New Skirmish Map - Faroe Islands (6)

This is my first map ever, so I'm not completely satisfied with it, but it's playable and mostly prettied up. Thanks to Tom for making the heightmap video guide, or I wouldn't have had the inspiration. If I make another map after this, I am definitely going to be making a small map instead.

P4.thumb.PNG.e1ffc5388b977e0d19bd238bf7b76060.PNGP3.thumb.PNG.402a9877de2994e7347393c1ad2ffc28.PNG

The map isn't balanced terrain-wise, but I've attempted to balance the resources equally between player boundaries. For optimal resource management, I definitely recommend trader ships, as you can get hundreds of resources per trip if travelling from island to island.

Faroe Islands (6).7z

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lopess said:

Adds more trees and animals (we have whales and fish) and gaia structures, if I were you I would also play a bit with the color of the sun and its position. Congratulations on the beautiful beginning.

Thank you. Yes, I had a rough time designing the resources, because the Faroe Islands are known to have barely any trees. My solution was to pepper areas with bushes packed together to hopefully give an adequate amount of wood. With a couple playtests, I assumed this was adequate if the players get traders up and running. There are also goats littered about but of course I could always add some more.

28 minutes ago, Lopess said:

Adds more trees and animals (we have whales and fish) and gaia structures, if I were you I would also play a bit with the color of the sun and its position. Congratulations on the beautiful beginning.

From what i can find the islands were not inhabited until after the game's timeline.

So maybe better to not have structures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Faroe_Islands#Early_Gaelic_and_Norse_settlements

If possible would be good to have Huntable birds and Seals (Land mamals on the islands were introduced by humans)

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cleric Orion said:

Thank you. Yes, I had a rough time designing the resources, because the Faroe Islands are known to have barely any trees. My solution was to pepper areas with bushes packed together to hopefully give an adequate amount of wood. With a couple playtests, I assumed this was adequate if the players get traders up and running. There are also goats littered about but of course I could always add some more.

Add grass and shrubs, in addition to small rocks.

• Like 1