorial, which is about economy. ;)

And last but not least, just a quick question (I almost don't dare asking): Where does 0 A.D. store the assets (gfx, sfx, tiles, etc.)? I see that it creates "0ad" folders in many places (may too many?) but was not able to find this (yet).

Please let me know how/where I can further contribute/help. Thanks.

1. The release build still crashes on that PC, when GDSL is enabled. It does not crash, when GDSL is disabled.
  2. How can I find out? I have some very vague idea about commits etc., but need some more guidance (if your time permits it), so I know what to do. Shall I go back commits and build every time and check when it crashes/does not crash anymore? How do I do this with TurtoiseSVN and VC? Thanks for your patience. :)

EDIT: Ah, found this:
https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-update.html

EDIT2: As I use TurtoiseGit, this is not applicable for me, though.

Edited by Ceres

to the languages, they need fonts not included into the game, which are provided by the language mods.

to the loading tooltips/images, they are randomly chosen not dependent on the map, maybe could be desired to have specific tooltip/images set for the given map I can see it possibly wanted for campaigns. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ceres said:

The release build still crashes on that PC, when GDSL is enabled. It does not crash, when GDSL is disabled.

I mean not the A24b release, but a release build for the SVN version.

12 minutes ago, Ceres said:

How can I find out? I have some very vague idea about commits etc., but need some more guidance (if your time permits it), so I know what to do. Shall I go back commits and build every time and check when it crashes/does not crash anymore? How do I do this with TurtoiseSVN and VC? Thanks for your patience.

Yeah, you need to go step-by-step and build. But the good thing is that you can use binary search: if you have a range [A, B], when on the revision A the game is broken and B is fixed you need to check the revision (A + B ) / 2. And then depending on results you need to go to [A, ( A + B ) / 2] or [( A + B ) / 2, B]. That feature is built-in in git, but maybe there is something similar for svn.

Oh, I am using TurtoiseGit, and there is also TortoiseGitIDiff. I will check...

About your other comment: "... but a release build for the SVN version". Sorry, I don't understand what you meant by this. Can you please explain? Thanks.

28 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

Is it really fixed or is it still reproducible for a release build of the game?

6 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

I mean not the A24b release, but a release build for the SVN version.

What is a "release build for the SVN version"?