America Going To The Moon

Well, the high-tech sector may benifit, the smart kids will probably too, but that leaves out 95% of your population, like always. And I believe more or better food on the table, better education, better social security (aka wellfare) won't be the result of more national pride or more opportunities for the high-tech sector.

First of only one billion dollars is new to the nasa budget. The rest is just being redistibuted in the program.

Secondly, has any one read Mining the Sky? It is about how much money we could make if we would only commercialize space. The asteroid belt is litteraly a gold mine. Also a private company can a pay load in space for almost half the amount of NASA.

I hope that some person (or a group of people) funds a private venture into mining asteroids. :D It'd be a great thing for space development, plus, it's a huge "treasure trove" of precious metals/minerals potentially worth trillions of dollars :(

And yes, I think it'd be possible to do that without "commercializing" space.

private venture into mining asteroids.

I don't know, sounds like commercialization to me.

I guess I've always seen space as a chance to leave behind earth, to try to exist in a better way than we live on earth, and to me bringing corporations into space would forever ruin that.

Maybe there is a better way to live than to try and "own" things or to try and conquer things, and I think it'd only be possible to live like this from scratch - it's too late on Earth.