Balkan Mercenaries

A few suggestions:

1. Mercenary cavalry maceman

Cavalry maceman should be able to deal huge damage to buildings and cataphracts, but not too much damage to units, just like the Mauryan Yoddha. Historically some cavalrymen carried a spherical club and used this weapon to knock on the rider of a cataphract. The vibration of the cataphract's helmet will give both the rider and horse brain damage. 

image.png

5 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Illyrian Pirates.

Illyrian Light Cavalry

https://europabarbarorum.fandom.com/wiki/Illyrioi_Hippeis_(Illyrian_Light_Cavalry)

Getae

(Number 2) it's a shame I don't know the Cyrillic alphabet.

cf9957a20d3580b7f99ebf3d17043fad.jpg

The second one says something like 'trakiyski lyekov'or'zhen' (can't see the next two clearly). The word in brackets is khilokontist

• Thanks 1

No idea what those stuff meant but I think a mercenary jav cav + sword cav + mace cav would be solid options for cavalry.

We can also experiment with the concept of a slinger cavalry, although I am not sure if those ever existed. 

For infantry I would recommend just the typical spear, peltast, sword and sling. We can try a mace infantry as well to counter the Kushites and Mauryans. 

Further translations: 

trakiyski = Thracian

telokhranitel = bodyguard

odriskiyam = Odrysian

dinast = dynasty

tezhkov'or'zhen = heavily armed (тежко въоръжен)

konen = horse

lyekov'or'zhen = lightly armed (лековъоръжен)

Not sure about 'sitalk', but looks close to stalker or collide

Therefore the first one might be "Skirmisher of Odrysian dynasty" 

Second one might be "Thracian lightly armed cavalry"

Third one is "Thracian heavily armoured bodyguard cavalry"

• Like 2

About the picture. The languаge is Bulgarian. Yekaterina give the translation.... kinda.... but still:

1. "Ситалк" starts with capital letter so its a name. - the ruler of Edirne Sitalk, probably 

2. Тракийски лековъоръжен конен воин - Thracian lightly armed horse warrior( no translation for this, hipocontist maybe.....)

3. Тракийски тежковъоръжен конен воин - Thracian heavily armed horse warrior( bodugyard )

Edited by Ivaylo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Illyrian Pirates.

Illyrian Light Cavalry

https://europabarbarorum.fandom.com/wiki/Illyrioi_Hippeis_(Illyrian_Light_Cavalry)

Getae

(Number 2) it's a shame I don't know the Cyrillic alphabet.

cf9957a20d3580b7f99ebf3d17043fad.jpg

Illyrian pirates archers and swordmen mercenary - available from the docks like athens have theirs maybe and give them to romans because they conquered Illyrians after the Illyirian wars

But I would also prefer if we could get a balkan civ, maybe those wars for Illyiran independance from rome might make a good basis for some campaign?

And also make small, but faster and more deadly ships like an Illyirian pirate ship to accentuate their dominance in the adriatic sea at that time? Hero proposal: Teuta(na) -

Queen of the people: all Illyirians gain attack speed and bonus loot
Pirate queen buff: Illyirian ships + 15% speed and atk damage; and are made 10% faster from the dock inside aura

10 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I need ideas for Balkan mercenaries. Essentially mercs from the Balkan peninsula and area.

I was thinking:

Thracian Peltast

• Javelin Infantry

Illyrian Spearman

• Spear Infantry

Dacian Falxman

• Sword Infantry

Getae _____ ? 

Bastarnae _____ ?

Paeonian ____ ?

Need a couple cavalry ideas.

There should definitely be dalmatian archers with poisoned arrows - there are some historical texts that speak of a poison named "ninum" being applied to arrows in the roman period, adding dalmatian archer mercenaries would be a really nice buff for Romans in next alpha to make up for all those nerfs (like not getting siege from army camp and archers being able to destroy catapults and bolt shooters) - and I think we do Rome a disservice from a historical perspective when there is no mercenaries available even though they used the alliances with other tribes a lot (for example some Berber tribes fought for Rome against Carthage in Punic wars

Idea for an Illyrian swordsman, by Joan Francesc Oliveras Pallerols: 

illyrian_warrior_by_jfoliveras_dcuedos-fullview.jpg

He writes:

"Illyrian auxiliary warrior at the service of Alexander the Great. The Illyrians were an ancient people that inhabited the north-west of the Balkan Peninsula, along the Adriatic Sea. They were regarded as bloodthirsty and warlike people, influenced by foreign peoples like the Greeks or the Celts. Illyria was also seen as a land of pirates. A contingent of Illyrians accompanied Alexander the Great in his conquest of Persia, after he defeated an Illyrian revolt when he succeeded his father."

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQ0P2o

• Like 4

21 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I need ideas for Balkan mercenaries. Essentially mercs from the Balkan peninsula and area.

I was thinking:

Thracian Peltast

• Javelin Infantry

Illyrian Spearman

• Spear Infantry

Dacian Falxman

• Sword Infantry

Getae _____ ? 

Bastarnae _____ ?

Paeonian ____ ?

Need a couple cavalry ideas.

Getae could have Horse archer.

Paeonian served as light cavalry in the Macedonian army so could be cav (some sources say used javelins, other that they had spears like prodromos); they were one of the most hellenized Thracian tribes so could also get a heavy peltast with Thureos.

Additionally i think it would be good to have Celtic Scordisci swordsmen.

You could also have Yazyges heavy cavalry (either bow or lance) depending on timeline you want 

Bastarnae could be a cavalry unit too.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1