0 A.D. 0.0.24b-alpha crashes under Windows 10

Ceres

Hello!

This is my first post here, so please bear with me if I am maybe doing something wrong. I am happy to learn. ;)

I have 2 mini/barebone PCs, one an Intel NUC8i3BEH with an Intel Core-i3 8th gen CPU @3.00-3.60 GHz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, and 16 GB DDR4-2400 RAM, on which 0 A.D. runs very nicely.

However, on a Gigabyte Brix GB-BLPD-5005 with an Intel Pentium Silver J5005 CPU @1.50-2.80 GHz, Intel UHD Graphics 605, and 8 GB DDR4-2400 RAM, 0 A.D. crashes when starting a new single player game or the tutorial. Is this CPU and/or iGPU too weak?

Thanks for your help! :)

Much to our regret we must report the program has encountered an error.

Please let us know at http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ and attach the crashlog.txt and crashlog.dmp files.
You may find paths to these files at https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

Details: unhandled exception (Access violation reading 0x88001350)

Call stack:

(error while dumping stack: No stack frames found)
errno = 0 (No error reported here)
OS error = 0 (no error code was set)

EDIT: What information is in the crashlog.dmp file? (not attached) Anything sensitive?

crashlog.txt

Edited by Ceres

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

EDIT: What information is in the crashlog.dmp file? (not attached) Anything sensitive?

The callstack we need to know what crashed :)

1 hour ago, Ceres said:

crashes when starting a new single player game or the tutorial. Is this CPU and/or iGPU too weak?

Could be anything. Try disabling GLSL and postprocessing in the game options (first postproc then glsl)

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much. I can leave postproc enabled but have to disable GLSL, then it works. As soon as I enable it during game play, it crashes - see attached dump.

crashlog.dmp

EDIT:

Maybe this is helpful, too - I have OpenGL Extensions Viewer (Windows) executed and can share further information.

OpenGL Extensions Viewer report.txt

Edited by Ceres

>	ig9icd32.dll!7261644d()	Inconnu
 	ig9icd32.dll![Les frames ci-dessous sont peut-être incorrects et/ou manquants, aucun symbole chargé pour ig9icd32.dll]	Inconnu
 	ig9icd32.dll!7208ce0b()	Inconnu
 	ig9icd32.dll!7277f890()	Inconnu
 	ig9icd32.dll!7287a13b()	Inconnu
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CShaderProgramGLSL::Bind() Ligne 515	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CShaderProgramGLSL::Link() Ligne 390	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CShaderProgramGLSL::Reload() Ligne 494	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CShaderManager::NewProgram(const char * name=0x004f20e4, const CShaderDefines & baseDefines, std::shared_ptr<CShaderProgram> & program={...}) Ligne 272	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CShaderManager::LoadProgram(const char * name=0x004f20e4, const CShaderDefines & defines) Ligne 69	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!`anonymous namespace'::GetOverlayLineShader(const CShaderDefines & defines) Ligne 53	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!OverlayRenderer::RenderTexturedOverlayLines() Ligne 448	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!OverlayRenderer::RenderOverlaysAfterWater() Ligne 425	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CRenderer::RenderSubmissions(const CBoundingBoxAligned & waterScissor={...}) Ligne 1399	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CRenderer::RenderScene(Scene & scene) Ligne 1714	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CGameView::Render() Ligne 240	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!Render() Ligne 240	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CGame::ReallyStartGame() Ligne 319	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!ProgressiveLoad() Ligne 309	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!Frame() Ligne 394	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!RunGameOrAtlas(int argc=1, const char * * argv=0x009cc028) Ligne 692	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!SDL_main(int argc=1, char * * argv=0x009cc028) Ligne 743	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!___delayLoadHelper2@8()	C
 	[Cadre en ligne] pyrogenesis.exe!invoke_main() Ligne 90	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!__scrt_common_main_seh() Ligne 288	C++
 	pyrogenesis.exe!CallStartupWithinTryBlock() Ligne 365	C++
 	kernel32.dll!75b7fa29()	Inconnu
 	ntdll.dll!77077c7e()	Inconnu
 	ntdll.dll!77077c4e()	Inconnu

Given the above callstack, I think it's for @vladislavbelov

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ceres said:

Sure, I will post more dumps with step by step adjustments as you suggest (might take a few days). Do you need the dumps only, or also the logs?

Currently I don't need dumps, first I need to find an option that triggers the crash.

3 minutes ago, Ceres said:

PS: Would you mind lifting off the post limit for me temporarily? Thanks.

@feneur could you remove the post limit?

• Thanks 1

Ok, let me first start with windowed mode - see screenshot. This already triggers a crash, when 100% of the loading bar have been reached (the tutorial).

1.png

The same happens in fullscreen mode. So this was fast, but (unfortunately) also not very encouraging, I assume, as GLSL immediately ends the party. :(

Edited by Ceres

Same crash with FPS throttling to minimum (which would maybe not make sense in a real game). Please let me know what else I can do to help. Thanks. :)

EDIT: The number after "Access violation" changes from time to time. Sorry, I should have posted all the numbers. Is it relevant?

4.png

5.png

Edited by Ceres

Yes, they are, tells me Intel's Driver & Support Assistant for the Intel HD Graphics 605 iGPU.

By the way, I have a very similar iGPU (Intel HD Graphics 620) in an HP laptop, where 0 A.D. runs nicely with GLSL (as well as with the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 iGPU in another PC, mentioned at the beginning).

I have these devices (all with Windows 10 Pro 64bit, version 20H2) for testing purposes:

1. Intel Pentium Silver J5005 CPU @1.50-2.80 GHz + Intel HD Graphics 605 - GLSL crashes
  2. Intel Core i3 7th gen CPU @2.30 GHz + Intel HD Graphics 620 - GLSL works
  3. Intel Core i3 8th gen CPU @3.00-3.60 GHz + Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 - GLSL works

If it helps, I can provide the detailed capabilities of all 3 iGPUs.

Do you think that the different CPUs also matter?

Edited by Ceres

@vladislavbelov

The wiki says about the build instructions:

Setting up the build environment

The game must be compiled with Microsoft Visual C++. You can get the free 2017 Community edition here: Visual Studio older downloads. You can also install Visual Studio 2019 and choose to install the 2017 compiler (version 14.0).

However, MS only offers Visual Studio 2017 - versions 15.0 and 15.9, but no version 14.0. Is it ok to select 15.0?

EDIT: In fact, the "free 2017 Community edition" is nowhere to be found. Have they removed it? Nevermind, I will follow the advice "You can also install Visual Studio 2019 and choose to install the 2017 compiler (version 14.0)." ;)

Edited by Ceres