Civ Differentiation -- Celts -- Loot Bonus?

6 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

There could be the option of introducing technologies that make their infantry better at destroying and/or capturing structures.  

Indeed. For non-catapult civs, DE gives a "Siege Ladders" tech in the Fortress, a Capture Attack boost for that civ's soldiers. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

There is a big difference between breaking down the walls by force and taking over a city that was abandoned, which is how the Brits effectively "conquered" the Romans. 

More to the point at hand, I like @borg-'s idea to also give celts some lite-siege in p2. But I don't want to totally take away their ability to be a threat in p3, so I would want to see some ram (or something similar) remain in place. As it is, celts are already weak p3 civs because they only have one siege unit.

But two men and a trunk is a siege weapon and can also be used in stage 3 effectively. Just as we have techs for rams, we can have 2 or 3 techs exclusive to them, or an upgrade for four men and a larger trunk, are many possibilities. Ram removal is a key point here for diversification. Algo Stone throwing or something like this (comhampions slinger?) can be very effective vs buildings, maybe with fire balls, like iber champion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, borg- said:

But two men and a trunk is a siege weapon and can also be used in stage 3 effectively. Just as we have techs for rams, we can have 2 or 3 techs exclusive to them, or an upgrade for four men and a larger trunk, are many possibilities. Ram removal is a key point here for diversification. Algo Stone throwing or something like this (comhampions slinger?) can be very effective vs buildings, maybe with fire balls, like iber champion.

I would be fine with that. I just don't want celts to become "win by p2 or lose by p3" civ. So if siege is removed, I would want to make sure it gets replaced with something that can still allow celts to win in p3. 

To be frank, all civs should have log-ram on phase 2. The fact we have to wait for phase 3 to have siege is a big issue imo in terms of pace.

We should be able to have quick games without requiring a resign

Then celts could have some op bonus for log-rams

• Like 2

On 25/03/2021 at 8:24 PM, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

There could be the option of introducing technologies that make their infantry better at destroying and/or capturing structures.  

I agree to this. The Gauls have unpopular naked fanatics(could go the same for other p2 champions/mercenaries). I think if we could tweak them to be good at capturing CCs/towers(In the sense that 20 of them could capture a garrisoned CC if the opponent is in p2 or p1, for a p3 opponent it should be more difficult& for example CCs/buildings should be hard to capture if there is a tower close by), they would get their place in the game and the territory problem would be somewhat solved. It would create a gameplay like: You can capture buildings, but at a cost of training expensive and specialized champions. Mainly this point comes down to reworking the capturing process and getting a fair ballance(which requires a more elaborate post). The main point is: Should 20 fanatics be enough to take a CC is the opponent can´t protect it and hasn´t reached p3?

Since we have techs like archery and hoplite tradition, we could also add sling tradition for celts/iberians. I would suggest the cost to be (400s,400M) and its effect is to double to crush damage of slingers and reduce their training time by 10%. That would mean for gameplay that 44 slingers give you as much crush damage output as 1 elephant, but the technology comes at reasonable cost. Also reducing hack resistance of CC to 20 could help for destroying CCs(As apart from elephants no-one uses hack damage vs CCs anyway).

Further comment1: I don´t think the gauls are weak. The lower building time&small houses gives them a nice boom which can be exploited. The main problem is that the Britons same bonus and a better tech tree IMHO.

Further comment2:I don´t see how the man with a log unit is going to work out gameplaywise. Please elaborate on what the unit would look like(listing its stats such as armor values&pop count, possible upgrades, how it can be trained and if it has other roles or is just the anti-building thingy). I would like to give a critic reply, but without giving the specifics of the unit, any comments would be speculation.

Edited by LetswaveaBook