===[TASK]=== Crowd Sourced - Garamantians (Faction)

Lopess

G A R A M A N T I A N S

Repository: https://github.com/0ADMods/garamantians

This topic is aimed at receiving references and ideas about the Garamantian civilization. References about architecture, names of kings and queens, in addition to units (the chariots of war: D) will be welcome.

@m7600 is free to comment and help whatever you want, I believe that the Numidians already have their topic, we can comment on them there. I am willing to help in whatever way possible as well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Nice! I took a look at the repo, I thought you needed to make more buildings but you already made almost everything! The only thing I don't see is the Wonder. What ideas do you have for that?

EDIT: I see that you're using the Spartan Wonder for now, but I think it would be cool if the Garamantes had their own Wonder.

I was thinking of these how wonderful what do you think?

741-2343.jpg.a535f4a369fb4087765fe26cd003783f.jpg

(This idea was put forward by Sundiata)

The biggest issue will be the units that I have to make shields, some helmets and textures. I want to give them a standard range of 3/1 libios and berebers with Africans further south. I saw it in a text about the misery in Garama burials (I'll see if I can find the link later).

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

DE's Libyan, Bedouin, and Arabic units (some textures taken from MAD) might work for inspiration?

screenshot1212.jpg

Good textures I will use some: D, I have already adapted some things from the millenium mod. The garamantes must have a mixture of Libias units (lighter clothes and light skin but tanned) and Bebuinas units (with light or dark skin and turbanes).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Really awesome work @Lopess. I thought you needed my help to make the missing stuff, but it looks like you've done almost everything. I think that your Garamantes faction should be included in Alpha 25, together with the Han Chinese, Zapotects, and Xiongu.

Thank you very much, I hope I can reach a level that at least they can be added to Terra Magna. I still have to think about technologies and civ bonuses related to the trading of caravans from the Sahara and the water catchment systems they had. If anyone has access to any name of the real garamantina it would help me a lot, if not names of rulers of ancient Libya (I believe that there must be records from the 8th century BC in Egypt, but I don't want something so out of time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 17/04/2021 at 7:19 PM, Lopess said:

If anyone has access to any name of the real garamantina it would help me a lot, if not names of rulers of ancient Libya (I believe that there must be records from the 8th century BC in Egypt, but I don't want something so out of time.

There is a mod for civilization where their leader is called Djalla.

https://civilization-v-customisation.fandom.com/wiki/The_Garamantes_(Djalla)

But i can't find that name anywhere else.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Taking interest in joining this mod at Github/0admods and add it as a crowd-sourced civ

Interesting if you want to do it, I always start personal projects thinking about a future joint project, unfortunately (or luckily it depends on the point of view) it is easier to start as a personal project taking the initial decisions and then transforming it into a community project.

There are several things that should be improved on it, research on hero names, units and an architectural refinement is always welcome, I intend to do the same with the Japanese Yayoi, but as I'm a little better in 3d editing and there was already a great work of research already existed

2 hours ago, Lopess said:

Interesting if you want to do it, I always start personal projects thinking about a future joint project, unfortunately (or luckily it depends on the point of view) it is easier to start as a personal project taking the initial decisions and then transforming it into a community project.

There are several things that should be improved on it, research on hero names, units and an architectural refinement is always welcome, I intend to do the same with the Japanese Yayoi, but as I'm a little better in 3d editing and there was already a great work of research already existed

I am doing the same with the Thracian and Illyrian faction mods, it's mostly simulation files and art assets, pretty much a working generic civ, so that people can contribute more into it and the mod could elaborate further :)

You have access to Github/0admods right? Maybe you can clone or add a repository of the Garamantes there and I can help with fixing A26 compatibility, so far the art assets looks cool already and I wanna test it soon with a working copy for SVN

12 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

I am doing the same with the Thracian and Illyrian faction mods, it's mostly simulation files and art assets, pretty much a working generic civ, so that people can contribute more into it and the mod could elaborate further :)

You have access to Github/0admods right? Maybe you can clone or add a repository of the Garamantes there and I can help with fixing A26 compatibility, so far the art assets looks cool already and I wanna test it soon with a working copy for SVN

It needs a gameplay proposal.

8 hours ago, wackyserious said:

https://github.com/0ADMods/garamantians 

Fixed to alpha 26, missing details, changes occurred ended up breaking some textures used in the main game, some can be created for greater historical fidelity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lopess said:

https://github.com/0ADMods/garamantians 

Fixed to alpha 26, missing details, changes occurred ended up breaking some textures used in the main game, some can be created for greater historical fidelity.

I can handle the changes on the art folder and actor files, let me help. Thank you very much!

• Like 1

• wackyserious changed the title to ===[TASK]=== Crowd Sourced - Garamantians (Faction)

Leader suggestions since we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here

Gildo - A Numidian rebel that rose in 400 CE and rallied the Garamantes and other desert tribes under him. Control+F for the name Gildo in this translated text

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Claudian/De_Consulatu_Stilichonis/1*.html

Iddibal, Iassuchtan, Iaremaban - Just some dromedary nomad merchants whose names were recorded to trade with the Roman's frontier fort of Bu Njem/ Gholaia in the reports of 253-259 CE. They're may not even be "Garamantes" in a sense, as even the people around those forts were adapting Roman surnames mixed with their traditional given names, but there's always those considered to be outsiders as the article put it -  "We already noticed that the settlers along the wadis produced grain and oil for the soldiers in the forts. The army had not organized the transport of these products. On the ostraca, we encounter several dromedary-drivers, none of them belonging to the armed forces. Their names are interesting: although they must have had mixed names, like the Marchii from Ghirza, the scribes of Bu Njem recorded only the native part (e.g., Iddibal, Iassuchtan, Iaremaban), as if to stress that these merchants were less Roman than the soldiers."

https://www.livius.org/articles/place/gholaia-bu-njem/bu-njem-ostraca/

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, kul said:

Leader suggestions since we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here

Gildo - A Numidian rebel that rose in 400 CE and rallied the Garamantes and other desert tribes under him. Control+F for the name Gildo in this translated text

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Claudian/De_Consulatu_Stilichonis/1*.html

Iddibal, Iassuchtan, Iaremaban - Just some dromedary nomad merchants whose names were recorded to trade with the Roman's frontier fort of Bu Njem/ Gholaia in the reports of 253-259 CE. They're may not even be "Garamantes" in a sense, as even the people around those forts were adapting Roman surnames mixed with their traditional given names, but there's always those considered to be outsiders as the article put it -  "We already noticed that the settlers along the wadis produced grain and oil for the soldiers in the forts. The army had not organized the transport of these products. On the ostraca, we encounter several dromedary-drivers, none of them belonging to the armed forces. Their names are interesting: although they must have had mixed names, like the Marchii from Ghirza, the scribes of Bu Njem recorded only the native part (e.g., Iddibal, Iassuchtan, Iaremaban), as if to stress that these merchants were less Roman than the soldiers."

https://www.livius.org/articles/place/gholaia-bu-njem/bu-njem-ostraca/

Thanks for the historical research, I'm adding your name as a contribution to the mod, please if you find more data on leader names or anything interesting about civ let us know,.

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

I'm getting bunch of errors when playing skirmish, how can I copy the error log text from the game?

Also can someone check it and help me fix the errors, most of the art files have already been reorganized.

Open the interestinglog.html file inside your appdata folder.

See https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

• Like 1