Map failed to load / Texture not latest version - Getting started with RL on 0 A.D

LazyGreyMatter

Based on the wiki: Getting Started with Reinforcement Learning, I have been unsuccessfully trying to execute the scenarios and train the model. The code keeps failing when trying to load the maps from zero_ad_rl. The maps zipped as "0ad_rl_maps.zip" give out either of the two errors:

• Unable to load textures - too old - (Temp fix by changing the scenario version from 6 to 7 (as is the current FILE_READ_VERSION in source code)).
  • Unable to load map - check application logs (which basically throws .pmp File_OpenFailed error)

Since I am new to the modding part of this, can anyone please direct me as to how to fix these issues, especially the pmp file not loading error?

I followed the instructions from the article wiki/GettingStartedReinforcementLearning, but I run into an issue after this command

picus@Picus zero_ad_rl-master % python3 -m zero_ad_rl.train --help

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "/Users/picus/0ad/source/tools/rlclient/zero_ad_rl-master/zero_ad_rl/train.py", line 5, in <module>
    from ray.rllib.train import create_parser, run
  File "/Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/ray/__init__.py", line 63, in <module>
    import ray._raylet  # noqa: E402
  File "python/ray/_raylet.pyx", line 20, in init ray._raylet
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/ray/thirdparty_files/setproctitle.cpython-38-darwin.so, 2): Symbol not found: _Py_GetArgcArgv
  Referenced from: /Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/ray/thirdparty_files/setproctitle.cpython-38-darwin.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /Library/Python/3.8/site-packages/ray/thirdparty_files/setproctitle.cpython-38-darwin.so
picus@Picus zero_ad_rl-master % 

Procedure macOS 10.15.7 (8/Apr/21)

Spoiler

Download & Install 0ad

Download & Install Python 3.8

• Install Homebrew and Python@3.8
    • I had to install "python@3.8" because "python@3.9" did not work for me. Make sure you uninstall "python@3.9" completely, otherwise I had problems installing "ray". (See docs.ray.io/en/master/installation.html)

Install 'zero_ad' Python Client

• navigate to this folder in the 0 A.D. source folder.
    • ~/0ad/source/tools/rlclient/python
  • run
    • sudo -H python3 -m pip install .
    • Confirmation message: Successfully installed zero-ad-0.0.1
  • run
    • sudo -H python3 -m pip install -r requirements-dev.txt
    • Confirmation message: Successfully installed iniconfig-1.1.1 pluggy-0.13.1 py-1.10.0 pytest-6.2.3 toml-0.10.2
  • running tests
    • 0ad/binaries/system/pyrogenesis --rl-interface=127.0.0.1:6000 --autostart-nonvisual --mod=public
    • python3 -m pytest
    • Output
      • picus@Picus python % python3 -m pytest
        ============================== test session starts ===============================

platform darwin -- Python 3.8.2, pytest-6.2.3, py-1.10.0, pluggy-0.13.1
        rootdir: /Users/picus/0ad/source/tools/rlclient/python
        collected 10 items

tests/test_actions.py ...... [ 60%]
        tests/test_evaluate.py .... [100%]

============================== 10 passed in 22.50s ===============================

• We can check that our installation worked by running one of the example scripts.
    • python3 ./simple-example.py
    • Output
      • picus@Picus samples % python3 ./simple-example.py
        female citizen's max health is 34.99985
        {'id': 4753, 'template': 'units/spart/support_female_citizen', 'position': [612.9468231201172, 619.9051971435547], 'angle': 0.756927490234375, 'hitpoints': 34.99985, 'invulnerability': False, 'owner': 1, 'idle': False, 'stance': 'passive', 'unitAIState': 'INDIVIDUAL.REPAIR.APPROACHING', 'unitAIOrderData': [{'target': 4776, 'autocontinue': True, 'force': True}], 'resourceCarrying': [], 'garrisonHolderID': 0}

Download & Install 'zero_ad_rl'

• Download "zero_ad_rl" from here: github.com/brollb/zero_ad_rl 
    • First install the “ray[rllib]” and then install "zero_ad_rl" via command
    • sudo -H python3 -m pip install 'ray[rllib]' (pypi.org/project/ray/)
    • sudo -H python3 -m pip install -e .
    • Confirmation message: Successfully installed zero-ad-rl
  • In the "zero_ad_rl" folder you will find a zip file named '0ad_rl_maps.zip', unzip it and change the name of the folder from "0ad_rl_maps" to "rl-scenarios" and add it to your 0ad mods folder (the mod.json file names this mod "rl-scenarios", but if the mod folder is not changed as well, the maps will not be displayed).
    • if you open the game with the mod enabled you should see under Scenario some new maps e.g. "Cavalry Vs Spearmen" or "Cavalry Vs Slingers"
    • Some maps use the old version 6 in their XML files, you have to update them from version 6 to version 7 with Phab:P232 otherwise it will fail
      • But after I did that I still get 'entity' and 'CCacheLoader' errors for maps like "CavalaryVSInfantry", only "CavalryVsSlingers.xml" and "CavalryVsSpearmen.xml" worked for me.
    • UPDATE: Stan fixed this problem, by updating the maps 

Training our agent

• pyrogenesis --rl-interface=127.0.0.1:6000 --autostart-nonvisual --mod=rl-scenarios --mod=public
  • python3 -m zero_ad_rl.train --help
    • error 

UPDATE: As described here (github.com/ray-project/ray/issues/10428), it does work with 3.8.5 but not with 3.8.9 (the current python@3.8 homebrew version)

Edited by Langbart
added python 3.8.5 remark