Idea: Dynamic daytime and weather

One of the things that makes 0ad great are its gorgeous graphics and breathtaking environments! Yet they're limited by a factor I couldn't find much discussion of and was curious to ask if there are any plans for: Lack of a dynamic time of day and weather. I had 3 different questions:

1. Is a dynamic daytime cycle going to be implemented at some point? I've looked at the shadows closely and the sun never moves during a game, it's always a fixed time of day.

2. Even with a static daytime I haven't ever gotten a mission during a red sunset or night time, it's always day with different sun angles. I understand a night option was implemented in 0.24b; Is there only day and night, or are times such as red sunrises / sunsets possible as well?

3. Will weather ever be supported? I noticed that on some maps there are particle clouds in the sky, but there's never any raining or snowing or sandstorms going on.

Weather, seasons and things like are widely discussed in the forum. The answers will probably depend of your point of view : graphical or gameplay related. I understand you speak more about the graphical part. In that case, I think it depends mostly of artists. For example, for the winter part we would have to switch to the snowy variants of all structures and things like that: that needs a lot of artwork. (But that's doable and was even done).

2. Perhaps does it depends mainly of the map maker ?

3. It's yet done I think : there are maps with rain or snow.

13 minutes ago, seeh said:

yes i think so. a few days ago i saw it raining somewhere, in some map. was really surpriced

(names are probably different in 0 A.D., those are from Fork AD)

For rain, you have those ones:

random/extinct_volcano.js
random/rmbiome/fields_of_meroe/rainy.json
skirmishes/Deccan_Plateau_2.xml
skirmishes/Gambia_River_3.xml
skirmishes/Punjab_2.xml

You have also maps with fireflies or volcan dust.

You have more chance to find nice maps in the skirmishes and scenario category.

That one from @nani is nice for example:

image.thumb.png.c9adfbe6eba3a1ff92846a9bcf070f06.png

• Like 1