America Going To The Moon

See: http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid...tid=134&tid=160

"This afternoon George Bush announced space exploration plans for the USA to return to the Moon by 2015, the design and construction of a new space vehicle fleet by 2014 (called the Crew Exploration Vehicle) to replace the aging space shuttles which will be retired in 2010, and the construction of a permanent Moon base, followed by manned missions to Mars."

Personally, I think this is great ;) I've been wanting to see a new Moon mission since... forever :ph34r:

All I can say is "About time!" LOL Man I am so psyched about this, I think it is a great plan and we should do it. Can you imagine what our technological level would be if NASA had been funded for the last 20 years like it was during the Moon landing period? I can't wait! :ph34r:

*writes NASA "Can I come?"*

All I can say is "About time!" LOL Man I am so psyched about this, I think it is a great plan and we should do it. Can you imagine what our technological level would be if NASA had been funded for the last 20 years like it was during the Moon landing period? I can't wait! :ph34r:

*writes NASA "Can I come?"*

Ditto, that's my thoughts exactly ;)

Heh, it'll be a while before we get to Mars, Mr. Zezar :ph34r:

I saw somewhere "10 reasons why reinvesting the space program is worth it" or something like that. If anyone else has seen it, maybe they coudl find it and link to it, because I have to go right now and don't have any time...

Why go to the moon? Havent you guys allready been there? Id say send them to Mars [wink.gif]

Well it's quite a bit more expensive to go to Mars, and we can use the moon as training so that when we go to Mars, we do it right. Also the plan I think is to establish a moon base somewhere between 2014 and 2030 and then to get to mars using the moon as a 'pit stop'.

It will be expensive, but then again, taxes pay for it!!! [wink.gif]

Well you can say that if you don't pay taxes.. but personally, this is the sort of thing I'd be happy for my money to go towards.

I believe the money for this could be invested a bit more wisely

I disagree, this is quite a good investment. First of all, the American people themselves are quite responsive to anything that builds national pride, etc. So by beginning something like this, I feel it will "jump start" the high-tech sector of the economy and keep it rolling as long as the programs are active. And then maybe we'll start seeing some high-tech jobs back in the USA instead of them being exported around the world. And if you recall in the 1960s when we were shooting for the moon, American schools had a major boom in the mathematics and sciences, the effects of which include basically everything high-tech we have today that allow lots of Americans to live (certainly not all) as they wish. I think a program of this nature is a great investment, because of all of the economic benefits that will come with it. As if landing on the moon or mars itself isn't a worthy goal...

Extremely well said Adam!

Just look at what happened with Apollo: the Moon missions basically kick-started high-tech research, etc, or at least helped the growth. They had to come up with LOADS of new technology and methodology to be able to accomplish the objective.

I can't remember exactly, but I once saw an example of some of the stuff they invented for Apollo that is now used for everyday conveniences. Without Apollo, we wouldn't have a lot of things that help us every day!! That, IMO, is money well spent :D