Roleplay Sessions

Bravado2020

Hi how are you all, i just wanted to make a post regarding Roleplay in 0AD especially with the new Alpha as i personally think that 0AD as a whole has some really great RP potential if people are willing to do it and not just deathmatch all the time, Roleplay opens up 0AD in ways you would never think were possible, i have experience of roleplaying in 0AD as i actually hosted a few sessions on Alpha 21-22 i believe and it was a huge success and so much fun to do, it just requires likeminded individuals with a roleplay passion for this to take off on 0AD i really hope it does because it would change the entirety of how 0AD can be played alongside the normal deathmatch modes.

Game Settings for Roleplay Sessions: 

Map type: Random

Map filter: All Maps

Map Size: Giant

Nomad (for players to choose the best possible locations to found their capital city and making sure that they are as far away from other players as possible)

Disabled treasures: Yes

Explored Map: No

Revealed Map: No

Pop Cap: 300

Starting Resources Medium 

Disable Spies: Yes

Game Type:

Conquest: Yes

Capture the relic: Yes (this mode is on for the use of relics in roleplay because they can be used for funeral processions, weddings, nobles, triumphs things of that nature, each player can hold one relic and cannot capture or destroy another players relic they are used purely for roleplay and the number of relics on the map will match the number of players in the session) 

Game Speed: Relaxed (0.75x) (this is because of Normal 1x being too fast and unrealistic.

Explanation: 

Use your imagination to bring the game world to life! Roleplay your chosen civilization and lead them on whatever paths you choose. Your people are not just people they are the lifeblood of your civilization and should be treated with delicate care, keep them protected and happy as no ruler would wish to incite rebellions or riots within their civilizations, ensure the prosperity of your empire by forming trade agreements, cementing alliances, make peace when at war and negotiate ceasefires with other players civilizations. Keep on good terms with historical allies or forge your own path. The possibilities are endless when your using roleplay, send gifts to other civilization's as good will or in favour of a possible treaty, send an envoy (Healer) to request a meeting with the leaders of other civilizations to engage in discussion. Use intrigue and cunning against other civilizations to spy and gain an advantage over your enemies. Meet your enemies on the chosen battlefield and give formation orders and a heroic speech to your men before engaging in battle with your foes. Host a feast for your most trusted allies. Use roleplay to create events within your civilization that have an affect good or bad, for example as Rome you could hold senatorial events or if their is another Roman player you could both engage in a civil war roleplay. Everything you do that effects your civilization must be shown in game chat, for example (Rome holds senate meeting to discuss the tax levels of its citizens due to unrest and to discuss the extension of Quintus Fabius Maximus's consulship) There are so many idea's and paths you could choose, think you have what it takes to be a Roleplayer? There are also strict rules to every Roleplay session that are their to keep gameplay fair and realistic: This is not a deathmatch style of play the goal is not to build a super army and steamroll your opponent, You must have good reason for declaring war as well as letting the whole world know (The Roman Senate has declared war with Gaul as territorial borders were not respected, the roman people feel that iron is the only language these barbarians understand), Dont force or manipulate a war declaration just because you might be bored let the session play out and use your ingenuity. When at war battles must be fought on battlefields chosen through Roleplay by the two warring Civilizations on the game map and once your army has marched there you can choose to set up a temporary camp for your men giving them time to rest and resupply before engaging in battle or move your troops into formation and take the field ready to attack the enemy should they appear, Wars are big things and therefore have more meaning in Roleplay than just attacking the enemy in force, Tactics are a big thing and can turn the tide of a battle: for example (hide some cavalry in a nearby forest ready to pounce when the time is right), small skirmishes may occur but only when raiding forces attack a village or trade route and are attacked by defending troops. Borders must be respected and not be crossed, doing so could result in repercussions for you and your civilization. Expansion must not be huge, Build closer together for max space on the map, build cities Large, Towns Average and Villages small, the game will be on Nomad as to give every player the freedom to settle where they choose and the maximum distance possible from each player and if somehow you find yourself somewhat close to another civilization then make sure to build away from them as to limit border clashes, there is a limit of 1 city (CC and all buildings and stone walls) 1 town (Houses, Storehouses, Corrals, Farms, 1 Temple, 1 Dock, 1 Blacksmith, 1 Barracks, 1 Stables, 1 Market and Wooden Palisades) and 1 small village(Houses, Storehouses, 1 farmstead, 1 corral). You cannot rush an enemy town, city or village, small villages can be raided but only by a small group of 5-6 troops and no buildings must be destroyed within the village the only exceptions are farms, peasants or livestock, roleplay must be ensured before any large event planned by players and you must let the world know of what is happening within your civilization at all times, all discussions or treaties require the players to meet on the game map with your leader and a bodyguard of up to 8 men in a disclosed location of your choosing only once together may discussions begin in in game private chat. Don't rush building your civilization take your time to plan and carefully place every building making it look as realistic and easy on the eye as you possibly can giving a unique aura to your chosen civilization and vibrance to the entire game world, if you are a tribal civilization (Gaul, Britons or Iberia then your total territory size must be smaller compared to the superpowers of Rome, Carthage, Egypt etc to add realism as tribes did not build huge cities but smaller tribal villages with only a few buildings. There is a limit of 10 champion troops per civilization, siege weapons and towers are banned, Healers built from temple's are used as Envoys/Diplomats to engage in discussions with other civilizations, you must request permission to speak to another civilization's leaders and then send an envoy to begin any form of discussion between civilizations. A wonder is allowed but must be built in your city only and cannot be upgraded they are purely for show to enhance the looks of your city capital. Players using the same civilization is not allowed with an exception for Rome being allowed to be used by two players, At the very start of a game everyone must make sure to change their diplomatic status with all players to Neutral and change their colour to match their chosen civilization in the game lobby (Rome is Red, if their are two players using Roman civilizations then the other must be blue, Carthage, Seleucid and Iberia is Black, Gaul and Kushite's are Green, Britons and Athenians are light Blue, Egypt is yellow, Macedon and Sparta are Purple, Mauryan's and Persians are Orange) make sure to change diplomatic status when at war and at peace to ensure no accidental skirmishes. Remember to be as authentic as possible to your Civilizations culture and roleplay them as they would have been in real life, (Rome must always be roleplayed as a Republic due to their troop composition) if your not sure of your Civilizations culture you can always do some research on them. Keep the game session fresh for all players with new events happening within your civilization as to give the sense of a living breathing world and most importantly have fun! 

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Catafalque.png.37faa895c698c4fb2d7ac00ff61f16b0.png

EgyptianPyramids.jpg

Kushcitycenter.jpg

MacedonPort.jpg

athenian_gymnasion.jpg

SpartanTown (1).jpg

alpha-8-persianheavyinfantry.jpg

PersianTradeRoute.jpg

0ad_seleucids.png

Edited by Bravado2020
Edited
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bravado2020 said:

Hi how are you all, i just wanted to make a post regarding Roleplay in 0AD especially with the new Alpha as i personally think that 0AD as a whole has some really great RP potential if people are willing to do it and not just deathmatch all the time, Roleplay opens up 0AD in ways you would never think were possible, i have experience of roleplaying in 0AD as i actually hosted a few sessions on Alpha 21-22 i believe and it was a huge success and so much fun to do, it just requires likeminded individuals with a roleplay passion for this to take off on 0AD i really hope it does because it would change the entirety of how 0AD can be played alongside the normal deathmatch modes. Thanks.

EgyptianPyramids.jpg

Kushcitycenter.jpg

MacedonPort.jpg

What do you mean when you are talking about RPGs? Are you talking about mechanics like in the Spellforce games? Maybe this will be doable as @wraitii committed D11.

7 hours ago, Bravado2020 said:

Hi how are you all, i just wanted to make a post regarding Roleplay in 0AD especially with the new Alpha as i personally think that 0AD as a whole has some really great RP potential if people are willing to do it and not just deathmatch all the time, Roleplay opens up 0AD in ways you would never think were possible, i have experience of roleplaying in 0AD as i actually hosted a few sessions on Alpha 21-22 i believe and it was a huge success and so much fun to do, it just requires likeminded individuals with a roleplay passion for this to take off on 0AD i really hope it does because it would change the entirety of how 0AD can be played alongside the normal deathmatch modes. Thanks.

EgyptianPyramids.jpg

Kushcitycenter.jpg

MacedonPort.jpg

I mean as @OptimusShepard said Spellforce game series type features and campaigns  as mentioned before D11 which (after somewhere around 100 review version) created and committed  by @wraitii gives us AOE1 style campaign with more improvements coming as seen here.

1 hour ago, OptimusShepard said:

What do you mean when you are talking about RPGs? Are you talking about mechanics like in the Spellforce games? Maybe this will be doable as @wraitii committed D11.

I mean playing 0AD in a way that no one else does, think of games like Rome total war with its diplomacy, trade agreements, alliances, peace treaties, ceasefires and non aggression pacts then create your own story and way you want to play using your imagination and roleplaying it out in game with others doing the same. There are rules though of course.

2 minutes ago, asterix said:

I mean as @OptimusShepard said Spellforce game series type features and campaigns  as mentioned before D11 which (after somewhere around 100 review version) created and committed  by @wraitii gives us AOE1 style campaign with more improvements coming as seen here.

I am not talking about adding any features to the game for roleplay although they would be good, i am talking about using your imagination to roleplay in 0AD as it is now in Alpha 24

5 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this roleplay mode? I have never played a roleplay game before so I need some explanations...

So in short here's one of my old descriptions: Use your imagination to bring the game world to life! Roleplay your chosen civilization and lead them on whatever paths you choose. Your people are not just people they are the lifeblood of your civilization and should be treated with delicate care, keep them protected and happy as no ruler would wish to incite rebellions or riots within their civilizations, ensure the prosperity of your empire by forming trade agreements, cementing alliances, make peace when at war and negotiate ceasefires with other players civilizations. Keep on good terms with historical allies or forge your own path. The possibilities are endless when your using roleplay, send gifts to other civilization's as good will or in favour of a possible treaty, send an envoy to form a meeting with the leaders of other civilizations to engage in discussion. Use intrigue and cunning against other civilizations to spy and gain an advantage over your enemies. Meet your enemies on the chosen battlefield and give formation orders and a heroic speech to your men before engaging in battle with your foes. Host a feast for your most trusted allies. Use roleplay to create events within your civilization, for example as Rome you could hold senatorial events or if their is another Roman player you could both engage in a civil war roleplay. Everything you do that effects your civilization must be shown in game chat, for example - Rome holds senate meeting to discuss the tax levels of its citizens and to discuss the extension of Quintus Fabius Maximus's consulship. There are so many idea's and paths you could choose, think you have what it takes to be a Roleplayer? There are also strict rules to every RP session that are their to keep gameplay fair and realistic.